Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • TMB: Courmayeur towards Col Ferret – why the road route?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Looking at riding from Courmayeur to Ferret as part of a 'Tour du Mont Blanc'.

The walking route seems to have three variants, either Val Sapin or to Refuge Bertone and then either along Mont de la Saxe or round it into the Val Ferret.

The MTB few routes I've found on the web though all go up the road via Planpincieux and La Vachey. Even Sian and Carl from 'Endless' in Morzine (way better riders than me) look to have gone up the road.

Now I understand that all the offroad routes will have more climb than the road along the valley but climbing (and descending) is sort of what the TMB's about to me. There's nothing in the route guides that suggests that they're particularly rough sections of the walk.

So…. can anyone cast any light on why the bike routes tend to avoid the main TMB route(s) for this bit?

higgo
    Free Member

anyone?

john_l
    Free Member

We did it the other way & from what I remember about the descent off the top of the col it's pretty technical – you'd be carrying rather than riding up.

freeridenick
    Free Member

time – most people seem to rush it somewhat in my opinion and often miss out the best sections of the main drag. Its pretty stunning up on mont de le saxe…if you have time then do it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Maybe too steep – doesn't take much of a gradient!

Shandy
    Free Member

I have a couple of guidebooks here, they both mention a steep climb out of Courmayeur that might actually be a carry. It also looks like there could be a lot of traversing on rockier ground after the Bertone refuge, and then a choice of traversing further or descending from the Bonatti refuge, which also looks like a possible carry.

It looks like a nice part of the walk, but it seems like you might have to be prepared for a long day without covering a lot of kilometres.

Ming
    Free Member

Did the TMB last summer from Cham. I didn't do to much of the navigation but we stayed away from the road in the most part. If you avoid the road, most of the climbing is pushing and carrying. The decents more than make up for the climbs though and we all had an amazing week doing it.

higgo
    Free Member

time – most people seem to rush it somewhat in my opinion and often miss out the best sections of the main drag. Its pretty stunning up on mont de le saxe…if you have time then do it.

I have a couple of guidebooks here, they both mention a steep climb out of Courmayeur that might actually be a carry. It also looks like there could be a lot of traversing on rockier ground after the Bertone refuge, and then a choice of traversing further or descending from the Bonatti refuge, which also looks like a possible carry.

I think I'll switch plans and aim to use the slog/push/carry up Mont de le Saxe unless I'm short of time in which case I'll use the road. I'm planning to do this section in an afternoon so I'll see how I'm doing for time when I get into Courmayeur. If I'm doing all right, I'll grab a quick pannini and a doppio espresso and press on!

I'm sure the road is a lovely but of road but I'd rather be riding along this: http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/478516

freeridenick
    Free Member

Make sure you have a pizza at the Tunnel restaurant in Cormayeur. Size of dustbin lids….. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘TMB: Courmayeur towards Col Ferret – why the road route?’ is closed to new replies.