Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • These RAF pilots that have ditched in the Moray Firth
  • IHN

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18700794

Obviously, it’s a worrying time for all involved and the outcome is probably not going to be good.

However, why is it so tricky to find them? I thought that they had locator beacons on their flight suits?

binners

I think its something to do with the size of the sea

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbd3E6tK2U[/video]

😉

jota180
    Free Member

However, why is it so tricky to find them? I thought that they had locator beacons on their flight suits?

awful thought but they may not be on the surface

IHN

Yes, thank you Father Jack.

I know it’s a big area, but I though the point of the beacons is that they allow a rescue party to be diretcted to the right place. I assume they’re not looking for a chap in a flying jacket waving his arms.

crankboy
    Free Member

The details are unclear but reading that report Two supersonic objects collided at speed. I hope I am wrong but i dont think they are now looking for functioning intact beacons or survivors.

IHN

They weren’t supersonic when they collided. Well, I assume not as there are two survivors from the other plane.

awful thought but they may not be on the surface

Yeah, hadn’t thought of that 🙁

Macgyver

Speed differential doesn’t have to be great to have terrible consequences with aircraft. Father in law had to bang out years ago when he got clipped by his wingman. They were both fortunate to get away with it. Unfortunately it appears that the RAF guys may not have been so lucky.

spacemonkey

Given all the tech available, how can two jets possibly collide in this day and age?

ratherbeintobago

Given all the tech available, how can two jets possibly collide in this day and age?

I assume if they were out over the Moray Firth, they were practicing maritime strike profiles, ie. flying tactically and very low. By its nature tactical flying is dangerous, and things do go wrong. Anyone else remeber the two 849NAS Sea Kings that collided in good visibility in 2003?

Andy

therealhoops
    Free Member

I’m going to go ahead and assume they were loooow and fast. They touched. One plane went up, one plane went down. I’m hoping the two missing airmen didn’t know much about it.

davetrave
    Free Member

The PLBs (Personal Locator Beacons) only activate if the ejector seat leaves the airframe and comes in to contact with water, or if the crewman detaches from the seat after ejection, so the assumption has to be that they didn’t manage to bail out…

PS My missus is RAF and was the Duty Operations Controller at Lossiemouth when the accident happened, therefore “her” aircraft. Other than what’s in the news, that’s the only thing she’s told me cos I asked the same question about finding them…

peterfile
    Free Member

^ re the “assumption” part, has that been released to the press?

if not, you might want to edit it just in case someone googles the incident, spots this and your mrs gets into bother.

davetrave
    Free Member

The wording was deliberate – “the assumption has to be” rather than “the assumption is” thereby implying that it is my assumption and nobody else’s…

However, for absolute clarity, the assumption that they didn’t manage to bail out is mine.

Muke
    Free Member

News that one of the rescued pilots has died as well 🙁

enfht
    Free Member

Very sad news. Which squadron(s) were involved as three are based at Lossiemouth including my Grandad’s (XV)

Must be a very difficult time for all involved, hope your missus is OK dave.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@IHN – as noted above the beacons are highly unlikely to work under the surface. Standard EPIRBs/PLBs don’t for sure. It’s unfortunately fairly common to have an EPIRB/PLB activated and then the signal dissapear if/when the vessel or person sinks.

My thoughts are with the families of those lost and missing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘These RAF pilots that have ditched in the Moray Firth’ is closed to new replies.