Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The Tuesday morning shower-pump thread (Could we make this a regular fixture?)
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,
    Just looking for a bit of advice regarding pumps for my shower.
    Currently mains cold/gravity hot, the hot is a bit lackluster. The plan is to change it to gravity for both (to equalise the pressures) and then fit a pump.
    So, is it best to:
    a) Fit a double pump and pump both hot and cold to the mixer
    or
    b) Gravity feed both to the mixer and then fit a single pump to pump the mixed water to the head?
    Supplementary question – is it OK for the pump to share a power supply with the fan heater?
    Thanks 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

#stayonthefirstpage

Richie_B

As long as the header tank on the hotter system doesn’t double as the header/expansion tank for the primary circuit you could use the same tank to feed both feeds although it would need to be a bigger tank and you would need to check that the roof/ceiling structure is up to the increased loads.

I’ve seen systems which use a boost pump to increase the water pressure of the feed to the shower and use an electric shower, although I’m not sure how these cope with inadequacies in the supply to the house and you would need a dedicated circuit for an electric shower capable of keeping up with the flow rates your looking at (most if not all electric showers require a dedicated circuit).

Went through the options above when we moved into our house but through a combination of relying on a solid fuel stove for heating and hot water and lack of funds I eventually found an electric shower that would cope with the low water pressure

If you need to ask about the pump power supply you need professional advice.

johnners
    Free Member

If I were just trying to fix the “hot is a bit lacklustre” problem I’d probably fit a low voltage inline pump to the hot feed, either near the tank boosting hot to all taps or more likely before the mixer to boost just the shower. Much cheaper than a), minimal plumbing to do and there’d be no need to get the electrics signed off.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

We have gravity fed cold and hot. They’re not equalised and are both a bit shit. We fitted one of these, it’s reasonably quiet and it does the job*

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stuart-turner-techflo-tp-s-positive-head-shower-pump-1-5bar/2713d

*when I say it does the job, it’s fine when it works. We’re on the third pump in 3 years. The first shat itself inside 6 months and was replaced under warranty. The second sprung a leak at the pump seals on both the hot and cold end but for £100 is was easier to replace like for like than change to an alternative pump and potentially mess about with new fitting. If it goes again before we move, I’ll look for an alternative.

shifter
    Free Member

I have a Salamander ct50 that does a great job. It’s about six years old and has only this year needed a new capacitor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘The Tuesday morning shower-pump thread (Could we make this a regular fixture?)’ is closed to new replies.