Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • The Obesity Time Bomb – Tonight Programme.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What would you do to prevent an even bigger obesity time bomb going off? There was a rather large lady got on the bus I was on today, only to get off one stop and 75m later. Minimum bus journey lengths is what I’d introduce.

crikey
    Free Member

Tax elastic waisted trews. Work it off or wear a sack.

gusamc
    Free Member

easy, start an e-petition demanding more money for the NHS, I’m sure most people will manage to sum up the effort required to do that

alternatively change vat, bias it cheap on good stuff and raise it to 100% on crap

emma82
    Free Member

Obesity time bomb? Didn’t it explode about 10 years ago? Everyone is over weight these days. People are lazy, greedy and mis educated at every turn.

Edit: BAN FOOD! Wont someone think of the children 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

According to my GP I’m obese.

chewkw
    Free Member

It’s a time bomb so let it be … tick tock tick tock … nature’s ways of dealing with things.

Yes, me slightly overweight too … tick tock tick tock …

iDave
    Free Member

make escalators, moving walkways and lifts really REALLY slow

sobriety
    Free Member

Here in Notts I’d remove 50% of all city bus stops, there’s one every 200-400m, makes bus travel a right pain!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

sobriety – there is on stretch of road in Edinburgh that has three stops in the space of 90m.

rs
    Free Member

I’m sure the buses on that route stop three times within 90m too! Maybe there are a lot of services along there and its better to have them stopping at a few stops rather than one. At least she was using the busbrather than the car so presumably did some walking.

AlasdairMc

I’d remove disabled parking passes from the obese if that’s their only reason for having one. I’d also stop the same people from using the fire exit to get into my work because they can’t fit in the tube door.

I’d also get rid of mobility scooters for the obese, they’re just self defeating.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Food manufacturers. Sugar / salt / fat/ carb addictions that they encourage. thats one of the main drivers for this.

Its very noticeable that the countries with least restrictions either legal or from pressures in society on crap food get the fattest people

sturmey
    Free Member

How long do you think the problem of people getting bigger has been going on? Last Sunday we went the the Photography museum in Bradford while we were there we decided to select a program to watch in a booth the choice is endless and dates from about 1960 to present. We chose Newsround with John Craven from about 1974 so the kids could see how it used to be presented. There was a piece about schools offering healthy meals, salad ect as it had come to the educations notice that children were starting to look a bit porky. This seriously surprised me,it’s nothing new Jamie Oliver etal and it has been ticking for a long time.

br
    Free Member

A bloke opposite me on the train a couple of weeks ago took up 2 seats of a 3 seater, it was only when a ‘normal’ sized guy sat next to him that I really realised just how big he was…

donsimon
    Free Member

A bloke opposite me on the train a couple of weeks ago took up 2 seats of a 3 seater, it was only when a ‘normal’ sized guy sat next to him that I really realised just how big he was…

Make the armrests fixed so they can’t sit down. Being obese is not normal and shouldn’t be normalised.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m obese according to my BMI, when am I going to explode?

br
    Free Member

Make the armrests fixed so they can’t sit down.

Armrests! You don’t get 5 seats across a train by having armrests.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Tax people by their BMI.

donsimon
    Free Member

Of course you can, get rid of the half arsed designers while we’re at it then. 😈

Kevevs
    Free Member

close down Iceland.

ali69er
    Free Member

It’s a huge cultural thing. Its not helped by the fact that there is a McDs or KFC at every turn, but having recently moved abroad I really believe its not entirely down to the individual but the culture of the nation. We no longer value sporting excellence, its hushed away beginning at a young age with day of sport (no longer sports day) and we accept it. I used to be over 20stone, drank 60 pints a week and had takeaways probably 4 or 5 nights, washing it down with 2 litres of coke a day. I no longer do any of that. It was a change in my own culture that it was not acceptable rather than the fact that big business sell me fat.

Changing bus stops, taxing fatty foods won’t do it, we need to change the culture of the country.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just nipped into a local mini Tescos. Whilst I stood there all I could see where chocolate products, sweets, crisps, bread, biscuits, cakes, booze and fags. They have some food at the back. And I use the word food cautiously.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s cheap, they can make it, it’s tasty, looks good, smells good, people buy it. Sold at a profit. Just because you are educated and understand nutrition etc. most aren’t! people are dumb slaves to their taste-buds! kerr-ching. People need to be more educated about this stuff.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

People need to be more educated about this stuff.

They will still eat the same sh1t, just be slightly more aware of the consequences.

donsimon
    Free Member

They will still eat the same sh1t, just be slightly more aware of the consequences.

And that someone else will provide the solution, obesity the new smoking…

chewkw
    Free Member

People have the rights to be obese and die young/early.

The only person to be blamed is ourselves as the corporate monsters do not point a gun to force you to eat. 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Polite request – please don’t assume that every ‘large’ person eats McDonalds, chips, coke etc. Unfortunately the NHS are failing to properly medicate the increasing number of people with an underactive thyroid gland.

C_G
    (formerly slim, now increased 4 dress sizes)
    (never eat McD’s, chips or coke)

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

In 1973 obesity in both the USA and UK was running at 2% of the population. By 1998, when both governments stopped publishing stats it had risen to 25%. To summarise it took 50 million years to get to 2% but only 25 years to increase another 23%.

From that we can conclude that it is not the amount we eat which most likely hasn’t changed that much but is in fact the amount of processed crap we eat that is the problem.

Trampus
    Free Member

Evidently it is all down to evolutionary biology.

brooess
    Free Member

Simple. Change the choices people have available to them, or at least make the healthy choice the easy one, the unhealthy choice the difficult one.
    My diet overall is very good and I’m mainly very disciplined about my health – at 38 I’m almost the only one of my friends who does regular exercise and doesn’t have a a belly.
    But I have a serious sweet tooth and eat too much chocolate. So I don’t buy biscuits or chocolate when I go to the supermarket. When I’m at home, if I get a craving I have to sit it out.
    At work we have a vending machine full of crisps, chocolate and soft drinks. When I get a craving I grab a bar of chocolate. If the machine wasn’t there, like at home, I wouldn’t.

I take full responsibility for my chocolate indulgences but the choices presented to me make it much harder/easier to eat healthily and avoid the bad stuff…
    As mentioned above, supermarkets and shops have a MASSIVE role to play in this. Maybe we need restrictions on how unhealthy food is sold, like alcohol and fags…

globalti
    Free Member

There was a programme on last night with that Bruce bloke who goes and lives with all kinds of tribes and eats weird things. He was with some people who had to hack down a tree with a stone axe to get to the carbohydrate inside it and that was after foraging through the forest to find the tree. Their calorie expenditure just to obtain food was massive and they were fit, well muscled and lean.

Nowadays you can eat ten times as many calories as they did for absolutely no physical effort beyond pushing the button on the microwave. You can even get the shit delivered to your door.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

People have the rights to be obese and die young/early.

but not to expect everyone else to pick up the medical bills for keeping them alive.

tie national health entitlement to how much someone tries to look after themselves – only trouble is the assessment needed to do it.

There is a private health policy that rewards you for trying to keep fit and healthy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

cut glass between the seats then, like you see on the top of some walls – that wouldn’t take up much space.

jruk
    Free Member

I like the odd burger / KFC / snickers but exercise and eat well the rest of the time, why should I have to pay more tax because some lazy b@stard eats too much and is the size of a house? Education and personal responsibility should always come before tax rises.

robbo
    Free Member

Bring back ration books. Everyone is comparing this financial crisis to the post war years so as an austerity measure it could kill two birds with one stone…

br
    Free Member

The only problem with the ‘theory’ that all fat people are fat due to the crap they eat and the lack of exercise is that its probably not actually true.

There is an element in there that says to me its something about ‘make-up’ and gene’s also – if you take mine and my Dad’s side of the family; all the blokes (and my Grandad for one was one of eight brothers) are (and were) built the same – tall and skinny.

No matter what we eat/drink we don’t really put weight on. So it seems that the opposite can be true. But I do agree though that there are an awful lot of people who really shouldn’t be as fat as they are.

Obviously our women-folk love us for it 👿

BruceWee

Reduce the working week to 30 hours.

I’m serious, it seems that more and more jobs involve sitting in front of a computer for (at least) 40 hours a week. Increasing weekends to 3 days would give people more chance to exercise.

For me, personally, I like at least one day of chilling out at home per week. This means I generally only have one day with an extended exercise period and everything else is just an hour or two here and there during the week.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I hate the ‘It’s in my genes/I dont eat much’ excuses.

Let’s face facts… It’s imossible to put on body fat if you use more calories than you consume.

Let someone lock you in a room for a month with only water and salad.. lets see if it really is your ‘genes’.

Edit: That post may seem a little harsh, but I know so many fat bstrds who are in complete and utter denial.

joao3v16
    Free Member

The only problem with the ‘theory’ that all fat people are fat due to the crap they eat and the lack of exercise is that its probably not actually true.

Yes, it is a more complex issue than just bad diet and lack of exercise in some cases. But these two elements are key factors in the majority of cases.

My belief is that it’s the lifestyle changes post WW2 that have generally made everyone less active, by design or by choice, plus the increase in processed and ‘junk’ foods.

As an example, when I was growing up in the late70’s/early 80’s I walked or got the bus everywhere with my mum, there was no dishwasher, no microwave, no laptop, no Wii/Playstation, TV was limited, we played outside at almost every opportunity, all meals were home-made from fresh stuff … overall we were far more active and ate ‘proper’ food … and the key thing: my parents made sure I had a good diet and didn’t just sit around on my ar$e watching TV – they encouraged me to get outside and do stuff, took me cycling, hiking, cricket/football in the park etc etc …

iDave
    Free Member

corn syrup has a lot to answer for

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘The Obesity Time Bomb – Tonight Programme.’ is closed to new replies.