Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • the internet, ps3's & renting movies.
  • billybob
    Free Member

So following on from the thread the other day about ps3's vs xbox, I plumped for a ps3 – very happy with it I am as well, watched my first blu ray film the other day & everything.

Here however is where I get confused. Blu ray discs have loverly surround sound, as have DVD's for years – sony on their online store let you buy or rent movies in standard definition or HD… so how come they only have sound in 2.0?! To further confuse me I have noticed on the itunes store you can rent movies in glorious 5.1 sound, but surprise, surprise you can only watch them on you pc, ipod, or apple tv (unless you have something set up to stream pc content to your telly.)

Is there any online service that would allow me to rent movies online for a similar price, that I can then use the ps3 to play them back?!

I don't mind paying to rent – I really don't! But at the moment I wouldn't pay to rent from the sony store as the sound'll be rubbish & I wont rent from itunes cos I don't want to watch on the pc!

Milkie
    Free Member

You are right. Sony HD movies are in stereo only.

iTunes movies are DRM protected. What you could do is strip the DRM protection from the movie and re-encode. Not the best solution I know.

I use TVersity for streaming movies and TV episodes to the PS3 on the fly, it says its in 5.1, but I don't have the rears connected.

billybob
    Free Member

doh – there was I thinking this might be easy!! For a minute there I also thought I might've reached the edge of singletrackworlds knowledge!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘the internet, ps3's & renting movies.’ is closed to new replies.