Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • This daily asparin thing..is it going to back fire in five years time???
  • rockhopper70

Watching Dr Hilary the other morning. He suggested that a small dose of asparin on a daily basis, for men over 40, could cut chances of bowel cancer significantly and keep the blood nice and thin thereby reducing heart problems. (Disclaimer…this was on daybreak, early doors, while I was eating my cheerios so some facts may be incorrect and the writer bears no liability for anyone starting to take asparin).
    Is this one of those magic panacea that will be found in a few years to actually be armfull. For the sake of a few pence a week, the temptation to start taking this undeniable but I wonder if anyone else saw this feature or does take it and on what grounds/advice.
    Cheers

yunki
    Free Member

my other halfs gran is 90 something and has taken a couple of aspirin with her 11am whisky for at least 25 years..

she doesn’t take them with her 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9pm wisky though..

aP
    Free Member

5 years ago a small daily aspirin dose was thought to lower chances of a heart attack. A friend was very convinced about this.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

imho no more harmful than a glass of wine !!

uplink
    Free Member

This daily asparin thing..is it going to back fire in five years time

dunno, but it’s been recommended for about 15 years already

mamadirt
    Free Member

I’ve been taking them for several years now. Advised as I suffer from migraine – can’t rally say if they’ve helped or not – migraines are lessening (unless I’ve partaken of the falling down water) but that may just my age 🙄 . Definitely thins the blood though – I often look like an extra from a horror movie when emerging from the local brambly singletrack 😕 .

RockyRobin
    Free Member

gastric ulceration- handle with care- aspirin is a potent drug!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

All things like this, best with some medical supervision, what might seem like a very good idea may also cause other problems.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Ginko is a natural blood thinner I would rather take one of those a day. You have got to go of something! Where is this research from? Maybe from a drug company who make lots of asparins! Unless you have a history in the family from cancer or heart disease then I don’t see the point. Asparin is not supposed to be in the body so I would not fancy it being in my system every day without any real evidence to it actually doing anything more than snake oil would!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aspirin is generic. 75 mg ( junior) aspirin a day is often prescribed especially for those at risk of cardiac problems. It has been found that people taking it have lower bowel cancer risk

Get medical supervision tho as it can cause other issues such as bleeding and gut issues

Aspirin is at least as “natural” as ginko – it is the extract of willow bark

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Ginko is a natural blood thinner I would rather take one of those a day. You have got to go of something! Where is this research from? Maybe from a drug company who make lots of asparins! Unless you have a history in the family from cancer or heart disease then I don’t see the point. Asparin is not supposed to be in the body so I would not fancy it being in my system every day without any real evidence to it actually doing anything more than snake oil would!

I very much doubt any drug companies are making huge profits from the sale of aspirin you can buy a pack for 0.50p or something.

Also its surely in the public domain so anyone can make it.

nonk
    Free Member

depends who you are.
    i wouldnt as my guts are not the strongest.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Current evidence on Aspirin suggests only those who have already had a heart attack or stroke already should take it on a daily basis to “thin the blood”. This is a complete about turn from a few years ago when aspirin was prescribed widely.

You should not take it “just in case” to prevent heart disease etc. The Risks outweigh the benefits. Also if you are throwing yourself down mountains on a regular basis when you inevitably come off you will bleed more.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I very much doubt any drug companies are making huge profits from the sale of aspirin you can buy a pack for 0.50p or something.

Two packs of aspirin for a single pence! Bargain!

i heard/read somewhere that previously it was recommended for people older than 50 or maybe it was 60. I think the point was that although aspirin isnt very good for you, people in that age range (a big generalisation) are at high risk of stroke, so even though it increases the chance or heart disease they are still more likely to be killed by a stroke. Certainly not for the young or the fit in my opinion, i dont think Lance Armstrong will be taking aspirin anytime soon!

headfirst
    Free Member

Now this is a long time ago, 20+ years, but my gran died of a brain haemorrage in her 60s and the fact that she had taken painkillers (prob. aspirin?) on a near daily basis was given as a contributing factor to her death.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘This daily asparin thing..is it going to back fire in five years time???’ is closed to new replies.