Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • To dish or not to dish? Hope pro2/Maverick axle conversion
  • postierich
    Free Member

Bought some wheels for another bike freeing up another set (pro2) but they are for a Maverick fork so lucky enough to get a conversion axle for £10 off the classifieds, slots in nicely no faff. On fitting them to the fork I go for a spin and notice the wheel is all to cock does not feel weird. Will it eat the bearings will I die, hoping to keep the wheelset I have taken off as my winter/grotty tyre set up so just have to swop the cassette when the ice/snow comes.
    Dishing I take it is just a case of evenly loosening/tightening they are about 3mm out.

DSCF4179[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

boxfish
    Free Member

Just loosen/tighten a quarter turn on each spoke, assess, then repeat if necessary. Quick and easy!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Does it make any difference if you fit the axle the opposite way (if possible).

PS Do something about that brake hose. 😉

ajantom

As above – go around and loosen/tighten a quarter turn and then check. I think mine needed about a half turn to get it right.

The Pro 2 axle is smooth, unlike the Maverick one, and if you read the MTBR Maverick forum some people have had the axle clips snapping because of movement/slippage.
    The solution is to knurl the ends of the Pro 2 axle. If you have (or know someone who does) access to a machine lathe, then it’s a 10 minute job.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The CK axle is also smooth I have three and I’ve never found it a problem, if the axle clips snap it’s more likely due to the user failing to follow the Maverick tension instructions and over-tightening.

ajantom

Ethan – an ex-maverick employee who posts on MTBR and sells spares – suggested it when asked by other users who’d had problems. Think he did a bit of measuring and the Hope axle came up very slightly undersized, which the knurling cured.
    Anyway, a bit of extra grip on the axle won’t hurt.

postierich
    Free Member

Dibbs not a fan of zip ties!
    Reference the grip I do have slippage on my King axles very slight but to much for my liking,tempting to over tightening but after a costly snappage I take it easy when clamping up!
    Took a full one and a half turns!!!! after a precise true

DSCF4183[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘To dish or not to dish? Hope pro2/Maverick axle conversion’ is closed to new replies.