Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Todays what laptop question
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

In need a new laptop but nothing fancy at all, just for storing small amounts of music/photos/web browsing, want to spend around £250ish.

(I know nothing about latest specs/what to go for as my current one has lasted since 2006)

Seen this one – good for the money? http://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-satellite-c850-1g5-laptop-intel-celeron-1000m-1-8-ghz-6gb-ram-500gb-15-6-black/p435524

Any advice appreciated.

Stoner
    Free Member

£230
    100Gb free cloud storage for 2 yrs
    16Gb SSD
    Slim, light, with an all day battery
    http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/chrome/devices/samsung-chromebook.html#ss-cb

Love mine.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

+1

Might also be better with a HDD equipped Chromebook – more space.

EDIT: …and less battery/more weight I think.

samuri
    Free Member

The original one is good spec and a reasonable price. Nothing wrong with it.

I’m not convinced Stoner’s option will suit your needs but it depends on what you mean by ‘small amounts’. the hard drive on the chromebooks while fast and efficient, are not big ones.

Stoner
    Free Member

depends whether you’re ready to go to the cloud.

I could drop my laptop tomorrow and replace it and be back where I was with all my data, music, and pics accessible in <5 minutes.

Later next week I have to recover 25Gb of pics & Music from my brother’s B-in-L’s dead HDD….

Stoner
    Free Member

the HDD Acer chromebook is £30 less, with a 320Gb HDD, but 1/3 less battery time and 25% heavier.

Stoner
    Free Member

I cant work out what the Chrome Book pixel is for though?

Who the hell is going to drop £1k on a linux laptop with an i5 in it?

madness.

duffmiver
    Free Member

you need a mac, anything else just doesn’t work.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Small amount of data – i have about 35gb of music and maybe 5gb of photo’s.

Chromebooks look good but i already have a wireless NAS drive to back everything up. Also read a few reports suggesting chromebook ‘idea’ is a bit of a flash in the pan…?

Probably leaning towards getting a normal style laptop but open to suggestions. Only thing is it wouldnt be used a great deal and most of my computer use is internet browsing on an ipad…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Stoner:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMZ5NwUrWc8[/video]
    Make sense? It’s for rich nerds.

Toshiba are good quality in my experience. Or what about a secondhand one Boz?

Stoner
    Free Member

Worth. Every. Penny. Then, gofasterstripes 🙂

I wouldn’t exactly call thin client computing a flash in the pan though.

schmiken

Just subscribing to this topic!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Todays what laptop question’ is closed to new replies.