Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • thinking of going back to my narrow bars, sore wrists content
  • spchantler
    Free Member

have been riding wide bars, 750mm i think, for some time, but i’m going to put my old bars back on because my wrists have started to get sore on longer rides. riding position on wide bars i like while playing in the woods, going down etc, but it feels unnatural to be honest. what i think i want are some bar ends or some bars with a nice back sweep, any thoughts?

FOG

Glad to see someone is bucking fashion. I can’t get on with anything over 680mm and use Easton 70s which are a reasonable weight and come in various heights. My son is a fanatical proponent of narrow bars and even sawed down the Eastons he bought at the same time as mine! He claims his narrow shoulders suit narrow better than wide. He’s cerainly fast enough so maybe he is right.

wwaswas

riding position on wide bars i like while playing in the woods

the number of trees near me sporting gouges at ‘bar height has increased a lot over the last year or so.

You could look at getting some more back sweep but I’d start by moving grips ina bit on your existign bars and see if the sore wrists go away.

mboy
    Free Member

Saw someone with a 1994 Marin Eldridge Grade yesterday, in original condition, exactly the same as the one I had from new back in the day…

Anyway… 560mm wide bars with bar ends on were no good back then, and are not really much cop now either! Still looked retro cool though.

Anyway… Bontrager do a flat bar, 640mm wide, comes std issue on a number of Trek bikes. It’s called the “Big Sweep”. It as its name suggests, has quite a lot of sweep, about 15 degrees iirc. The RaceLite version is bloody light too, about 170g. Search eBay or speak to your local Trek dealer. I tried some briefly, but 640 was just way too narrow! Moved back to 710 on my hardtail and up to 760 on my full sus and it feels soooo much better all of the time to me!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘thinking of going back to my narrow bars, sore wrists content’ is closed to new replies.