Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Those things that stop your drop outs getting crushed when the bike's on a plane
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Why are they so expensive?

I always thought BBB kit was pretty cheap stuff. However, I can buy Deore hubs for less than they're charging. Anyone else have any cunning alternatives or can think of any reason why the bbb axle spacers are better than hubs?

scaredypants

I've taped a stick in there before now 😳

jedi

they come on every bike in a box. lbs will just give you some , well mine would

somegeezer
    Free Member

They look weak, I always use an old axle, then when they pile loads of suitcases on top of my bike at least it stands a chance.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That's what I was thinking. Either that or some threaded bar and a few nuts and washers.

samuri
    Free Member

I just keep the ones I get when bikes are sent to me from shops but if I didn't have any I'd just cut some wood to fit and tape it in.

singlespeedstu

somegeezer – Member

They look weak

But somehow strong enough for the bike to make it in one piece to you in the first place. 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

a kid goat is cheaper and far more effective, waiting for the bike to clear quarantine is something of a minor inconvenience though.

Speeder

Just go to your LBS and ask if they've got an old threaded axle with the end nuts on it – they'll probably be glad to get rid of one – adjust to suit your frame, push your qr through and tighten. Drop-out spreader done.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I cut a bit of wood to the right size and tape it in! I'm going to upgrade this year though and drill a hole through it and put a qr through it!

steviep
    Free Member

I use a piece of metal tube cut to size with a QR through it.

5lab

i cut a bit of copper pipe I had kicking around, then held it in place using a qr I had

If you don't have any copper pipe, I'm sure your local plumbing merchant probably has 135mm they don't want anything for – when its that short its pretty useless

igm

Bit of threaded bar and some nuts from B&Q?

Or tube and a QR?

If you have old QR ends from a Maxle conversion that would be a nice upgrade.

And if you have a Maxle you will just be leaving it in I assume.

jonb
    Free Member

Loads of good suggestions here that are cheap but superstar components sell them cheap enough.

Otherwise look for the cheapest hubs you can get on ebay.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on the SSC ones. I didn't know about those.

theflatboy
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com – Member

I cut a bit of wood to the right size and tape it in! I'm going to upgrade this year though and drill a hole through it and put a qr through it!

reckon i'd struggle to drill a 135mm hole through a piece of wood without a pretty serious drill press!

singlespeedstu

reckon i'd struggle to drill a 135mm hole through a piece of wood

Just ask a local boyscout to wittle it out for you…

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Use a bit of bathroom waste pipe cut to length – strong in compression and you don't need a boy scout.

doug_basqueMTB.com

theflatboy, i hadn't really thought of it being a problem! I've got to admit to a lack of wood drilling experience though. I guess though that it doesn't have to be one bit of wood, it's just to stop compression isn't it. So I can drill ten 13.5mm bits of wood and stick them together on a QR.

I have been tucking into a bit of wine this evening so that might not make as much sense in the mornign.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

rolled up bog roll/kitchen roll cut to size – honest, just try and squash it! Used plenty of times, no probs.

theflatboy
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com – Member

I guess though that it doesn't have to be one bit of wood, it's just to stop compression isn't it. So I can drill ten 13.5mm bits of wood and stick them together on a QR.

I have been tucking into a bit of wine this evening so that might not make as much sense in the mornign.

if that's the sort of simple genius you come up with pissed you must be a legend sober! good call 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have to say, 10 x 13.5mm pieces is very cunning. A little labour intensive but very cunning.

doug_basqueMTB.com

😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Those things that stop your drop outs getting crushed when the bike's on a plane’ is closed to new replies.