Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • thor internals upgrade?
  • johnduke
    Free Member

I think I remember reading that it would be possible to upgrade the internals on older Magura Thors to 2010 spec which is supposed to deal with damping problems some riders experience. Has anyone had this done? anyone have experience with both versions, if so is there significant difference? thanks.

nickc

What's the damping problem?

johnduke
    Free Member

just that they're quite linear and can blow through their travel quite easily. I've got a set up I'm fairly happy with but do find I have to sacrifice small bump performance once it's up to a pressure that works well. Just wondering how the new internals compare and if people think it's worth upgrading?

nickc

but do find I have to sacrifice small bump performance

Ahhh right, I thought it might have been something important.

johnduke
    Free Member

no, it's not that important but surely it's possible to have a set up that will react to small bumps but wont bottom out as soon as you hit anything bigger? I should have added that even with lots of pressure and rebound, once you've used the travel on a descent the fork stays down until almost completely unweighted. Anyway what I'm really after is any opinions on the newer design (as magura decided to redesign them for 2010 I'm happy in my assertion the older ones, though good forks, aren't perfect). anyone used both, or had an upgrade done?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Speak to Magura UK they have been massively helpful to me in the past.

You can change for the latest spec oil in the damping unit ( it's different and works better at low temps apparently) and they respond well to 5mm of 30wt oil in the air side to ramp things up at the end of the stroke by reducing the volume of the air can.

I run mine with very little rebound and on the high side of the recommended pressure and I find them excellent they don't pack down at all and track very well. I find they really are pressure sensitive and 5 psi makes a big difference. I'm not too bothered about small bump stuff that's what 2.4 tyres are for!!

Mine are the 120 Marathons so the Thors may be different but I expect not.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Probably best to try Magura UK, but you could try posting the query here

Crell
    Free Member

…best buy a 2010 thor if you want the new AS+ damper. It won't be cheap as an upgrade! The new oil is the same wt – just "better" at lower temps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘thor internals upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.