Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tidying up a front bumper
  • chomp
    Free Member

Looking for suggestions on how to tidy up this parking scrape, I don’t fancy painting the whole car yellow to hide it, but if I can get it looking less obvious the wife won’t be in as much trouble when she gives the car back to her parents !

johndoh
    Free Member

Orbital polisher, T-Cut and a bit of patience (don’t push too hard) – it’s amazing just how much will lift back out.

Or put some ‘Motorsport’ type stickers over it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think you will be able to remove the yellow with a light abrasive polish/cleaner but it will do nothing to hide the scratches

Needs to be a proper repair looking at that – assuming the grey scratches are deep and not just surface stuff- possibly try a colour coded polish as it will look a lot better than that but still visible

Essentially clean, repair with filler, smooth it, spray it, seal it /lacquer it.
    not that hard but not helped by it being on a curved part

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Repair-Plastic-Bumper-Scratches/

johndoh
    Free Member

Of course my suggestion doesn’t guarantee a fix, but it’s worth seeing how much will lift out before taking a more expensive option.

zippykona

The yellow will wash off with thinners but the rest is Donald ducked.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Use G3 Scratch remover works very well and can be done by hand. You will still be left with the scratches on the plastic, which will need filling and touching up with small brush or spray.

Junkyard
    Free Member

true and it also depends on the age of the car

I meant no slight on you /your suggestion if it reads that way
    Apologies

P-Jay
    Free Member

Smart repair TBH, depending on how fussy the inlaws are, or at least how bad the rest of the car is.

2bit

Similar thing happened to our driver side door last might but white on a black car.

Damp kitchen roll to get the excess off
    Then toothpaste on another K roll & circles over the scratches cleaned it up right good.

I’m now left with a quandry as to how to fill in the scratches as its down to metal

Torn between Renaults own kit or Chipex which gets (mostly) positive reviews

johndoh
    Free Member

I meant no slight on you /your suggestion if it reads that way
    Apologies

None needed – when I rad it back to myself I realised it sounded like it was a solution which of course it may not be.

sweepy
    Free Member

Did you do the thread title on purpose?
    I’ve got no explanation for why I opened the thread when it read the way it did on my phone?

kormoran
    Free Member

You could email some pics to some of the mobile repair techs and get an idea of how easy it is to fix and how much. Did this recently on a dent and ended up getting it fixed on the drive for 60 quid. Completely unnoticeable now. Least you’ll know what is possible outside a bodyshop

+1 to the above though, paint marks will come off easy enough but leave scratches.

chomp
    Free Member

Car is about 10 months old and is the only mark on it.

I’ll see what I can do as we are using it all weekend. I’m happy to get it sorted but won’t have chance until after the inlaws have taken it back so would just like to lessen their reaction as much as possible.

Thanks for the ideas

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tidying up a front bumper’ is closed to new replies.