• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Thule roof Bike Racks.
  • Saccades
    Free Member

Loads of numbers, all appearing to do the same thing, apart from the Sprint, which won’t fit to my square bars.

I want a thule bike rack to fit my 2.35″ 26″ hardtail to (456) for the occasional trip to the UK, so lower on price but not too fussed on how hard to fit it so long as it’s good for 75mph, oh and I don’t want to take the front wheel off (no where to put it as the car will be full and the roofbox too).

Thanks in advance.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

591 of course – or the new version of it (can’t remember the number).

grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve had roof racks, and boot racks, hated them, so got a tow bar and tow-bar mounted rack instead

ratherbeintobago

591 of course – or the new version of it (can’t remember the number).

598?

A friend got two 591s off the ‘Bay for less than the price of a new 598 and I’m not sure there’s much difference between them.

superstu
    Free Member

591 for me

nickdavies

Thule 591. 598 not really any better unless you want to protect a carbon frame with a torque limiter… for those who tighten things until they break.

The cheaper one is a bit crappy, 591 is the best value imo. I throw a toe clip around the jaws just to be safe.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

591 – all you’ll ever need.

They have locking clamps, and I back that up with a big motorbike cable-lock going through the frame and wheels, which gives better security that one of those racks that clamps onto the rear boot lid.

Just don’t forget it’s there when entering car-parks etc..

The extra wind resistance will knock a couple of mpg off your fuel consumption on motorways, but at least if it’s raining, it washes the bike !

Saccades
    Free Member

Cheers all – 591 it is.

grannyjone – Member
    I’ve had roof racks, and boot racks, hated them, so got a tow bar and tow-bar mounted rack instead

Getting a towbar is an expensive pita for the occasional use I intend it for and I can’t fit a rear rack (tailgate isn’t strong enough)

geoffj

I’ve had 591s and now have 598s because I wanted the wider wheel trays for the fat bikes.
    The 598 is the evolution of the 591 and worth the extra IMHO

velomanic
    Free Member

I’d happily recommend the 598, easy to use and it does the job very well. I went for the WingBar roof rack as it saves you having to buy a roof rack foot kit (and it looks good!).

ratherbeintobago

I went for the WingBar roof rack as it saves you having to buy a roof rack foot kit (and it looks good!).

Does that not depend on the car?

velomanic
    Free Member

Does that not depend on the car?

Yes it does, sorry! If your vehicle has pre-installed roof bars, the WingBar will go straight on to them.

geoffj

Yes it does, sorry! If your vehicle has pre-installed roof bars rails, the WingBar will go straight on to them.

You still need a foot pack – or perhaps more accurately, a clamp pack.

smashit
    Free Member

I’ve got two FreeRide 532s. I use one at least 3 days a week (bike on car to nursery, then to work by bike).

I’ve previously had 591s on a work vehicle and the 591s are definitely nicer but the 532s do the job fine!

velomanic
    Free Member

You still need a foot pack – or perhaps more accurately, a clamp pack.

I didn’t need a foot pack or clamp pack.

The WingBar has the clamps built in to either end and it mounts directly on to the vehicle roof rail…

geoffj

The WingBar Edge has the clamps built in to either end and it mounts directly on to the vehicle roof rail…

FTFY

Thule Wingbar needs a foot or clamp pack

WingBar Edge (with fixing)

Wingbar (no clamp or foot pack included)

velomanic
    Free Member

Fair enough, I stand corrected!

ratherbeintobago

What car have you got and how many racks can you get across the Wingbar Edge?

velomanic
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 Jeep Cherokee and have two 598 racks both facing forwards. I could probably squeeze one more on in the middle facing backwards but it would be really tight.

geoffj

I can get 4 598s on wing bars (not Edge) on a 3 series touring.
    All facing forward with fatbikes on.
    I discounted the edges because of the reduced load width.

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve a Ford Galaxy with wing bars & use 2 591 racks (can take 2 racks & a med roof box or 4 racks), only issue being the Fatbike wheels can’t clip in so I use bungies. The new 598 can take fatbike wheels properly but the mount can’t be retrofitted to the earlier model (I e-mailed Thule to check)

Saccades
    Free Member

New car and the adaptor won’t go on the 750 footpack so had to pick up the adaptor and 753, Some scrote stole the fittings from the 753 footpack.

:picard:

Halford btw had excellent customer service, phoning me to check I had left the bars out deliberately and phoning me back again once he’d picked the order and checked the ripped box.

Stephen in carrickmines, cheers.

ratherbeintobago

Quick and probably daft question – is the T-track on wing bars the same as on the old aero bars?

geoffj

Quick and probably daft question – is the T-track on wing bars the same as on the old aero bars?

Yes

iainc

Saw a car the other day with wingbars on facing the wrong way !

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Thule roof Bike Racks.’ is closed to new replies.