Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Timber Laminate floor
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any good? I see Carpetright have got some decent prices at the moment.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What is timber laminate floor?? Machined flooring or solid wood??

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get engineered rather than solid – less chance of warping.

Google real oak flooring in Leeds – they are very good.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks, but Leeds is out as I am in West Sussex.

Wrightyson: Laminate flooring is a patterned laminate bonded to a fibreboard substrate:

Top Layer – A sheet of clear paper cellulose impregnated with melamine and microscopic granules of aluminium oxide. The melamine assists the permanent bonding of the layers while the aluminium oxide affords the product extraordinary wear and scratch resistance.

The Design Layer – Four coloured printed paper that features the design and pattern of the quickstep laminate floor.

HDF Core – is a high density fibreboard and has two purposes, the first is being moisture resistant and the second is indentation resistance.

The Bottom Layer – This layer stabilises the construction while providing additional resistance to moisture.

geoffj

So just laminate then.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes, but with a timber effect 🙄

wrightyson
    Free Member

So is that an engineered board then. I’ve got 18mm solid French oak in all rooms bar kitchen downstairs. It’s been phenomenal over the last 7/8 yrs in a slightly damp 20’s house. With our two kids reckon we’d be on our third carpets now!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Op – they will send samples out and deliver

geoffj

So is that an engineered board then.

No it’s a fibre board with an artificial wood design on the top.

mikey74
    Free Member

The problem with engineered flooring is it’s thickness: I’d have to replaced all the skirtings and shave the bottom of the doors.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Solid: Solid

Laminate: What the OP described. Nearly always a printed picture of timber on a fibreboard base.

Engineered: multiple different things, but essentially a hardwood wear layer (anything from a couple to seven or eight millimetres) glued to a layered construction underneath, generally plywood.

geoffj

mikey74 – Member
    The problem with engineered flooring is it’s thickness: I’d have to replaced all the skirtings and shave the bottom of the doors.
    POSTED 44 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

It would look good for longer though!

mikey74
    Free Member

It would look good for longer though!

True. That’s kinda why I was asking for opinions on laminate flooring, as I suspect it may not be as long-lasting. I have also heard that laminate does look like laminate, if you get my meaning.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And when laminate begins to wear it looks shit. Real wood just gets more character with the dings and scratches.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Learnt something today.

agk47
    Free Member

laminate has improved a lot in recent years but i’d still go for real wood…i found differences in sound when walked on…imho wood is a superior sound opposed to a cheaper clickety-clack of laminate.
    I inderstand that it’s going to be a pain in the arse with doors/skirting but you’ll be glad you did.

Rockape63
    Free Member

laminate is cheap and nasty horrible stuff. An engineered wood floor is not very expensive and look and feels (under bare foot) so much better.

Best if you can get the single plank rather than the triple bits that look a bit cheap.

Solid wood needs a lot more work to install and upkeep.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Get engineered rather than solid – less chance of warping.

Google real oak flooring in Leeds – they are very good

Have you used this company? If so did you go engineered or solid? Looking for our new kitchen/open plan area but can’t decide with is best with dog & kids.

Ta

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes I did – they were very good and, although they accidentally recommended the wrong sealant (because their supplier gave them incorrect information) initially, they stood the cost of replacement floor AND fitting which I think says lots for their customer service.

We chose engineered oak for an entrance/sun room through diner.

They also have a good showroom.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

cheers for the advice, will head over and take a look.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have solid oak, it was £18/m2 from Floors 2 go.

It defintiely looks better than laminate, and it’s warmer underfoot too I think

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Timber Laminate floor’ is closed to new replies.