Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tips for seeing TDF in person as a spectator
  • Tinners

Week off next week. Thinking of going with a few pals to see the tour de France. Not decided on the exact details of where, but are there any general tips about viewing it – how soon to arrive, reality of parking nearby, where to see it (quiet road along the way or big town, near the finish where things get exciting or on a mountain relatively speaking?).
    Nothing’s planned and very spontaneous, so any general advice welcome. Probably going by car, strikes willing. Maybe you might think it’s not worth the effort and better seen on TV? Never seen it and feel I ought to at least once in my life.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

The road book is available online, I think there is a link in the main TdF thread here, its worth downloading it and then you can see the route and will know which roads to avoid/use to move about. You should be able to pick a few spots to watch from on each stage. They are “only” doing 45-50kmh or so so you can watch, then jump in the car, head on up the stage and park up again.

Stage starts and finishes are hugely over rated, very busy and a bit dull, you’ll need to be there very early to see anything. I’d personally find some small towns on route, they get into the spirit of it all and are nice places to stop for a few beers.

There arent any hills in the first week of note, you could try to get to one of the cobbled sections on stage 4 but it will be very busy so you will need to plan ahead.

tinribz
    Free Member

Don’t forget the deck chair.

bigG
    Free Member

We’ve been to see it a few times. Wherever you’re going to watch it get there early and properly prepared for a long wait. Think 3 hours before the stage comes through at least.

Last time we did it we found a nice layby, parked up, were soon joined by a bunch of lunatic french folk with the worlds biggest BBQ. They invited us to join their BBQ and to help them drink the european wine/beer mountain they’d brought with them. Suffice to say there may well have been a bike race going on that day but it wasn’t the highlight of our day.

Stage start & finish are not worth the hassle in my opinion. The stage timings on the TDF site are really useful and pretty accurate.

The caravan is fun, don’t beg for the stuff and be prepared to watch grown men and women lose their dignity scrabbling in the gutter for a free sample of washing liquid.

When the riders come through they aren’t hanging around. So if you’re interested in seeing riders over a long period you need to go to a climb. Good luck getting onto the famous ascents.

It’s a great festival, we’ve been to see it because we’ve been on holiday in France at the time. Not sure I’d make a special trip from Scotland just to see it though.

Enjoy it if you do go. We’re missing it this year.

pirahna
    Free Member

Take bikes and ride some of the course.

The best stage I’ve seen was Ventoux a couple of years ago. Nowhere near the mountain, we were camping near Vaison La Romain and intended watching from the shade of the trees at the sprint point in Malaucene. So, take a back road to the edge of town, the road is already blocked, Gendarmes let us through and we pedal off. Lots of bored spectators line the road and all start clapping and cheering as we pass. A few miles later we get to the green barriers for the sprint, the green PMU glove people had already been round the crowd and the noise of several hundred banging the barrier was incredible. I told wifey to sprint for the line and we got a massive cheer.

DougD

Went last year and it was great. Stayed in bardonecchia then cycled over to briancon then up the izoard, did the full climb then came back down about 50m or so and got a great view of the valley. Would recommend watching it on a climb as it strings the riders out. Atmosphere was fantastic

40mpg

Off tomorrow to watch the prologue in Utrecht, the finish in Zelande and on a 4th cat climb near Huy. We tend to park up somewhere and cycle in or up the route as its just great cycling in Europe. As above, if you get on the route ( roads close at least an hour before race comes through, and before that for caravan) everyone cheers you through.

Last year we caught the race just after the start at Ypres, hopped in the car and saw them on the cobbles in the rain. Amazing! Plenty of room last year to watch on the cobbles as there were about 30 sections, some kilometres long so everyone spread out.

Few years back I was stood 100yds past the finish. Cav won the sprint and pulled up right in front of me! Got a quick photo before he was swamped.

Great atmosphere in any town on the route. Just roll up and pitch in. Race does pass in a flash though. Looking forward to the TT prologue as should get to see everyone pass!

crazy-legs

Take food, drink, suncream, sun hats and umbrellas.
    Be prepared for a long wait, 3hrs is about right if you’re anywhere even vaguely popular just because of the crowds and road closures.

A week in advance if you’re thinking of watching on Alpe d’Huez!

There must have been a dozen different nationalities within spitting distance of us yet somehow everyone got by just fine and understood each other, had a laugh, shared food and drink and helped the kids stand near the barriers.

Don’t even think about driving to it, the roads before and after will be carnage. Park up in some little village a few miles away, ride or walk over to where you want to watch and be prepared to wait it out once the race has gone by for traffic to die down a bit.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you want to watch the race and see the tactics, best on TV. If you want to have a good time with like minded people go and find a vantage point by the road, best if you are on a hill so the riders go past (a bit) slower.

vickypea
    Free Member

We’ve seen the Tour twice, and I’d recommend getting there about 3 h before it’s due and cycle there rather than trying to drive and park.
    We saw the Tour on Ventoux two years ago. We were camping an hour’s ride away from Bedouin at the foot of the mountain, so we found out what time the road would be closed, and cycled over there with plenty of time to spare and rode about three-quarters of the way up Ventoux. Thousands of people were already there, it was a brilliant atmosphere.
    We took suncream, food, loads of water and a change of shoes so we weren’t standing around in road shoes.

leffeboy

Local sim with data, iPad and eurosport sub for the month. You’ll be able to see what is happening up the road and you will soon be surrounded by others wanting to watch and chat. Even just for the audio it’s great

Climbs are good places as that tends to concentrate the spectators and it’s the atmosphere that you go for as you only see the riders for 30 secs or so

hatter

Another option is to find a vantage point near to a cafe or bar that’ll be showing the race live,then you can stay cool and ‘hydrated’ until the race gets close then run out to catch the caravan and the riders, shout like a loon and then run back in again to see who actually wins.

Again, generally a cracking atmosphere.

Caught the Giro going through Castelfranco a few years back, was sat at table right on the piazza with a cold drink in my hand as the riders buzzed past a few feet away, very civilized.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Watch from the outside of a corner, not the inside. And get there really early.
    We were about 100m from the Stage’s finish line 2 years ago and had the big screen opposite all day. But unfortunately it was the inside of the corner and you don’t get a good view when the actually come past

ahwiles
    Free Member

…found a nice layby … joined by a bunch of lunatic french folk with the worlds biggest BBQ. They invited us to join their BBQ and to help them drink the european wine/beer mountain they’d brought with them. Suffice to say there may well have been a bike race going on that day but it wasn’t the highlight of our day.

this is more or less the correct answer.

it’s mostly about making sure you’ve got enough to drink and eat and drink, + something comfy to rest in/on.

done well, the party starts the night before.

Tinners

Thanks for all the replies. Just the information I need.
    Hatter – I like your style.
    Thanks, folks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tips for seeing TDF in person as a spectator’ is closed to new replies.