Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The north east in a weekend, specifically Scarborough
  • tman100
    Free Member

So what would you recommend for mrs tman100 and I? Were having a weekend in Scarborough next month simply as a stay at home break we’ve never visited that part of the country.
    Mrs tman isnt into any kind of cycling so the bike isn’t going with us. Any must do’s or definitely avoids?

Thanks tman100

butcher

Whitby is nice, if you’re around that way.

Harry_the_Spider

Robin Hoods Bay is worth a visit.

john_drummer
    Free Member

if you don’t already have a base, Ox Pasture Hall hotel on the way towards Scalby is quite nice – provided you don’t get a room above either (a) reception or (b) kitchen

not sure if they still do it but they used to have scale model naval battles on the lake at Peasholm Park. Marine Drive can be quite ‘bracing’ if the wind is up. The Grand Hotel is a Butlins. Yorkshire County Cricket Club sometimes play at North Marine Road. They used to have motorcycle racing at Oliver’s Mount, don’t know if that still happens

Being from Leeds when I was a kid we used to do day trips to Scarborough, Bridlington, Whitby, Filey but TBH I wouldn’t know what to do with my time in any of these places as an adult

johndoh
    Free Member

Peaseholme Park is still on, but I doubt at this time of year. Think they do it three times a week in summer though.

Whitby, Saltburn, Robin Hoods Bay, Filey Brigg.

All good.

augustuswindsock

The harbour bar on the sea front is a must, fantastic home made ice creams in authentic 1950’s setting, it’s been used in countless films and telly, we never go to s’bro without a visit! The hole in the wall for a pint, Dalby if you can sneak off!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Great cliff top walks! Filey brigg, check the bloody tide times!!. Bempton cliffs. Little secret coves. I love that coastline, in fact we’re off there on Friday for a week…

Hohum
    Free Member

If you are visiting by car for the day then parking is keek and the sea is goddam chilly, even in July, so I hate to think how cold it is at the end of March!

TooTall
    Free Member

Go up the coast to Staithes.

You will thank me for that recommendation.

Hobster
    Free Member

Drive across the moors from Pickering to Whitby

Staithes

North York Moors railway from Pickering.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We are clearly going to freeze up there this year! Maybe more snow on the way for the end of the week……

Drac

Scarborough in the NE? That’s almost the Midlands.

DrJ

+1 for Staithes. Runswick Bay. Love that area. If you’re a photographer make a pilgrimage to Joe Cornish’s gallery at Great Ayton.

johndoh
    Free Member

Joe Cornish? Bloody awful pictures. All Cokin filters. Yak.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you’re a photographer make a pilgrimage to Joe Cornish’s gallery at Great Ayton.

Plenty of galleries showing Frank Meadow Sutcliffes work too. All in black & white cos colour wasn’t even invented!

djglover
    Free Member

NYM railway, has to be the best (if not one of the) heritage railways in the country!

Farndale daffodil walk

Lunch at the Lion on Blakey Ridge.

Thats what I’m planning for this years trip over there anyway 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

+1 essel

DrJ

Joe Cornish? Bloody awful pictures. All Cokin filters. Yak.

Wrong on both counts, as it ‘appens, but wtf.

joespencer33
    Free Member

+1 for the railway, if you get chance, get off at levisham and take a walk up to skelton tower (look on OS)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The north east in a weekend, specifically Scarborough’ is closed to new replies.