Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Torque Wrenches – what ratings?
  • marionheck
    Free Member

Feel the need to buy another tool to make me feel more manly whilst I am in my garage mending bikes, drinking beer, bench pressing huge weights and BBQ'ing big steaks.

All the one si have looked at have ranges of 0-20lbs – 20-120lbs 88-530lbs etc.

what is the lowest and hightest torque settings ona bike? what range in a torque wrench should i be looking for? quite like the look of teng ones.

I have 3/8" bits already so after one with that size driver.

All advise greatly received.

Dave

rootes1

for the bits that matter 0-20lbs/ft

for things that need doing up more then just do it by feel.

if i were you i would spend the money on beer instead…

Onzadog
    Free Member

The lowest I know of is the pince bolts on old Fox 36 for legs which were 2 point something Nm. Not a lot at all.

marionheck
    Free Member

what about the highest? presuem it is the cranks? liek the last years XTR and race face cranks. remember jumping up and down on the allen key to get that tight.

scruff
    Free Member

Get one with lots of different units, lb/ft, NM etc mine didnt have anything the Yank parts spec'd like Thomson stems. Its an easyish conversion using google but better to have it all on the wrench IMO. Oh, and you need 2 really, one for ickle & one for gorilla.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

You'll struggle getting one that will do everything on a bike. I ended up buying three different ones! Starting at 2-16Nm for the small one.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have two torque wrenches and neither get used much because they don't go low enough in the range for things like clamping brakes on carbon bars. Get the lowest range you can for the bits that get damaged if you over do it and do the rest using common sense. I can't see the need for a torque wrench for lockrings, pedals etc. I've always done them "by hand" and they've never come loose and never stripped threads. It's VERY easy to squash the end of some carbon bars just by tightening the collars on locking grips. Trust me 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think I've seen some stuff go up to 50 or 60 Nm. I use the two available from Park. Never liked the beam deflection type before but I'm actually really pleased with them.

psychle
    Free Member

Just ordered a TW-5 from Fatbirds, they've got it on offer for £90 which seemed good enough to me… it's 3-15nm

foxyrider
    Free Member

got a draper one cheap and does what I want – for low torques I dont use one but for biggies where you can run the risk of stripping threads i.e. crank bolts etc then I use one 🙂

StirlingCrispin

Draper ones are £16 on Amazon and have a I-could-own-someone-with-these feel to them.

Northwind

Remember very few torque wrenches are accurate at the end of their ranges, so frinstance getting a 5-25nm wrench and expecting it to be spot on at 5 and 25 nm is not very wise. Big values like XTR cranks aren't generally so sensitive- 1 or 2 nm either way on a 50nm bolt is nothing but 2 nm either way on a 5nm bolt could be trouble. So if you must have a torque wrench, go good quality for small values. Bigger values, you can get away with any old Draper/Clarke junk pretty much.

phil.w
    Free Member

If it's got ISO 6789 it'll be accurate to +/- 3% which is 0.15Nm when set at 5Nm, so not out by much.

Something like this. I'm not sure how bike shops justify charging £100+ for them though.

ShaunW1973
    Free Member

You'll do hard to get better than this bit of kit:

http://www.sport-torq.com/

Macavity
    Free Member

Norbar make some of the best torque wrenches around, plus they have a calibration facility that other manufacturers use.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I have the BBB one which is nice. Just had a bolt break that was meant to be torqued to 5-7Nm and I set it at 6Nm so hope it was accurate enough but how do I know? Broke 6 weeks/1000 odd miles later.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/21614/BBB_TorqueFix_Torque_Wrench

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Torque Wrenches – what ratings?’ is closed to new replies.