Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • tips for killing a neighbours tree off slowly please.
  • slightreturn
    Free Member

hey, my neighbour is a full weight c**k, and will not do the right thing and consider the people around him and has let a mountain ash tree get big blocking everything off. Therefore i would like it to die off over a long period of time so not to look suss.

any ideas please thanks AK

crispybacon
    Free Member

Try here hth

soops
    Free Member

Copper nails! Lots of them!!

sharki
    Free Member

‘Right of light’ and access rights, etc.

Contact the council

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I here diesel works a treat- mate of mine is still in two minds about doing his monkey puzzle tree with it, sap on his car pisses him right off !

Davy
    Free Member

‘Right of light’ and access rights, etc.

Contact the council

There’s bugger all they can do, if it’s not part of a hedge. You have NO right to light, views etc. If it’s part of a hedge it’s possible that they could force the owner to keep it below 2m high, but they also have to take into account what effect cutting it back would have on the health of the hedge etc, so unless it’s going to survive a severe chop, they won’t enforce.

If the tree is overhanging your property, you have the right to chop the branches back to your boundary, but you must offer to return what you chop off, as it technically belongs to your neighbour. Don’t just throw them back over the fence like my neighbour did.

TBH, if the tree is just blocking your view/sunlight etc, rather than physically impeding you, you should probably just learn to live with it. After all, it’s just a tree, and probably not worth falling out with your neighbour over (assuming you haven’t already burnt that bridge…). Things could be worse, you could have a complete c*ck-jockey living next door to you going out of his way to make life difficult for you. That’s what we’ve got… 😕

anagallis_arvensis

salt round the base

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you want proper stealth death do this (apparently)

Buy a 20 mm hole saw, a long 10mm timber drill bit and then go to the chemist and get a tub of copper sulphate crystals.

Use the hole saw to cut a small “Cork” out of the trunk, then drill deep into the trunk with the long 10mm drill bit, mix the copper sulphate crystals with some water to form a runny paste, like ketchup.

Pour this down the hole, replace the bung and repeat a few times round the stump.

Death but slowly and no obvious external marks like copper nails 8)

rj
    Free Member

Very small axe?

halfbee
    Free Member

copper nails – you don’t even need that many

phildowling
    Free Member

Drink lots of cider in the pub and take a slash on it everytime on the way home from the pub….sure the acid level take effect eventually

takisawa2

Fire.
    And call it spontaneous combustion.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you should move, all this killing his tree etc is just far to much hastle.

Or you could wait for them to go on holiday and cut it down, at night, deny an knowledge.

Simples.

Nico
    Free Member

Bombers.

aw
    Free Member

dont do it – it is illegal

Trampus
    Free Member

How old is this tree?

Spongebob
    Free Member

they could force the owner to keep it below 2m high, but they also have to take into account what effect cutting it back would have on the health of the hedge etc, so unless it’s going to survive a severe chop, they won’t enforce.

Getting the High Hedges bill passed was a long and arduous process, but councils have made a farce of this law. The comment above would be one example why. For a hedge issue to be investigated, I believe there is a charge of a few hundred pounds – deterring many complaints. I don’t think councils like to get involved in any form of neigbour dispute – they don’t really give a damn! So the High Hedges Bill may as well never been passed!

TBH, if the tree is just blocking your view/sunlight etc, rather than physically impeding you, you should probably just learn to live with it. After all, it’s just a tree, and probably not worth falling out with your neighbour over (assuming you haven’t already burnt that bridge…). Things could be worse, you could have a complete c*ck-jockey living next door to you going out of his way to make life difficult for you. That’s what we’ve got…

Erm no, i just don’t agree! If your home and garden are deprived of light, you end up living in a gloomy space. Light deprivation is a serious issue! What right has an individual got to destroy a neighbour’s enjoyment of his/her costly home, or even his/her well being? What right does a council have to put the health of a poxy hedge before the health and happiness of a human being? Quite bonkers IMO! What about the health and safety of the neigbours that balance precariously on ladders on a steep uneven borders to cut the overhang into their property because numpty doesn’t look after his/her own hedge/trees?

We have a neighbour close to us who goes out of their way to pxss everyone off – i’ll spare you the full details. His trees and a hedge are two out of several issues we routinely experience from him. The guy next door is currently employing an arboriculturist to produce a report on the effects of a neglected Willow that is towering above our gardens. The offending tree is huge, but the ground rises steeply from the rear of our homes, exasurbating the issue. The same tree resulted in us being refused a mortgage 17 years ago due to the potential threat of subsidence. But as the owner at the time performed annual prunning, it was not a problem. Then he moved out and numptyy moved in. They kicked off with a party and staged their live band in the garden which went on until 3am! FFS!

Don’t let people bully you! If people are blatantly and consitently disregarding their neighbours after numerous polite approaches, then falling out with them is par for the course! Letters detailing your issues and what you want done about them first and then if this fails, the council need to be involved. This neighbour of ours has had numerous people complaining to the council about them, but they take very little notice. The anxiety that my retired neighbour is experiencing isn’t funny!

So what’s next? Hope numpty gets a fatal bout of Swine flu? I’d rather he moved out, but this seems very unlikely. We only have one life, one expensive home, spoilt by bullies. That is unacceptable! They should use ASBO laws on people like this.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The people who are suggesting copper nails, have you actually tried this on a decent sized tree, or are you just repeating recieved wisdom?
    It just strikes me as taking decades for the copper from a nail to disolve enough into solution to do anything useful.

darrell
    Free Member

here in Norway we have the right to have a view. so if a tree (young or old) is obstructing the view of something (harbour, sea, a hill, the shops) then you can demand the tree be removed. This even applies for new houses and old trees.

hora
    Free Member

What are those bags of white stuff that you can get (in a huge tub) from homebase? Kills grass/weeds for upto a year. Its the only stuff I know that actually WORKS on our garden. worth a try.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Very small axe?

Inspired! 🙂

Bimbler
    Free Member

Paraquat?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If the tree is overhanging your property, you have the right to chop the branches back to your boundary, but you must offer to return what you chop off, as it technically belongs to your neighbour

While technically correct this always makes me laugh. As if you are going to get sued for a few tree branches. Returning them is likely to be like rubbing salt in anyway.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just offer to go halves on a Tree Surgeon with him, thats what I do with my Neighbour.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Buy Monkeys . . .

Release Monkeys . . .

Watch Monkeys populate . . .

Watch Monkeys copulate . . .

Watch Neighbour call tree surgeon . . !!

SORTED!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Gradual ring barking should work.

Remove a small section of bark at one point of the trunk. Repeat as different heights all the way around the trunk and it will die.

If you spread the process over a few months it will look more natural as the tree will gradually get weaker and sickly before dieing. If you start low below the grass line it won’t show initially either.

mudshark
    Free Member

I suggest you take some photos so we can see what we’re dealing with….

BigDummy
    Free Member

Freeridenick’s solution is beautifully elegant, constructive and civilised. It is therefore very unlikely to work.

Whathaveisaidnow’s proposal is far-fetched, amusing, childish and destructive. You should adopt it immediately.

🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member
    MrAgreeable

One word. Beavers.

Sandwich

That’s what this site needs. More Beavers 😆

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

One word. Beavers.

Inspired. They’d need to be giant beavers with a river canyon to dam mind 🙂

kiwijohn

psyclone1976
    Free Member

Start to breed woodpeckers for a livving and let them loose on the tree so they can slowly chip away at it and destroy it….if you can train them then you can get them to work on the same section of tell and actually fell it!!!

hora
    Free Member

OP. where do you live? I’ll get my girlfriend to come round and talk/nag the tree. Shes deft at killing all her plants here at home so it must work.

ScotlandTheScared

If the tree roots were to be found to be causing structural issues with your house then maybe the council would be able to do something…

thomthumb
    Free Member

tree surgeon tells me diesel round the base – although this will kill grass show up in the tree – if a forensic scientist ever looks at it!!!

Spongebob
    Free Member

How about having a a very very large bonfire right next to it?

richpips
    Free Member

Diesel is hardly death by stealth. It stinks.

baa
    Free Member

As Davy said, learn to live with it, I had real neighbours from hell,
    in fact she probably got kicked out of hell.
    So if it’s choice of a tree or music till 4am, I’d take the tree

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘tips for killing a neighbours tree off slowly please.’ is closed to new replies.