Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Top Gear – Clarkson's attitude towards cyclists
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Will electric car owners be berated for ‘not paying road tax’ like cyclists often are?

Yup. They already are.

And the RFL was originally a road tax, but hasn’t been for a while as you say 🙂

Northwind

Mark – Resident Grumpy

“Road fund licence is a licence to use a motorised vehicle on the road when that vehicle emits a certain amount of CO2. The roads aren’t paid from from this fund. Roads are paid for out of council tax by local authorities.”

Again, it makes absolutely no difference what you call it. The roads are paid for by tax, the fact that it’s not ringfenced doesn’t change this, the driving-specific taxes go into the tax pool, and roads are paid for out of it.

Roads aren’t specifically paid for out of council tax of course, which spoils your tax pedantry a little. Trunk roads are paid for by central government, and local roads are paid for from the overall council budget, which is partly council tax and partly central government funding. Which comes from various tax sources including those driving taxes.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Clarkson does it wind you up, get a sense of humour or reach for the remote. Made me laugh as I new he was been controversial on purpose because Hampster cycles.

PeteG55
    Free Member

I love how people get so pedantic about car tax. It still amounts to the same thing. Call it what you like, but its another tax on the motorist to go along with the fuel duty/tax and all the rest of it. Call it Road Fund Lisence or Vehicle Excise Duty or whatever the hell you like, it amounts to the same thing. The change to VED was/is just another attempt to give it a coat of greenwash.
    Clarkson is Clarkson, its what he does and if you don’t like it, don’t watch it.

Mark

It’s not a tax on the motorist if it doesn’t affect all motorists. It’s a levy on emissions of vehicles.
    We all pay into the central pot. Not all of us equally. The money that funds roads comes out of that pot. It’s a nonsense for ignorant motorists to claim they have more right to the road since they pay VED. The scale of charges linked to emissions would logically indicate that the more CO2 you emit the greater your right to drive on the road. Or equally that the more you earn and therefor the more tax you pay the greater your right to the road is.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Road fund licence is a licence to use a motorised vehicle on the road when that vehicle emits a certain amount of CO2.

If they start taxing methane emmisions I suppose some cyclists will become eligible…

DavidB
    Free Member

Clarkson is Clarkson, its what he IS PAID TO DO BY THE TV LICENCE PAYER

Fxd 4 u

PeteG55
    Free Member

If that is genuinely the case, abolish VED and stick it on the cost of fuel. That way you pay for what you actually use. Then its linked directly to emissions, real world fuel use and actual road use.

kimbers

i think the problem is that a significant proportion of the 5million or so people who watch top gear are dim enough to take on board what he says and then use it as ammunition on the jeremy vine phone in/justify themselves cutting up cyclists on the road

Mikeypies
    Free Member

JC was just winding up his mate all part of the script, JC and his wife apparently cycle too

kennyp
    Free Member

Change the channel, take a deep breath, pour yourself a drink……..and relax. He just does it to wind folk up. That’s what he’s paid for.

Mark

I thought it was funny..
    Even the ‘road tax’ bit 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

I follow kimbers line of view on this brand of humour.

Just remember how thick the average person is – and half the folk are more stupid than that.

I dislike Top Gear, but watch it. I like some bits, and not others. I’d need to be pretty damn quick with the remote to edit out the bits I personally don’t like. I think it is getting very drawn out.

This road tax debating is a waste of your life. Much like I’m wasting mine even bothering to comment on this damn forum…….

CaptJon
    Free Member

Cyclists do pay ‘road tax’ (or whatever you want to call it) if they own a car. Just like motorists are also pedestrians.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear – Clarkson's attitude towards cyclists’ is closed to new replies.