Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Thinking of a new build – what would you change….?
  • Plus obviously tyres, grips etc

chambord
    Free Member

Nothing. That will be lovely

mrhoppy

Single N/W ring up front, zee rear mech, flow ex on pro 2 evos and I’d have the frame in a brighter colour.

BillOddie

Might change the bar/stem to and add a Chromag Saddle.

Would be tempted to go for a Chromag frame too…

I prefer normal wheels with J bend spokes but that’s just me. Either Hope/Flow or CK/Flow.

Headset? King?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Bars – they look old and tatty quick. Well, mine did.

Other than that not much, should look ok.

😉

stevied
    Free Member

I’d swap the reverb for a Lev and, as above, if going 1×10 I’d have a Zee FR rear mech..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Probably the wheels, they look like havens and the number with shot freebies freehubs and no availability of (expensive) spares would put me off, there is a reason the rear is so light, the wheels are robust and well built but the hubs are cheese.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

That will be really nice.

Personally I would go for standard j-bend spoked wheels. Flashy proprietary wheels look nice but are more hassle with spares etc.

And I’d go 1×10. I have an aversion to front mechs.

Should have put a pic of an M785 double up, as it would be 2 x 10 – not ready for single ring – there would be a chain guide too.

I like the bright Shans, but think this colour scheme would look mint.

Thought the wheels might be the first point.

Bars/stem, not set in stone – headset comes with the bike, a PP branded one.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

mrhoppy +1

wwaswas

The wheels – I’ve not heard/read good thinsg about Easton wheels.

edhornby

all looks good to me – a bit of colour somewhere ?

kimbers

wheels, some LB carbons?

AlexSimon

The only thing I’d definitely change are the wheels.
    I just like nice simple j-spoke hand-built wheels.

Northwind

The Easton stems are pretty ordinary tbh, nice for matching sets but that’s all.

After owning a few “wheel systems” I’ll never touch one again I think, get proper wheels with proper rims, proper spokes and proper hubs, don’t tie yourself to one product and trust them to do everything well for you because there’s never been one that does.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ditch the boingy things on the front, ditch the gear’idge, longer stem, find a river to chuck the reverb in. In essance make it SS and light.

Other than that it looks kinda neat all that lot.

Post pics when done, ta.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Hope Tech E4 brakes instead of XT (I hate the feel, although others don’t), Hope hoops with flow EX rims instead of the Eastons and swap the Haven bars for Havocs for the extra length.

I’d also go for the frame in Gulf Racing colours, it looks a bit garish in photo’s but I’ve seen one in the flesh and it looks lovely !

Pics when done please !

sssimon
    Free Member

Thomson bar and stem and a set of crossmax st

Ditch the boingy things on the front, ditch the gear’idge, longer stem, find a river to chuck the reverb in. In essance make it SS and light.

One of the worst suggestions for a Shan I’ve ever seen, but thanks 😉

Northwind – I’ve got a mag/black 35mm Haven on my Enduro and it’s lovely.

Davewalsh – I also love Hope brakes. Got Tech M4’s on my Enduro, but looking at a group set to keep costs down.

Cost was a consideration with the wheels too, but I think I’ll forego that considering the responses above.

chiefgrooveguru

Hope Tech E4 brakes instead of XT (I hate the feel, although others don’t), Hope hoops with flow EX rims instead of the Eastons and swap the Haven bars for Havocs for the extra length.
    I’d also go for the frame in Gulf Racing colours, it looks a bit garish in photo’s but I’ve seen one in the flesh and it looks lovely !
    Pics when done please !

My thoughts exactly! And single ring.

matther01
    Free Member

+1 Stevied and add a ks southpaw

Mortop stem maybe or syntace (depending on funds and angle required)

New hope rims or light bicycle carbon

New ks carbon bars look pretty good and wide in stealth black too

nickdavies

I wouldn’t be able to get past the fact i’d bought the wrong colour.
    Pick up the phone and plead them to bring back the gulf spray job!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

+1 for Hope hubs & Flows.

Looks very tidy though.

EDIT: I’ve had Hope and XT brakes and although I like the serviceability of Hopes, I couldn’t really fault the XTs – great power and feel, so not a bad choice at all to keep costs down by going full groupset.

bikebouy
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    One of the worst suggestions for a Shan I’ve ever seen, but thanks

I know, I’m a git, I understand 😆

Apart from that, it does look kinda neat 😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

What you have specced there looks great. I would stick with xy brakes.

I have easton havens and like them a lot. They are much lighter than the hope/flow set I had but ding much less easily and they have stayed true for longer which I think is down to the far superior build quality.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

How much would that build cost if bought new?

Around £2200 with finishing kit I reckon

plus-one

Nope all sweet carry on 8)

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

As the owner of a set of Eason haven wheels…
    I would change the wheels, probably for lb carbon rims, depending on budget on hope/dt/ck hubs

The haven bar isn’t wide enough, I’d go havoc
    The haven stem is too long, havoc again, just to match

If part of the group set I’d be happy ish with xt brakes, but would go hope if budget allowed

With a few suggestions for LB Carbons – what are the Novatec hubs like in the pre-builts?

Stupid me, knew the Haven bars weren’t wide enough – looked at them before 😳
    The Haven stem would be a 35mm and magnesium with black faceplate, just like the one I already own

robgclarkson
    Free Member

X01 drive train, apart from that; perfect 🙂

ash.addy
    Free Member

Just my penny’s worth I use chris king hubs love mine and easy to look after. Just oozes quality.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of a new build – what would you change….?’ is closed to new replies.