Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Titanium road bike recommendations
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Looking at investing a new Ti road bike. Sportive possibly light touring type, not an out and out race bike.
    Max budget of about £2750.

The Enigma look good value for a British Enigmaframe:

Also looking at Sabbath and Van Nicholas.
    Van Nicholas
    Sabbath

Can anyone recommend any of the above?

TheFlyingOx

Your perfect bike is the Moda Motif 2011.

I’ve seen one in the flesh and it is very, very easy on the eye. Under budget too.

jamesb
    Free Member

Very happy with my Van Nic Yukon, takes mudguards for all year riding, stripped weight is probably 18-19lb (campag centaur build). Very comfy, only slightly slower uphills than my carbon road bike as flexier BB area. Buy one ride it all year 🙂
    Have used mine for winter riding with cheap end Fulcrum wheels, sportives, C2C Pyrenees, training, enjoyment riding
    You woudl be well under budget too, frame + forks+ headset ~£900

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I’m toying with getting an Enigma Echo. For that price you could also get the Cube Lightning with full Ultegra and still have change.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I am starting to edge towards the Enigma Echo, with a custom build frame. It will mean 105 instead of Ultegra but the frame should last forever.
    Echo

Although the Etape looks to have a very similar geometry and has rack and mudguard mounts. Etape

BigR

I have had a VN Zephyr for 5 years now and it has been fantastic. Built up with a ultegra triple (don’t laugh), open pro/dura ace wheels and middle of the road kit it is 19.5lbs with atac pedals. I am 13 1/2 stone and have never felt any flex in the frame. Apart from the ride the best part was the price from Big Al at Wheelcraft north of Glasgow – £1450.
    I have chopped and changed MTBs over the years but have no desire to change the road bike.

MoreCashThanDash

Going well under budget, Spa Cycles do their own badged Ti audax bike which might fit the bill – look under my previous posts for a thread about CTC magazines, someone posted a link to the review on there

That said, I do like the Enigma bikes, but if you are thinking of light touring I’d have thought that the Enigma would have been better being able to take a rack and mudguards. The mag review of their steel MTB was very favourable

LardLover
    Free Member

My mate has the VN Mistral, well under your price range but bloody gorgeous it is, thinking of getting one myself after trying his out.

My next door neighbour has the VN Amazon – touring bike. That too is a thing of beauty.

toys19
    Free Member

qoroz

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I have a Van Nicholas Chinook which is a great frame however this is my third warranty replacement after I broke two Zephyrs and a previous Chinook, all at the bottom bracket weld point.

No flex BigR? I am the same weight as you and all I can say is you are not trying hard enough! 😉

Hopefully this one will last a bit longer but I can’t fault VN’s lifetime warranty and customer service. If you want a frame for life get a VN.

Cletus

I bought a Planet X Ti Sportive bike with Dura Ace for £2k two years ago. The frame was actually made by Lynsky. Very pleased with it but am not sure whether they are still selling them.

Bazz

I think PX are all out of Ti road frames at the moment, but i’m sure i heard that the next ones that come in are going to be made by Van Nicholas, not sure on when though.

GJP
    Free Member

IMO Enigma are much better finished than Sabbath or Van Nicholas. Otherwise check out Burls.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Lynskey Cooper – built with chorus 11 speed for significantly less than your budget. Love it.

[/url][/img][/url][/img][/url][/img]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Titanium road bike recommendations’ is closed to new replies.