Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Those vintage style Edison filament light bulbs…
  • Duane…
    Free Member

How bright are they? Is a 60W one comparable to a “modern” 60W bulb? (I’m aware that the vintage style is modern too..)

Would a 60w be overkill for a desk lamp?

Ta,
    Duane.

olliemonck
    Free Member

Slap a 6w led lamp in there it’ll cost you £6 a year to run instead of.£60 and you’ll get just as much light

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Do you mean a swan filament bulb? Edison didn’t invent the light bulb. He was a IP thief, circus showman and charlatan.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It would be bad for a desk lamp for two reasons, more IR output and also you don’t want to see a desk lamp’s filament, or you’ll be dazzled.

I smashed up the lamp holder in my ancient anglepoise and actually wedged a GU10 led in and soldered the connection on.

Job Jobbed.

stuey
    Free Member

Here here – ss9-2 (he stole over a thousand pattents- his ‘scientific’ contributions were the electric chair and ‘ghost busters’ )

Del

I smashed up the lamp holder in my ancient anglepoise and actually wedged a GU10 led in and soldered the connection on

i suppose that’s one way of doing it. 😯

jairaj

They are not as bright as normal incandescent bulbs as they are less efficient. The light is also very warm in colour, not sure if that is something you want? Up close as a desk lamp it should produce enough light but I think that’s missing the point of it. They are supposed to be a style over substance thing not really meant for practical use such as a desk lamp.

I have a 40W vintage style bulb in my lounge. Its just bright enough to add some gentle lighting to the room not really bright enough for reading. I use some other supplemental lighting around the room depending on needs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Those vintage style Edison filament light bulbs…’ is closed to new replies.