• This topic has 25 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • told off for riding on footpath
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

i’ll start by saying this footpath is one of those footpaths that is really an access road for a farm but listed as a footpath anyway whilst riding up the “footpath” this afternoon myself and my brother were told off by the farmers wife for riding up there the irony is that she leaned out of the window of her 4wd drive pick up to tell us 🙄

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Assuming its on their land, then bang to rights in this case I’m afraid – access is determined by designation rather than suitability.

But maybe if you asked nicely they’d give you permission (if you care)?

IanMunro
    Free Member

So maybe more a case of don’t cycle up the driveway to my house, rather than don’t ride on the footpath?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s a fair cop for they are the owners, and not some random ramblers.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have happened in Scotland. (Unless there were english involved.)

woody2000

Where’s the irony?

Stoner
    Free Member

Where’s the irony?

In the OP’s misunderstanding of the laws around rights of way?

convert

access is determined by designation rather than suitability.

It’s funny how it has switched around over time. Originally the concept of bridleway/footpath designation was to reduce the load on landowners – footpaths are relatively easy to facilitate whilst bridleways require fully functioning gates etc for access on horses. If all public rights of way had been designated bridleways the workload for land owners to provide facilities would have been more onerous; they objected and hence the current system. Over the years the definitions have been switched to focus on preventing certain types of public access rather than their original purpose of putting requirements on landowners.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I treat all footpaths as bridleways monday to friday…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Great self pwnage, chapeau.

Bunnyhop

Same thing happened to myself and hubby in the Peaks a couple of years ago. The farmers son went ballistic and a neighbour had to calm him down.
    I was injured at the time after a fall, so the footpath (tarmaced) was a straight, flat section, however the bridleway ran above it steeply and down again. I thought he was going to knock me off and run over my bike he was that cross.
    The laws an ass.

7 MXers passed us today on a local BW and some walkers gave them grief. Everyone is fighting for their recreational space 🙁

flow
    Free Member

I find the most effective words are off and ****, but not in that order.

gingerss
    Free Member

Walkers should be reminded of the kinder trespass, and informed that this is our own mild civil disobedience. Sounds like the farmers wife has a chip on her shoulder, but technically in the right.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Just a thought, and a genuine enquiry. I understand that a landowner has vehicular rights over a footpath to reach his dwelling: what if he is not the landowner but a tenant farmer? What does the law say on this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d have thought anyone with possession of a property (owner or tenant) would have the same rights to get to it.

gingerss
    Free Member

I’d have thought that anyone could use whatever mode of transport they see fit with the land owners permission.

Waderider
    Free Member

English access laws are mad. You lot are soft to stand for it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have happened in Scotland.

Errrrrrrrrr……….. yes it would? The landowner can still tell you to f*** off if your on his land and he doesn’t want you there i.e. if your riding up someones driveway.

Cheezpleez

Had a similar thing today. Little used footpath that ends in a gravel road in front of several houses. Woman reversing her car down the road went absolutely mental. “****** private road ***** no cycling ***** blah blah blah.” Now, technically, I’m sure she’s well within her rights to tell us we’re not allowed there but I’m just baffled by the attitude of people who’d rather have a row than a) just see sense or b) ask us politely not to use the path again. I simply asked her what harm we were doing and then calmly pointed out that she wasn’t doing her blood pressure any good by working herself up over it.

Bottom line: if someone can show me that I’m doing harm (and that includes environmental, financial, inconvenience, invading privacy, etc) by riding somewhere then I’ll take notice. If not, I’ll ride pretty much where I like thanks very much.

miketually
    Free Member

Just a thought, and a genuine enquiry. I understand that a landowner has vehicular rights over a footpath to reach his dwelling: what if he is not the landowner but a tenant farmer? What does the law say on this?

Footpaths protect the right of access on foot, they don’t prevent other access.

RustySpanner

Cheezpleez – Member

I’m just baffled by the attitude of people who’d rather have a row than a) just see sense or b) ask us politely not to use the path again.

Bottom line: if someone can show me that I’m doing harm (and that includes environmental, financial, inconvenience, invading privacy, etc) by riding somewhere then I’ll take notice. If not, I’ll ride pretty much where I like thanks very much.

Do you not think they might be getting a bit annoyed by people constantly trespassing on their land?

bland

Pretend you are foreign and just ignore them in future

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

just returned from a great family meal out read all of the above and thought i had better clarify some points 1;- this “footpath” didn’t go to there house just a farm yard 2;- the farm is on army land so tennets 3;- the irony is that the tone of her voice surggested that we were causing damage to this road/footpath when she was in a dirty great big 4wd pick up causing more damage to the footpath and the enviroment than are two little bikes 4;- the law is an ass and if its ridable i’ll ride it and not give a flying f***.

RustySpanner

4;- the law is an ass and if its ridable i’ll ride it and not give a flying f***.

So why didn’t you just say that in the first place?

poly
    Free Member

Errrrrrrrrr……….. yes it would? The landowner can still tell you to f*** off if your on his land and he doesn’t want you there i.e. if your riding up someones driveway.

Not legally he can’t – unless you are actually in the cur tillage of his farmhouse. If he asked me politely then I’d certainly respect his wishes where possible – but if he told me to f*** off he’d find himself discussing the LRA(S) with the local authority access officer!

However I’ve never encountered a hostile Scottish Land owner/manager when I’ve been riding responsibly. The only hostility I’ve had in Scotland was on foot from an Englishman who got an “Educational” visit from the Access Officer a few days later!

mrmo
    Free Member

@Orange Crush, i believe the law would see the tenant farmer as the agent of the landowner. So to you as an end user it makes no difference, the tenant has every right to tell you where to go. As for the tenants use of the land again he is the agent so can do as he pleases as long as he does not breach the agreement in place with the landowner.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘told off for riding on footpath’ is closed to new replies.