Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • "Too much exercise bad for you…"
  • Flaperon

So says the BBC.

“Scientists studied more than 1,000 healthy joggers and non-joggers over a 12-year period.

Those who jogged at a steady pace for less than two and a half hours a week were least likely to die in this time.

But those who ran more than four hours a week or did no exercise had the highest death rates.”

I run, not jog, so consider myself safe. I assume that the deaths in joggers are caused by boredom.

ourmaninthenorth

Increasingly it’s shown that too much exercise is associated with a higher than normal incidence of heart problems. What additional factors that have a causal relationship aren’t fully understood – even in specific cases like HCM and ARVC.

It’s a very hard message to take that exercise is bad for you and is to be avoided. Try not to be so glib.

soobalias
    Free Member

those who ran more than four hours a week

and as a runner, you are safe. ok.

maccruiskeen

So says the BBC.

So says the British Heart Foundation actually

As mentioned in the other thread theres nothing in the story that says how many of the people in the trial died, or what they died of. Unless the trial sampled groups that were either old or ill when the trial started then very few would have died in that timeframe. It wasn’t a BHF trial, we’re being allowed to assume the story is heart related, but nothing in the story suggests it is other than BHF’s supplied quotes

BillMC

Give yourself up, you’ll have more energy and lose those black rings around your eyes.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

doing anything to excess might kill you or at least shorten your life… I recall a quote about marathon runners taking five minutes off their lives every marathon? or some such thing.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    globalti
    Free Member

They got it wrong – they should have surveyed death rates in joggers who wear flouro jackets and joggers who don’t; everybody knows that, like our parents’ St Christopher dashboard medals, a flouro jacket protects you from accidental death or injury and even gives you instant authority over motorists, pedestrians, factory visitors, fork truck drivers, etc. etc.

BoardinBob

As the wise Bill Hicks said

“Does anyone remember this, when Yul Brynner died, and came out with that commercial after he was dead? ‘I’m Yul Brynner and I’m dead now.‘

What the ****’s this guy selling? I’m all ears.

‘I’m Yul Brynner and I’m dead now, because I smoked cigarettes.’

Okay, pretty scary. But they coulda done that with anybody. They coulda done it with that Jim Fixx guy, too, just as easily. Remember that guy, that health nut who died while jogging? I don’t remember seeing his commercial. ‘I’m Jim Fixx and I’m dead now. And I don’t know what the **** happened. I jogged every day, ate nothing but tofu, swam five hundred laps every morning, and I’m dead. Yul Brynner drank, smoke, and got laid every night of his life… he’s dead.

Shit.

Yul Brynner’s smokin’, drinkin’, girls are sitting on his cueball noggin every night of his life! I’m running around a dewy track at dawn. And we’re both ****in’ dead. Goddammit.

Yul used to pass me on his way home in the morning, big long limousine, two girls blowing him, cigarette in one hand, drink in the other. “One day that life is going to get to you, Yul.” ‘

They’re both dead. Yeah, but what a healthy looking corpse you were, Jim. Look at the hamstrings on that corpse! Look at the sloppy grin on Yul’s corpse! Yul Brynner lived his life. Sure, he died a 78-pound stick figure, okay. There are certain drawbacks.”

ton

my cardiologist told me the people who do endurance type sports are more prone to certain heart problems (in my case AF), than people who lead a more sedentary life.

I would not argue with a cardiologist.

molgrips
    Free Member

As the wise Bill Hicks said

Not entirely convinced he was all that wise tbh.

Edukator
    Free Member

Publish or die. Safe in the knowledge that the BBC will do an article on your work however nonsensical, contrived, biased or worthless your publication.

oldboy
    Free Member

Publish or die. Safe in the knowledge that the BBC will do an article on your work however nonsensical, contrived, biased or worthless your publication.

+1 to that. I’m even having doubts now about the integrity of the Today programme on Radio 4.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Haven’t there been a few miscreants who have designed a program that creates bogus and totally ridiculous scientific/engineering papers and had them published to prove a point?

poah
    Free Member

just like the paper that said fat is good for you

deadkenny
    Free Member

Too much of anything generally kills you. Though I don’t mind if it’s too much of something fun.

Long life however seems to be down to keeping active both mentally and physically, so long as you don’t have the C word or other underlying illnesses. Don’t have to be massively fit though, but take it too far the other way and sit on the sofa all the time you won’t last long. That’s why I’d like to avoid an old folks home if I can and stay active. I’ve seen people once they go in them and sat in a chair all day vegetating. They don’t last long. Though lose your marbles and you may have no choice.

Interesting though that with animals, often when they are wild animals in captivity or even domestic animals that are kept in the house, they tend to live much longer. Though probably because otherwise they get eaten (or run over if a domestic animal).

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

You can find a study to say whatever you like. Lots of messy data and stats its always going to take a while to get to the truth.

Elite athletes live longer than the general population: a meta-analysis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25128074

Competitive sports and the heart: benefit or risk?
    “Competitive exercise does not induce cardiac damage in individuals with healthy hearts, but does induce physiological functional and structural cardiac adaptations which have positive effects on life expectancy.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23450998

deadkenny
    Free Member

Women live longer. Maybe getting a sex change is the best option 😉

footflaps

Interesting though that with animals, often when they are wild animals in captivity or even domestic animals that are kept in the house, they tend to live much longer. Though probably because otherwise they get eaten (or run over if a domestic animal).

Hardly surprising really! Sat here watching two cats, with endless jabs, inoculations and flea treatments, basking in front of a nice warm fire rather than shivering under a tree outside in sub zero temps being eaten alive by lice, fleas, ticks, ringworm etc!

Junkyard
    Free Member

With that kind of logic you are half way there 😉

hora
    Free Member

Increased or city etc Jogging+next to roads+diesels=

jobro
    Free Member

Macavity has it.

“More or less” programme on Radio 4just tore this apart and explained the flawed statistical conclusion.

surfer
    Free Member

What jobro said

Plus Jim Fixx had serious heredity heart problems (his father died in his 30’s) I suspect “jogging” extended his life rather than shortened it.

gwaelod
    Free Member

More or Less was excellent on this

36 people … 2 of them died but no idea why…could have been plane crash or leprosy.

philjunior
    Free Member

Was just about to say what more or less, macavity, jobro and surfer said. And in fact what the statistical analysis on the original study said.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is just too much to worry about these days

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘"Too much exercise bad for you…"’ is closed to new replies.