Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • The Godfather… Dilema
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

sweepy – Member
    When I was asked I said no. Not because I dont believe in christ, not because I am offended by the way the church imposes their views on others (although both true).

thats sort of where I'm coming from Sweepy. But I didn't say no, I said in a jokey way (had a few wines at that point.. ) that of course I wouldn't be able to do the religious bit. I've set the ground for me being able to back out. I guess my point of view is more than being an atheist, I really don't like religion one bit, and I dn't hide these view, so by taking part I will be somehow condoning it.

I think big John is right,

Get your sister to ask the priest what to do. If she tells him you can't say things you don't believe in, (and your situation will not shock him) he might have an acceptable alternative.

it might be a good way forward.

Problem is the longer I put off talking to her about it the harder it will be if I say no…

Haha I was thinking you guys might help me make my mind up, seems I've made it even more confusing for myself!

BigJohn

Big John is always right. But don't ask the vicar if you can swear on me. 😈

scotia
    Free Member

Well yes that too, although in reality I would be way down the pecking order, although if something did happen to them that wouldn't be something I would have a problem with…

do you mean what i think you mean?

nice

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Well yes that too, although in reality I would be way down the pecking order, although if something did happen to them that wouldn't be something I would have a problem with…

do you mean what i think you mean?

ROFL just saw what I said, Or the freudian stuff anyhow….. I think you know what I actually meant 😉

scotia
    Free Member

Well i wouldnt want you as a brother let alone ask you to be the godfather of my children.

Im a godfather to the child of one of our best friends, and i never even thought about the religious side of it. Before you accept it maybe have a think..

nicko74

Just to clarify the title – you do understand that being A godfather doesn't make you THE Godfather, right? "you come here and ask me for a piece of wedding cake, on my daughter's wedding day" and all that…

MrOvershoot

As I was never christened & don't do the religon thing, I'm a "sponsor" to my sister in laws daughter.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I don't understand why those that don't go to church have their children baptised and I don't understand why anyone would ask a non-Christian to be a God-parent and I don't understand why a non-Christian would want to be one.

I say this as a non-Christian who has had a lot to do with Christians and church over the years. Maybe I find it more significant an event than non-Christians who see it as one of those things that you do like getting married and having birthdays? Also, maybe a lot of non-Church goers kinda think they believe in God?

clubber
    Free Member

I don't understand why anyone would ask a non-Christian to be a God-parent and I don't understand why a non-Christian would want to be one.

For the same reasons that most non-Christians still celebrate Xmas – it's about much more than what it originally was/is supposedly meant to be.

My friends asked me to do it because we're very good friends and it's a nice thing to involve friends in your family. I don't take any issue with it because it's nothing more than a nice thing to do (I'm not expected to look after the kids should anything happen to the parents – their aunt/uncle would do that) and to kick up a fuss would have been stupid and petty, frankly. If they'd asked on the basis of taking the kids in should the worst happen, I'd have been fine with that actually. I wouldn't have agreed in the unlikely event that there had been a requirement to bring them up through the church system because that would be silly considering my own position.

scotia
    Free Member

I don't understand why anyone would ask a non-Christian to be a God-parent and I don't understand why a non-Christian would want to be one.

Cant you get over yourself and think a little outside of the box? Take what Clubber has said and think it over maybe..

tiger_roach
    Free Member

As a non-Christian I could not say what I am supposed to say at a baptism as a parent or God father. Other people aren't so conscientious and that's there problem but doesn't mean I get why.

clubber
    Free Member

So don't say it (ok, this won't work if you're the only god parent) – or at least not the prayer bit. In fact, thinking about it, that might be what I did. I don't ever do the prayer bit if I'm in church – just sit up and keep quiet. Though really, if I had do I wouldn't have much of an issue. It's just words and the great bit about being non-religious is that I only have to justify my conscience to myself…

tiger_roach
    Free Member

If you're asked by a non-Christian to be a God parent then I suppose it doesn't matter as it's all a sham anyway. I suppose the thing is atheists would want to stick to what they believe and refuse to go along with this sort of thing whilst agnostics – are most of us agnostic to some degree? – might be happy to join in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

scotia you have an odd attitude always telling people to think etc

Im a godfather to the child of one of our best friends, and i never even thought about the religious side of it. Before you accept it maybe have a think..

Perhaps as it was you who failed to think about the religious side of being a GODparent perhaps it is you who needs to go and have a think?

clubber
    Free Member

the thing is atheists would want to stick to what they believe and refuse to go along with this sort of thing

No. You're wrong. Atheists can do what they want. There are no rules. If they chose to go to church every week and play along despite not believing a word of it because they enjoyed it then that'd be fine.

Of course, just as there are religious fanatics, there are atheist fanatics who like to tell you how you have to behave. They're arguably even worse than religious ones.

AdamW
    Free Member

If you're asked by a non-Christian to be a God parent then I suppose it doesn't matter as it's all a sham anyway. I suppose the thing is atheists would want to stick to what they believe and refuse to go along with this sort of thing whilst agnostics – are most of us agnostic to some degree? – might be happy to join in.

Without adding too much fuel to the fire Dawkins calls himself an agnostic. Mainly because you cannot prove a negative (i.e. you cannot prove that something does not exist, only that it does). Like me he's agnostic about the christian gods the same way that he's agnostic about Zeus etc.

I was asked to be a godparent and responded that as long as the kiddie was within reach (they've now moved to the other side of the country) then I would teach it about all religions and none so it had a broad view of belief and bollox to the church rubbish. When it grew up it could decide for itself. I went through with the ceremony but crossed my fingers when it got to the god rubbish. 😀

What really got me though was that the parents were simply getting the child christened because the families would like it and it was 'the done thing'. They were atheist themselves but had to have the big church wedding and all the bells and whistles. If I were a christian I'd find that quite demeaning.

Saying that, they have wound me up recently (christians, that is). Just come back from Keswick on holiday and the place was crawling with them (some sort of conference). Kumbya morning, noon and night!

tiger_roach
    Free Member

No. You're wrong. Atheists can do what they want

They can do what they want but they aren't being true to themselves which in turn could/should lead others to doubt their integrity IMO.

scotia
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    scotia you have an odd attitude always telling people to think etc

Perhaps as it was you who failed to think about the religious side of being a GODparent perhaps it is you who needs to go and have a think?

Junkyard…what i mean was that i never let the fact that i am not religious cloud my judgment on whether or not i'd accept to be his godfather. The friends in question dont have any request that i do anything in the way of teaching religion so i dont think it needs to be even brought up. I believe that you are stuck a bit with a name..

maybe my attitude in telling people to think is a bit strange, but often on here alot is said without thinking..

clubber
    Free Member

Sorry but no. I can say and do whatever I want since I don't have to justify it to a higher power and certainly not your or anyone else's views. If I choose to go along with a religeous ceremony then I can do that. I'm being true to myself. I know what I believe, my friends do and I'm not making a big song and dance about something inconsequential. That's exactly who I am and so I'm being completely true to myself. Maybe you like to make a big fuss about your atheist 'beliefs' so that's what you have to do to be true to yourself I guess. Seems silly to me but then if were all forced to agree we'd call that a religion 😉

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Maybe I'm assuming someone who states that they are an atheist wants to be perceived as such and not just an agnostic. BTW, I am agnostic and don't want people to think I am something I am not – that's integrity to me.

IHN

I've been asked by both friends and family to be a godparent, and in each case I've been incredibly flattered, but declined. I think that to make solemn vows about bringing up the child in the ways of the church, vows that I have no intention of keeping, in front of people who believe those vows to be important, is at the very least incredibly disrespectful.

Interestingly, those that asked me that actually knew why they were getting their child christened understood and accepted why I declined. And I'm still a part of their children's lives, and in some cases will be their guardian should the worst happen.

IHN

What really got me though was that the parents were simply getting the child christened because the families would like it and it was 'the done thing'. They were atheist themselves but had to have the big church wedding and all the bells and whistles. If I were a christian I'd find that quite demeaning.

Exactly

DezB
    Free Member

I don't understand why those that don't go to church have their children baptised and I don't understand why anyone would ask a non-Christian to be a God-parent and I don't understand why a non-Christian would want to be one.

Agree with that. Have turned down offer to be a godparent (I think it was my brother's kid) for that reason. And I can't stand being in bloody churches, so why should I go through one of those bullsht ceremonies? Yeah, maybe I should "get over myself", whatever that means.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sorry but no. I can say and do whatever I want since I don't have to justify it to a higher power

Including standing in the house of the deity you don’t believe and telling it and its followers that you will bring a child up in their ways…yes you can openly lie if you choose too. Why would you ? Why would your friends want you too?
    Ps I believe they can do what they want as well they just need to repent afterwards 😉

scotia
    Free Member

I've been asked by both friends and family to be a godparent, and in each case I've been incredibly flattered, but declined, for exactly that reason.

Thats very good, well done you win a prize.

My case is exactly the same as clubbers above – have i been bad in the eyes of the lord?

clubber
    Free Member

Including standing in the house of the deity you don’t believe and telling it and its followers that you will bring a child up in their ways…yes you can openly lie if you choose too. Why would you ? Why would your friends want you too?

Technically, I don't think I did actually say the words but even if I had since pretty much everyone there knew me well and knew full well that I was a hethen who'd been to church about three times before (the parents' wedding being one of them where I was best man) I just don't have an issue with it. Lying, yes I guess technically but the great thing about not being tied into a religion is that I can define for myself what I think is reasonable. You may or may not agree but clearly plenty do and as such I don't think I'm way off centre on this.

I didn't think it was nice or reasonable to say no to being godparent to my close friends who were keen for their close friends to be godparents since the act of going to church just isn't a problem for me as a one off and especially since for most of us there I reckon, the religion was largely incidental – it was about welcoming the kids into the world.

IHN

My case is exactly the same as clubbers above – have i been bad in the eyes of the lord?

I think your missing my point. I don't believe there is a lord, but there are plenty of people that do, and they are quite entitled to that opinion. I'm talking about not being disrespectful to their beliefs and not being hypocritical regarding my own. And, as someone has said, basically not lying.

since for most of us there I reckon, the religion was largely incidental – it was about welcoming the kids into the world.

And there's no other way of doing that than a sham-religious ceremony?

clubber
    Free Member

Probably so but that's not what the parents wanted. Clearly those of us there were able to put our friends first since we didn't have any major issues with it. I guess maybe we should have heeded our consciences and insisted that the parents do what suited us better.

IHN

Probably so but that's not what the parents wanted. Clearly those of us there were able to put our friends first since we didn't have any major issues with it. I guess maybe we should have heeded our consciences and insisted that the parents do what suited us better.

I never suggested that you should. I just don't understand why you'd actually take an active part in a ceremony for a religion of which you are not a member, indeed one you actively believe is nonsense.

I think a lot of this comes down to people thinking that Christianity is their de facto religion because they are (generally) white and British, even though they do not actually have 'faith'. So they get married in churches, have their children christened etc because that's what you do, rather because that's what they believe.

clubber
    Free Member

No doubt that's a part of it for many.

I've explained. I took part because my friends wanted me to and I had no issue doing it. It was a really nice day as it happens.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have not read the whole thread but another aspect is if like me you are not baptised / christened you cannot be a godparent.

As I said earlier I am a godless parent to several children in that if anything happened to the parents I would take the kids. they also had official godparents who were at the christening but would not have been in a position to take the kids.

clubber
    Free Member

You're wrong TJ – I am 😉 maybe I'm not supposed to be.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I can't actually believe that many agnostic people are so petty and small minded that they refuse their friends requests. My father did the same to his sister years ago, he's a big Dawkins fan, an extremist agnostic I like to call him.

My wife and I are godparents and agnostic, we had no problem in going to the church and going through the ritual to please our friends, there is no comeback, their god isn't going to strike me down (I dont think ;-)) and its a nice day spent among friends in a nice building.

Junkyard
    Free Member

your lack of principles flexible morals makes you an ideal candidate for any parental role 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I'm an Atheist. I will not tell lies about my opinions and cheapen them by being a hypocrite. I would expect the hypothetical friends in this scenario to respect my honesty.

They might also need to think about what the child would get from me in the future once it starts asking questions about it's parent's preferred superstition…

Edit: although obviously, if they are of the "we're just doing this so we can get the kid into a "CofE school"-type, then no doubt that wouldn't be a concern, but that's not enough to encourage me to hypocratise.

The only circumstances in which I'd say something like "I believe in god" would be if I was in immediate danger of torture and death if I didn't.

IHN

I can't actually believe that many agnostic people are so petty and small minded

Go on, I'll bite. I don't think that having respect for the religious beliefs of others, and a desire to not be a hypocrite, is particularly petty.

we had no problem in going to the church and going through the ritual to please our friends

If your friends were truly Christian, and were having their child(ren) baptised to bring them into that faith, why did they ask you if they knew you did not share that faith? That goes back to my "do people actually think about why they're baptising their child' point"

its a nice day spent among friends in a nice building

And that's absolutely the reason why one should choose to have one's children baptised.

Junkyard
    Free Member

do find it odd how many non believers view honesty as petty.

clubber
    Free Member

Where have I been dishonest?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

There are non-religious alternatives right? Like marrying in a stately home or registry office? Not so common I guess but still.

BTW, the God(less) parent thing is a bit odd to me in terms of taking care of the kid if the parents die – you can have just the same sort of thing without all that ceremony malarkey and indeed I'm not aware of any legal status associated with it.

D0NK

Ooh some people getting worked up about this, I guess it's not black and white but many shades of grey, summarised thusly

1. Rampantly religious types
    2. think religion is fairly benign and like to think their chosen deity exists
    3. "WGAS?"
    4. Don't like the sound of that much
    5. Rabidly atheist

Anyone in 2-4 are the ones saying don't worry about it turn up and do your thing, the 1s and 5s who take it all very seriously (nothing wrong with that) and say no don't do it.

for reference I'd say I'm a 2 but I seem to be heading down that list.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘The Godfather… Dilema’ is closed to new replies.