• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by whyme.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Time to upgrade, 9 speed to 10 speed..Advice please.
  • vermillion
    Free Member

So I’m thinking of moving from 2×9 to 2×10.
    I’ve managed perfectly well with 2×9 but getting hold of components on the classifieds is getting harder and I no longer want to by new when 9 speed is clearly becoming obsolete.
    Things I need to know.
    1.Will 10 speed chainrings fit my old XT crankset.
    2.Will a 10 speed cassette fit on my current freehub.
    3.Do I need to change the front mech.

Thanks in advance.

stevied
    Free Member

10 speed chainrings should fit, just check the hole BCD. Newer rings tend to be 104mm
    The cassette will fit your current hub.
    Not sure about the front mech. You can try it 1st and, if it doesn’t work, replace.

flicker
    Free Member

Chain rings and cassette will fit fine on your existing crank and freehub and front mech should be fine too.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Chainrings shouldn’t be an issue but as above check teh BCD as there are loads these days. I’m running old Race Face AM cranks and haven’t had an issue to date.

Nothing more to add on the above.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Still on 8 speed here although my spares of M737 cassettes are getting slim. may need to ‘upgrade’ shortly too.

edward2000
    Free Member

im about to split my dh bike as ive purchased a new one. It’s 9 Speed, X9 mech and X0 shifter. Interested?

midlifecrashes

Providing it’s not worn out and will be happy on a new chain, everything at the front can stay. Minimum needed is chain, cassette, rear mech, rear shifter. If you get your shifters as a pair, the new front will work fine with your old mech and rings/chainset.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m thinking of missing out 10 speed. I think I can hold onto 9 long enough for 11 to trickle down.

aazlad
    Free Member

Stick with 9 speed! It’s cheap as chips brand new and does the job very well. 9 speed parts will be available for ages. You can still buy 8 speed.

cookeaa

I’m thinking of missing out 10 speed. I think I can hold onto 9 long enough for 11 to trickle down.

Probably not a terrible idea really.

If 2xN or 3xN drivetrains are your preference then I don’t really see much point in going 10 speed right now…

For 1xN using 10 and 11 speed cassettes with slightly broader range starts to make sense, but it brings additional cost, and it’s not exactly impossible to ride a bike with one less sprocket and no clutch mech TBH…

While I like having 1×10 at the minute, I could have lived fine without it TBH…

vermillion
    Free Member

Aazlad

Stick with 9 speed! It’s cheap as chips brand new and does the job very well. 9 speed parts will be available for ages

Just checked crc and compared prices,,not much difference in price between 9 and 10 speed.
    The 9 speed stuff I take of my full suss will keep my Hardtail going for longer.

im about to split my dh bike as ive purchased a new one. It’s 9 Speed, X9 mech and X0 shifter. Interested?

Edward2000,,I prefer Shimano but thanks anyway

whyme
    Free Member

I lived with 1×9 (and the limited 1st gear of 32) for a good while. Am going 1×10 on replacement stuff but handing the 9 speed stuff down to the hartail that is still on 3×9.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Time to upgrade, 9 speed to 10 speed..Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.