Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The fear
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I have just got back from a quick blast around moors valley country park. For those of you who don’t know its a very tame flat little all whether loop just outside Ringwood Hampshire. Nothing to be scard of. It does however have a “skil!s area” I’ve never taken the time to find this dispute living very close. I found it and freaked out. Its mainly dirt jumps but nothing massive. 4′ ish high 6’ish gaps rhythm section and a pump track. I could not make my self jump it! Plenty of excuses like on my own, fadeing light, not the most apropate bike (on one instead 29er ridgid SPD’s tight) but basically I bottled it. About 18 months ago I did the main run in the jump gully at Swinley with out thinking on the same bike. Seat droped just did it. I’ve never been a no fear grr rider but little jumps like this I should have no problems, even if I could not make the entire rhythum section and bailed after the first but I would not even run in! Aaaarrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Tldr: I’m a pussy.

eulach

Go back with your friends, in daylight on the right bike.
    If you still bottle it, buy a set of golf clubs.

eulach

I was joking about the golf clubs – practice and build on what you can do. It’s much easier with other people around, even if it’s just to call for an ambulance.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Here’s your prescription.

😉

(BTW, can’t remember the last time I had my wheels off the ground!)

jamesoz

Acid Reign album.

TheBrick
    Free Member

10 15 years ago I would go for friends + beer as a solution but I might try those pills now!

zippykona

I make a point of owning the wrong bike for this wheels in the air malarkey .

TheBrick
    Free Member

It the only MTB (I have just bough a full sus but its in bit atm) I have but I’ve managed before. Getting old me thinks! I might have a poke around on Sunday.

tenfoot

I have recently joined the wheels in the air brigade, but everytime I clear a jump I feel mighty relieved and keep thinking it will only end in tears.

roverpig

Why do you want to do it? Will you actually gain any pleasure from doing it, or do you just feel less of a man for not taking a risk? Is your feeling of self-worth dependent on taking risks?

Generally I find that I can make myself ride down stuff if I give myself enough of a talking to, but nine times out of ten I get to the bottom and think “What was the point of that? You didn’t actually enjoy it, you just didn’t want to feel a wimp for not doing it. Isn’t this supposed to be something that you do for fun?”. I’ve never really come up with good answers to those questions.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not exactly had The Fear, just a few serious injuries that made my slightly re-evaluate my riding (if only for the season of missed riding as much as the short-term pain). mentally reset myself with a Jedi skills session. Smoother, more controlled, better technique rather than the faster-higher-longer. I now find riding something well more satisfying than adding a foot to my biggest gap/drop.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Liking the appropriate username now Brick, but I would suggest registering up on stw with username brickingit for full effect.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ha!

Why is a good question? Probably because its there and not being undown by simple things!

roverpig

But it’s not simple. If it was simple you would have done it. I bet 99% of the population would consider it impossible to ride down the bit you were scared of. You just think it should be simple because you are comparing yourself with a vanishingly small proportion of people. But there will always be people who will attempt stuff you wont. So what next? You do it, then what? Do you just beat yourself up for not doing the next harder bit? Where does it end?

jedi

awesome news crashtestmonkey 🙂

Sandwich

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG2cux_6Rcw[/video]

hora
    Free Member

OP who will pay your mortgage? Ride to enjoy, not to feel pressure.

kerley
    Free Member

It no longer has any worth to me so I don’t do it and why I stick to XC. I get my enjoyment from riding as fast as I can under my own power and still enjoy technical twisty stuff but have no desire to increase my chances of a bad fall.

I was obsessed with BMX until I was 18 and did a lot of very stupid stuff but now I am almost 50 I don’t like the thought of the longer healing time combined with a sense of the years running out. A wasted summer off the bike at 50 is a lot different than a wasted summer off the bike at 16

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Lmao @ Captainflashearts Growaset 😆

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8wAXDZ9D0
    my Favourite song 😉

maxtorque

I blame the Internet!

These days, 10sec on You-Tube will show you peeps hiting massive jumps, gaps, stepdowns or whatever without what looks to be any particular technique or skill.

The natural reaction is to think, “I can do that”.

What those 2min “edits” on You-Tube don’t show is all the thousands of hrs of practice, painful crashing, and case-ing jumps to get to that point!

Probably the most important “skill” i learn’t from Tony (@ukbikeskills) is to judge when to walk away! 😆

Last month in Les Arcs there was a Gap jump that people were hitting and i REALLY wanted to do it. But i looked at it, took a proper honest look at where i was (top of a mountain, on day 2 of a week long holiday), weighed up how i was feeling that day and thought “Nah, i’ll leave that one thanks”.

Sure, i’d loved to have ridden it, and you know what, i’m 99% sure i could have done it, but on that day 99% wasn’t enough!

oldtalent
    Free Member

I feel the 99% days are getting more frequent unfortunately and its really starting to get to me.

TheBrick
    Free Member

OP who will pay your mortgage?

Good point!

I’m still not giving up on it but I need to find something to work up to it. I’ve always been a over thinker!

Still going on a nice simple bivi tonight though! No risk, except from the aliens and their probes again!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I think you are understating the jumps. I was up there for the first time in ages, and the new line that has emerged is pretty high commitment in my opinion. I wouldn’t jump it.

I preferred it when the woodwork was there. It all looks a bit like the local kids have thrown it together now.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Jump gulley : no worries
    Watchmoor doubles? No ta.

The pump track flows nicely though, 5 laps and I’m done though…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Went back today and pumped round the pump track and rolled over a few table tops. One of the things I realised was how sketchy all of the run in are, really puts you off before the take off, all really rough to the point there is a 4″ route just before one of the take offs! Did the A470 line at BPW no problem but it is super smooth in the jump section so I have not completely lost it!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The fear’ is closed to new replies.