• This topic has 38 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ekul.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Those nasty police camera fascist things…
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

if said nasty policeman was to be a bit obscured by a bus stop and there wasn’t any of those camera signs up on the lampposts etc is he breaking the rules for speed trapping?

bearnecessities

Not as much as you would be for speeding.

Aaaaand we’re off! 😀

MoreCashThanDash

If it’s a mobile or handheld camera, tough shit.

If you can’t do the time…..

thepurist

What if he’d been a child’s face?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m one of stw’s driving gods so I know when to make the roads come alive and it isn’t in a 30 zone past a school. Just wondered on the legality of his sneakyness.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I only drive past them at speeds that would make your eyes bleed.

(Hi, TJ! 😉 )

MoreCashThanDash

You are Mr Loophole, I claim my £5 and I can’t believe you are posting this other than as a Friday night wind up.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It should get a few “responses” more cash. You probably know the school, the one on street lane up from Denby. He’s been there twice in the last week in different spots. He does look a smug bastard though, with his tripod and his police motorbike by his side.

molgrips
    Free Member

And what’s wrong with fining people who break the law?

I think all speed cameras should be completely camouflaged.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I always thought they had to be in clear plain sight??

I’m no driving guru mind, more the standard of driving you’d expect from your Grandad.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Just got an Audi.
    Just got my first 3 points (in over 30 yrs).
    Bastid police that have nothing better to do. Don’t they realise there are real criminals out there?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If hes been there twice it obviously means a) there is an issue with speeding up there and b) you’ve not been observant enough. Or you’d have seen him this time. What with knowing he’s been there before and everything.

timidwheeler

I always thought they had to be in clear plain sight??

No. Only the fixed ones.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, cool thanks for that.

johnners
    Free Member

Just got my first 3 points (in over 30 yrs).
    Bastid police that have nothing better to do. Don’t they realise there are real criminals out there?

Congratulations on getting away with it for 30 years but all good things must come to an end.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If hes been there twice it obviously means a) there is an issue with speeding up there and b) you’ve not been observant enough. Or you’d have seen him this time. What with knowing he’s been there before and everything.

Firstly being observant in this situation wouldn’t have helped as the first thing I saw was the red laser beam in my vision, and at that I’m a hooligan van driver sat above most others, secondly I’m an STW driving God and only speed when overtaking molgrips to make progress so I reckon I was pushing a good 25 mph tops.
    The reason I ask is there are the speed camera signs either side of the village a good way off but none where he was being “sneakyfascistcop”

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP handheld camera no they don’t need to have a sign (that’s my understanding), if it’s a static van with camera out the back then yes a sign is needed.

As above yes they can hide as sneakily as they wish. We used to see them setup a tripod camera locally and the officers would stand back so they could not ben seen till you where virtually level. Then another motorbike plod up the road to stop / chase as required.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Then I genuinely don’t see the difference and the need for the stupid signs. In reality they’re both doing the same job, his tripod looked mighty impressive, it wasn’t some tinpot hand held thing. Must have some fine panniers on his chips mobile.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Congratulations on getting away with it for 30 years but all good things must come to an end.

Getting away with what? Are you making an assumption, based on what?
    A 30 year clean licence would/should indicate to a normal person that I’m a careful. law abiding driver, no?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve had one 3 pointer in 20 years, that was for winding my old Eccy van up downhill before the big uphill. That bastard was proper hiding in a bush that day. Way before my driving God status mind.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ always at limit downhill and boot it uphill, just sayin’ 8)

monkeychild
    Free Member

I think all speed cameras should be completely camouflaged.

With you on that one 🙂 Need more of them in 30 zones IMHO.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So what speed were you doing, and what was the zone if not 30 ?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Info

Page 4 if the link works.

Depending upon the enforcement method used, speed camera housings (including tripod-mounted cameras) or the camera operator or the mobile enforcement vehicle should be clearly visible from the driver’s viewpoint at the following minimum visibility distances:
    • 60 metres where the speed limit is 40 mph or less;
    • 100 metres at all other speed limits.
    On every occasion before commencing enforcement at a camera site, the enforcement
    officer should check that the visibility guidance is met.11

Northwind

The offence isn’t “speeding while being watched by the police”, it’s just speeding.

Speeding seems to be more or less the only law where we get offended by a lack of sportsmanship 😆 Can you imagine, “It’s not fair, you caught me shoplifting without putting up a sign!”

Cougar

What DT said.

What was the limit and what did your speedo say?

IanMunro
    Free Member

A 30 year clean licence would/should indicate to a normal person that I’m a careful. law abiding driver, no?

Just as 30 years of not being convicted of murder should indicate to a normal person that Harold Shipman was a careful, law abiding doctor 😀

mattyfez

Perfectly fair and legal, sorry but if you are that concerned then drive under the limit.
    I’ve had speeding points in the past but I can’t complain.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It was a 30 and I was doing maybe 25 indicated. I try and that’s said genuinely to stick rigorously to 30/40 mph limits. I do find some of the 50s on countryish roads ridiculous when you can still bez along at 60 “over the tops”

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Just as 30 years of not being convicted of murder should indicate to a normal person that Harold Shipman was a careful, law abiding doctor

That’s how the law works. Innocent until proven guilty and he was proven to have committed previous crimes. johnners can’t prove I’m guilty of previous crimes which I believe is covered by either the crime of slander or libel, depending on how it makes it into the public domain, which stops people making spurious claims. 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

So, so it seems plod must be in clear sight then..

johnners
    Free Member

Crikey, it was just a flippant remark on my part and I’m sorry you feel aggrieved about it.

It seems likely from your account of your driving record that you’re a careful and largely law abiding driver. I also think it’s very improbable you got your first 3 points on the very first occasion you ever committed a traffic offence but if that’s what you’re saying it’s fine with me.

I’m happy to go on record that I have no personal knowledge of you murdering anyone though.

user-removed
    Free Member

if it’s a static van with camera out the back then yes a sign is needed.

Really? Those vans are rife round here and I’ve never once seen a warning sign.

wrightyson
    Free Member

And that 60m business was seriously spurious today. You crested the brow and he was literally there shooting his pointy stupid laser at you. Could’ve blinded me in the wrong hands. 8)

MoreCashThanDash

They do cane it along Street Lane, ride out that way to pick up the A6 and it can be interesting.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I can say that when you call the safety camera partnership to tell them they they are not adhering to their own regulations, they get a bit shirty and defensive. The mobile ones aren’t supposed to use central reservations or be in the middle of the road either. The one I called about was in the central reservation under a motorway bridge, bright sunny day you could not see him until you were under the bridge.
    My reasoning is not that it’s unfair. It is that they are supposed to be a deterrent, which they aren’t for f they are invisible.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Amazing how often they’re placed to catch cars leaving slower zones or cresting a hill.

timba
    Free Member

The Parliament link above relates to speed cameras. Tripod or hand-held laser / radar equipment isn’t necessarily a camera, just a digital readout
    The motorcyclist sounds like a local response to a local complaint, although the results could develop into a more permanent road safety partnership site

ekul
    Free Member

The police officer that got me was hidden behind a 4 foot wall and had his car behind the back of said wall.. Obviously had I been a stw driving god my powers of observation would have enabled me to see him. Alas, this most greatest honour has yet to be earnt by myself.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Those nasty police camera fascist things…’ is closed to new replies.