Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • This isn't a public bridleway!
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Doing a run that Toons showed me, I met an older lady and dog just as I finished climbing up a steep muddy climg.

I smiled and waited for her to pass, being the polite considerate man that I am.

"This isn't a public bridle way" she proclaimed.
    "I'm sure it is" I said, "I've checked the OS maps"
    "No I'm sure it's not" she replied.
    "Yes you must be right" I responded "And that sign there must have been put up as a practical joke" and pointed to the arrows on the gate clearly stating Public Bridleway.
    "Now you know, you can ride your bike up and down here as well" I said with a cheeky smile.
    "No. I don't think I will be doing that" she said and wandered off.
    "Have a good day" I said cheerily as she was going.
    "Hmmmph" was all I heard.

Bet I see her tomorrow all clad in lycra climbing the hill.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i once got called a **** for being on a bridleway produced map showing it was abridleway to which the lady replied well you are still a ****. I have never bothered discussing access with a walker since like trying to reason with angry drivers just pointless.

wow the swear filter appears for anagrams of the C word sorry mods

scaredypants

you killed her really, didn't you 🙁

Xylene
    Free Member

you killed her really, didn't you

no. And I've always had that 12 year old black lab in the garden.

I have never bothered discussing access with a walker

I didn't really have that much of a choice, I was stuffed from the climb, and for the best part in a fairly jovial mood.

Vortexracing

well you are still a ****.

she obviously knew you 😆

Its always old people isn't it.

I've even had one telling me off on a byway 😈

Macavity
    Free Member

It is estimated that approximately 450 million people worldwide have a mental health problem.

– World Health Organisation (2001)

Quirrel, you just met one, another 449999999 to go.

Xylene
    Free Member

She didn't seem mental. Quite pleasant really, her dog was really nice.

On that note.

When I went through the gates, it goes through somebodies private land, but it's right of way. I have to push a button to open the gate to get out.

On doing so, the peoples dogs got all excited and came chasing out barking at me. One was quite large.

Should their dog be kept under control because a public right of way passes through their land or not?

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Should their dog be kept under control because a public right of way passes through their land or not?

No. Their land, they should have the right to let their dog do what it likes. Maybe a sign would be a nice thought though, 'Big Dog, MTFU or bugger off'

Xylene
    Free Member

No. Their land, they should have the right to let their dog do what it likes. Maybe a sign would be a nice thought though, 'Big Dog, MTFU or bugger off'

Thought as much.

Didn't seem like it wanted to eat me, just big dog barks and a little dog barking. Looked like a ridgeback to me and have had some off putting experiences with them.

scaredypants

Thought as much.

Surely bollocks: public RoW – dog should be under control.

Drac

Being queried about ROW in the NE is a rare experience treasure the moment.

Junkyard
    Free Member

LOL at Vortex you may have a point

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not at this moment in a position to look in the big book, but I would of thought that a public right of way over private land would be considered a public place in the eyes of the law, so requiring the dog to be under control. (Just like Tesco's car park is private land, but a public place).

Xylene
    Free Member

If the dog is running around barking at people on an area that dogs are walked, what happens then if it fights with a dog on a lead, using the right of way.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Sorry, rant….

Why is walking the holier than thou activity? I hike sometimes(if the bikes are broken or not at hand) and don't give a toss if someone wants to do it(walk)on a bike. Good on em!

I suspect it's cos they are either too old/lazy to ride a bike or they can't afford a nice stead so make our lives a misery out of jealousy. They are usually the type that are so fooking boring it hurts! I'm sure it's some of those ****'s that try to run us over when we have to use the road. I'm thinking of getting some gladiator spikes for my handlebars so if they get too close, they can paint their car again.

Out of interest, has anyone ever had a successful response from using a bell on a bike(not that I have one, honest). Tried it once on a hire bike and the people freaked out, flapped around and got more in the way than they were before. I find using ones voice is an adequate tool for the job "oh, walker, shift it!". Winner 😉

rant over 🙂

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I suspect that there is no specific requirements relating to what the Land owner can do on his land, but that the access rights create a duty of care. He would be responsible for any injuries caused by the dog, whether being scared etc would come under that I don't know, but I suspect it may well do.

It's a question that I asked myself when in the Peaks on Tuesday evening upon being confronted by a pretty big bull on the Bridleway!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Out of interest, has anyone ever had a successful response from using a bell on a bike(not that I have one, honest). Tried it once on a hire bike and the people freaked out, flapped around and got more in the way than they were before.

Most walkers in Malvern seem to appreciate a bell warning. 🙂

giddyrob
    Free Member

Most walkers in Malvern seem to appreciate a bell warning.

must mean it's time for cucumber sandwiches and a flask of tepid tea 😉

Do they sit down and start rummaging in their bags when you ding? 😉

Sorry, couldn't resist 🙂

IdleJon

However, if an animal injures someone or causes damage on CRoW access land, you may be liable if:

the animal should have been restrained as it was likely to cause injury or damage
    the injury or damage caused was or could have been severe
    the animal's characteristics are abnormal in that species, except at particular times or in particular circumstances
    you or the person keeping the animals knew that the animal posed a risk

FRom a random link, just googled quickly – http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1083594570&type=RESOURCES

It stops people from blocking RoW by, for instance, putting a dangerous bull in a field.

crazy-legs

Out in the Peaks a while ago riding a bridleway and some woman asked "do you really think you should be riding here?"
    I said that yes, it was a bridleway so I was allowed to ride here. She looked a bit confused then said "no, I meant isn't it very dangerous, trying to ride a bike over all these rocks?"

Shame really, I was just looking forward to a discussion about rights of way in the Peaks and she was just concerned for my safety…

Mendipman
    Free Member

It's a question that I asked myself when in the Peaks on Tuesday evening upon being confronted by a pretty big bull on the Bridleway!

Beef bulls are fine it is only dairy bulls that are banned from ROW's.There should have been a warning sign on entry to the field though.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have nothing against old people but there does seem to be a swarm of them up in Galloway recently who feel that the lines in the middle of the narrower roads are to show you where you place the middle of the car……. 😕

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

There wasn't a sign, but then I don't know if it was beef or dairy. How do you milk a bull by the way? Don't answer that.

I guess as I'm sat here typing it was a safe bull.

speaker2animals

Are you sure it's only walkers that are holier than thou? Have you read some of the posts on here or any other website? It's just people. To paraphrase Marvin the Paranoid Android "people, loathe them or ignore them, you can't like them".

As for the bell issue. A member of the old guysers roadies I ride with told me the following (most of them ride with a bell except on their best summer days bikes). He was on a tow path and rang his bell as he approached some pedestrians from behind. The woman almost jumped out of her skin and rollicked him for scaring her and asked why he couldn't politely excuse himself. Within a short space of time he came upon another group and so "shouted" to be excused as he passed. Of course what does he get? "why don't you get a bloody bell".

You can never win.

nbt

mtb_rob – Member

While they can let their dogs run free, your point is almost entirely wrong – landowners must not erect signs which discourage usage, e.g. warning signs like "bull in field"

epicyclo

You need to get a fatbike, then you can point out that foot traffic is causing more damage then your bike 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Shame really, I was just looking forward to a discussion about rights of way in the Peaks and she was just concerned for my safety…

On the contrary, she was merely trying to distract you so as you'd face-plant entertainingly in front of her. She's a legendary local figure, some say she's the ghost of a Victorian milk maid who was decapitated by a run-away Penny Farthing, but I'm not convinced there was a dairy industry in the Peak back then.

igm

Of course, while the English view a bicycle as an iron horse, the Scots precedent if I recall was that the right thinking judge way back when defined a bicycle as an aid to pedestrianism – therefore almost anywhere you could legally walk in Scotland you cycle (a notable exception was pavements).

Someone who knows what they are talking about will be along to correct me I'm sure.

Bunnyhop

Lol @ BWD

I've often been asked why am I riding 'such and such' and it turns out the poor dears are only concerned that a helpless, older, female mtber such as myself, could possibly manage to ride a bike down a slightly twisty, rocky trail, that I would grade an easy red. were it a trail centre.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘This isn't a public bridleway!’ is closed to new replies.