• This topic has 76 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dayzy-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • The national lottery, it really is rubbish now.
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong I’d have been very happy had I got just short of 1.5mil last night but people must seriously be losing interest when the “jackpot” doesn’t even reach the 3mil mark. However you really would have been gutted if you’d got 5 numbers and only made £555 😯

Drac

Yup not what it once was I think the Eurolottery was the changing point. Even more so now it costs the same.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1.5 million, just 50k/year tax free for the next 30 years 🙂

stumpy01

Yep, I’ve always thought the drop off between getting every number and ‘almost every number’ is a bit steep.

Would be great to win, though!

Klunk
    Free Member

Even more so now it costs the same.

you also seem to have more of a chance of winning your stake back.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I stopped buying into it when it went up to £2 a line.
    I also don’t personally know anyone who’s won a substantial amount on it.
    Like has been said above if I do fancy a flutter I use the euromillions lottery.

konabunny
    Free Member

it’s a mug’s game either way

cloudnine
    Free Member

Won £25 for 3 numbers on last nights draw

bigblackshed

It’s been in a long, slow, steady decline for years. Camelot have just spread the amount of money spent on lottery products thinly over too many games. Back in the early days the jackpot was 8-9 million, rollovers would be knocking on the 20 million mark.

Now you have two draws a week, thunderball, daily draws, and vast arrays of scratch cards. The jackpot hardly changed when the price doubled.

I only ever do the euromillions, and that’s if I remember to pick up a ticket.

ricky1
    Free Member

I only do euro millions now,lottery is rubbish,1.1 million,£500,000 house,£300,000 Lamborghini,not much left to fill the tank,you could probably live off 1.1 million if you have your wits about you.
    Personally I would need more.

Drac

I also don’t personally know anyone who’s won a substantial amount on it.

My neighbours a few doors up did.

it’s a mug’s game either way

Here come the fun police.

mdavids
    Free Member

Stopped doing it when it went to £2 a line despite using the same numbers since the very start.

I now can’t look at any results for the rest of my life in case my old numbers come up.

jonba
    Free Member

Stealth tax. Still, look what it did for British Cycling.

alpin
    Free Member

the payouts are crap when compared to the odds of getting all six numbers. should really be paying out ~14 million based on the odds.

why not go down to the bookies and chance a fiver on getting five numbers correct… spread over five bets. better chance of winning and a big payout if you do.

konabunny
    Free Member

Here come the fun police.

Doesn’t seem like there are that many people having fun that I’m spoiling. (PS you’re still a mug if you buy lottery tickets).

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

How much did they win drac?

MoreCashThanDash

We have a syndicate at work for a bit of a laugh. Win £25 fairly regularly. We don’t take it that seriously, we know it’s a shadow of it’s former self. But we reckon we paid for London 2012 over the years!

At least two “proper” winners in our village, apparently. They seem happy enough!

footflaps

Agree. I only bother with Euromillions now, the lottery is barely worth bothering with.

Drac

How much did they win drac?

About £125k IIRC.

Doesn’t seem like there are that many people having fun that I’m spoiling. (PS you’re still a mug if you buy lottery tickets).

Some people enjoy putting it on, I do, Mug nah just someone who chucks a spare £2 on the odd euro line for well fun.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I still play both not least as 45% of the Lottery ticket price goes to good causes but it’s the euro millions which catches the eye.

Smudger666

Someone famous (can’t remember who) did some maths and said ‘trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying scheduled commercial airlines’.

If you buy a ticket on Monday, there’s more chance of you dying before you can collect your winnings on Saturday!

That said, I still play the odd line if I’ve got change in my pocket on the Friday cider run.

IdleJon

‘trying to get rich by playing the lottery is like trying to commit suicide by flying scheduled commercial airlines’.

I know of a couple of people who have won large amounts and plenty of people who have won £10s or £100s.

I don’t know anyone who has been in a plane crash, or a partial air disaster. 😉

stumpy01

mdavids – Member
    Stopped doing it when it went to £2 a line despite using the same numbers since the very start.

I now can’t look at any results for the rest of my life in case my old numbers come up.

This happened to my in-laws. Gave up when it increased to £2, having used the same numbers since the start.
    Randomly looking at the results while waiting for the next program to start and their numbers came up…!

Drac

If you buy a ticket on Monday, there’s more chance of you dying before you can collect your winnings on Saturday!

Best collect it earlier then, maybe the Thursday.

mefty
    Free Member

you are 8 times as likely to win the lottery compared to the euromillions.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I wouldn’t moan of I won lol.

I just buy one euro lotto ticket.

The U.K. Lotto has too many stupid games and silly prices.

CountZero

I do the Euromillions if there’s a good sized pot, but I do the Health Lottery fairly regularly, much cheaper, and a £100,000 win would make a big difference to my life, it would clear my mortgage and some other stuff, and still leave a large chunk that I could add to my meagre pension pot.
    A Euromillions win would give me a life I could quickly become accustomed to, though… 😀

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its a detection mechanism for catching time-travellers.

simmy
    Free Member

A former neighbours dad won 4.3 million in 2000, gave my neighbour 1 million, he paid his mortgage off and moved to a bigger house.

OK, he’s mortgage free now but he’s blown the lot and now drives a minibus.

Klunk
    Free Member

OK, he’s mortgage free now but he’s blown the lot and now drives a minibus.

how much coke and hookers does 820k buy you

scotroutes

As an idiot tax it even surpasses speeding fines.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The lower jackpots are part of a plan Camalot put in place at the same time they put the price up, they also operate the Euro Millions in the UK too, so there’s little point making it appeal to punters after big wins because the Euros will always be bigger so why compete with yourself?

The National Lottery now offers better prizes for smaller wins (although £500 for 5 numbers sounds a kick in the spuds!) and there’s a raffle element.

So if you’re looking for a reasonable chance (relative to lotteries) of winning a couple of quid, maybe a few hundreds and a 14 million to 1 or so chance of winning more than a million play the National Lottery, it’s closer to ‘normal gambling’.

If you want to buy into a dream of winning tens of millions you play the Euros – the odds aren’t as good – 76 million combinations of numbers apparently, but they do share the pot with lessor winners if it gets too big.

I play the Euro now and again, it’s nice to day dream about garages full of exotic cars or private jet flights to Whistler with your mates – but does anyone play to actually win it? Do people sit there Friday night desperately holding onto their ticket prying for the win?

vondally
    Free Member

3 am and an email alter off from the phone…..lottery ‘we have news re your ticket log in’ ….I am awake so I look sorry you cannot access thwe site between 3 and 6 am,

£3.00

footflaps

Do people sit there Friday night desperately holding onto their ticket prying for the win?

Only way out of the ghetto, either that or boxing…..

chickenman

Is it more superstitious to believe in God or in your chances of winning the Lottery, I wonder???
    Watching a bloke 20 years ago buy a lottery ticket and a packet of fags I did ask myself whether the human brain is wired to understand probability….good chance of the Jackpot…poor chance of The Big C. 😯

Drac

Is it more superstitious to believe in God or in your chances of winning the Lottery, I wonder???

Well there’s evidence of people wining the lottery so that answers that one.

chickenman

Chances of winning the lottery close to 100% Drac; somebody wins almost every week.
    Chances of me winning the lottery would improve if I bought a ticket but not by much..

Drac

Chances of me winning the lottery would improve if I bought a ticket but not by much..

Well from 0 to 1:54 of some kind of win, that’s fair bit and even at 1:14m it’s a lot better than no chance. But if you don’t want to play then so be it others don’t mind playing it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Almost as regressive as football season tickets!

chickenman

I do want to play, honest…it’s just my left hemisphere (the rational, thinking part of the brain)that prevents me…. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘The national lottery, it really is rubbish now.’ is closed to new replies.