Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Toddlers and eating
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Anyone else’s wee kiddie act like they’re constantly starving? My wee guy is nearly 18 months and no matter how much he has eaten, if I sit down with something he’ll be clamouring all over me whimpering and crying out for some! It’s hard work! This is in addition to him crying every time I leave the room he is in! Just wondering if it’s really normal for a wee one to be so needy/moany/opposite of calm all the time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think you’re describing pretty run of the mill toddler behaviour there. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

opposite of calm

= toddler

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

They’re growing half pints so yes it’s perfectly usual for this to occur.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was/am amazed at the amount of food they can get through. My 20 month old can eat pretty much all day long. Whilst it’s impressive to watch, it’s a nightmare to plan for.

crankboy
    Free Member

Todler behaviour read “Toddler Taming” I haven’t but apparently it is very good.
    Could well be a growth spurt.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Get stocking up on cheese strings and that’ll soon fill them up.

It’s inevitable that their diet will consist of this and Sunny D.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

My daughter is almost 18 months as well and the past 2 weeks her appetite has gone through the roof. It got very serious on Saturday morning when she tried to pinch my bacon bap. A bag of M and m’s and a full fat coke sorted it though 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I like kids … but I couldn’t eat a whole one

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Eldest (nearly 4) routinely eats 3 breakfasts
    Youngest (18 months) eats all matter within grasping distance animal,vegetable or mineral and once masticated to a pulp will offer a morsel for you to share.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Sweajnr is 18 months and eats for breakfast
    A bowl of shreddies or 2 weetabix
    A slice of toast + jam
    A handful blueberries / raspberries.
    250ml of full fat milk

This is at 6:30am ; by 8:30 or 9 he’s complaining he’s hungry (by standing by his highchair and pointing at food so he often gets a banana or some other fruit.

senorj

Yes.
    Separation anxiety can set in from 18 months , so normal behaviour.
    Currently enduring a bout of it whilst dropping off at nursery , which is a cheery way to start the day.
    Could be a growth spurt or he’s still hungry or you have a labrador puppy inside a toddler like I have…mine has 1st ,2nd and thirds too.
    And then some days won’t bother.grr.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My 1 year old can be pretty needy. I guess it’s frustrating that they understand so much of what’s going on and what they want / don’t want but don’t have the communication skills to let us know properly.

Re. the food. Yep. He eats nigh on the same as his 3 1/2 year old brother. Some days it’s almost non-stop. It’s the litre and a half of milk in between that amazes me.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Yes he usually has an adult size bowl of porridge at 7am, then a banana, then a slice of toast with butter or philly for breakfast. Then 9am he’s usually jumping all over me eating my toast wanting some too.

Good to hear from others anyway, we’ve no other experience of babies in the family to know what to expect.

Lunch is usually a plateful of whatever we had for dinner the night before, plus a bowl of plain yoghurt, and dinner the same, or soup and bread, beans on toast or similar. Plus snacks of grapes, oatcakes, breadsticks etc. I guess we need to get used to plying him with more and more food!

Very strict on anything junky, he’s never had a sweet or fizzy juice and no problems so far, though I appreciate he’s still young and will come across it loads.

Thanks!

steveoath
    Free Member

Over the last week or so jnroath’s appetite has skyrocketed. (2 next Sunday) But we’re struggling with getting veggies into her. She’ll happily munch on fruit but have resorted to kid on vegetable sausages. Hopefully things will improve as she gets older.

pictonroad

standing by the table with mouth agape like a baby bird is our toddler’s standard position. Will take any food from anyone, stranger or family, from Madras all the way down to wet cat food out of the bowl.

johndoh
    Free Member

She’ll happily munch on fruit but have resorted to kid on vegetable sausages. Hopefully things will improve as she gets older.

Homemade tomato pasta sauce with extra veggies always sorted our two out when they were younger – we managed to get lots of mushroom, courgette, carrot etc etc in there and they didn’t notice.

Now they are 6 but have to eat (or at least try) every vegetable on the plate that they are given (or take themselves).

Sometimes I feel sorry for them though – when I was a kid I would barely eat anything other than peas and potatoes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Toddlers and eating’ is closed to new replies.