Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • The Emporers Not Wearing any clothes….
  • BermBandit
    Free Member

…and hes touching my bottom 😯

So how much longer will it be before organised religion is seen for what it is and ceases to exist? Is it likely to be any sooner than the great unwashed waking up to the farce that is Westminster and demanding change there?

In short why do we put up with all this crap?

willard

Because people want to believe in something? Because some people want the security that a belief gives them?

Personally, I think it’s a joke. I believe in myself and the people around me, not some invisible thing, but the “being nice to other people” thing at the core of most religions seems like a good thing to adhere to.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where to start?

Well, firstly the word is “Emperor”.

Secondly, what has David Beckham’s choice of hotel got to do with organised religion and/or what occurs in Westminster?

*Confused*

vinnyeh

In short why do we put up with all this crap?

I take it you mean your poor linking skills- goes to the Beckham story for me.

binners

Is this some scurrilous and unfounded accusation about Becks in the showers? I’m confused

theotherjonv

yep – I’m sure if he can afford £14,000 a night for hotel rooms he can afford a decent lawyer to sue you for libel……….

loum
    Free Member

Having demonstrated his ability to say “bonjour” at press conferences, David Beckham will at least be able to greet his personal butler.

?

robbespierre
    Free Member

should that be butt-ler in this context?

BermBandit
    Free Member

Soz: Not quite sure how thats happened, but this is the story I linked too

Cardinal sin

binners

Wouldn’t this be an ecumenical matter?

jon1973
    Free Member

Careful now.

honeybadgerx

Down with that sort of thing!

richmtb

So how much longer will it be before organised religion is seen for what it is and ceases to exist?

Serious answer: in the UK 2 more generations. Compare our generations religiosity with our grandparents’ generation. Extrapolate that forward to your childrens’ children.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

So how much longer will it be before organised religion is seen for what it is

What, the belief that we should love each other (as Jesus loved us, in the Christian way of things)?

The sooner we get rid of that idiotic notion, the better.

You must be really stupid to put your faith in love.

BermBandit
    Free Member

You must be really stupid to fall for a belief in love over all.

and you must be struggling to seperate the concept of personal belief systems from the word organised

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I am struggling to see the difference between ‘religion’ and ‘organised religion’, yes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And here we go again….

binners

Religion won’t disappear. It’ll just change. In a bit we’ll all be wearing t shirts with this on

Because if we don’t, a big beardy, shouty bloke will chop our arms off with a big sword. Then we’ll go misty-eyed and long for the halcyon days of being touched up by a bloke in a frock after choir practice

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

On a logical note, if a teacher or nurse is found to be making ‘inappropriate advances’, does that mean that ‘organised education’ or ‘organised healthcare’ should cease to exist?

What about all these celebrities being questioned about inappropriate advances, and worse: an end to ‘organised entertainment’?

Notice I didn’t list politicians. Hoping for an end to ‘organised politics’ might make me look like a loony.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

and here we go again….

lol, sometimes it’s fun to join in though

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Wouldn’t this be an ecumenical matter?

😆

Spot on!

Nice Father Ted reference!

For emphasis..

CountZero

You must be really stupid to put your faith in love.

I can think of lots of worse things.

richmtb

On a logical note, if a teacher or nurse is found to be making ‘inappropriate advances’, does that mean that ‘organised education’ or ‘organised healthcare’ should cease to exist?

This is an interesting point. I personally don’t think we should abandon religion because of one or two perverts. I think we should abandon it because its patently absurd.

Besides we have better systems of control for society now anyway

Nico
    Free Member

Are we saying that the cardinal is a nuncio?

BermBandit
    Free Member

touched a nerve Knobby by any chance?

If you read what I wrote, the question I posed was how much longer before either the thing collapes or we demand change?

Seems to me that as things stand, its intolerable, i.e. when the top gun in the UK Catholic church is found to be a a bit more than a tad hypocritical, but thats no different though than corrupt and immoral politicians, and so again I wonder at what point folk at large will reject what they stand for and demand better, or have we all just become immune to it and have simply come to accept the shabbyness of it all as the way things are?

Personally it properly hacks me off.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Not read the full thread but I love the Father Ted reference up there 🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

touched a nerve Knobby by any chance?

Um, no, you’re alright.

or have we all just become immune to it and have simply come to accept the shabbyness of it all as the way things are?

That sense of immunity – or numbness – and mute acceptance of shabbiness are some of the things I find Christianity helps to relieve.

It sort of forces me to ask myself how much ‘being a nice person’ is just a theoretical defence for laziness, and how much I actually do to help other people. So I find myself doing things that otherwise I might not, and they make me feel better about life.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

The RC church has a very particular problem , patriarchal authoritarianism seems to have run its course in a modern world yet they cling to it to lick limpets…..

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

personally don’t think we should abandon religion because of one or two perverts. I think we should abandon it because its patently absurd.

At least that’s logical. 🙂

kimbers

The man has been one of the most outspoken critics of homosexuality in the country
    spreading the christian spirit of hatred and prejudice
    all the time forcing himself on other men, whilst wearing a dress
    and until now safely protected by the all loving church

the church is so arse about face they may as well elect dawkins as pope

edlong
    Free Member

Compare our generations religiosity with our grandparents’ generation. Extrapolate that forward to your childrens’ children.

Are we still just talking about Roman Catholics here, or are you looking at all religions and cultures? For the record, Islam is growing in the UK (as in, active observance of it, not like the nominal “Christians” who do the odd wedding and funeral but are otherwise irreligious).

anonymouse
    Free Member

the church is so arse about face they may as well elect dawkins as pope

Apparently Paddy Power are offering odds of 666-1. 😀

vinnyeh

The man has been one of the most outspoken critics of homosexuality in the country

NIce wee rant Kimbers, but..
    – the christian spirit isn’t about hatred and prejudice
    – it doesn’t seem he forced himself on others- made advances, sure.
    – nowt wrong with wearing a dress if you’re a man, and that’s no indicator of sexuality anyway
    – but it’s not a dress anyway, is it
    – what’s the church protecting him from?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

The ‘official’ stances on homosexuality, female bishops etc, are probably the main reasons I find it so difficult to say “I am a Christian”.

anonymouse
    Free Member

as in, active observance of it, not like the nominal “Christians” who do the odd wedding and funeral but are otherwise irreligious

Attending Friday prayers does not equate to active observance, there are a quite a few “nominal” muslims too.

vinnyeh

The ‘official’ stances on homosexuality, female bishops etc, are probably the main reasons I find it so difficult to say “I am a Christian”.

But these stances are bound to particular sects of a religion, aren’t they, lots of people have managed to incorporate acceptance of homosexuality and so on within their own christian belief system.

edlong
    Free Member

Not sure that I’d agree with that, I reckon that attending church once a week would be where I’d start looking at drawing the line between “active” Christians and the weddings-and-funerals lot. Ultimately, who can define what is / isn’t active observance?, but based on how people self-identify on that one, Islam is growing in the UK. Whether that means they pray five times a day, I don’t know.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

the question I posed was how much longer before either the thing collapes or we demand change?

Who is the “we” in this sentence? Does it actually include you, or is it a rhetorical ‘we’? Someone Else, in other words?

What is stopping you from demanding change yourself? Beyond posting about it on a mountainbike forum?

Go out in the world and do something, if it’s what you believe in.

edit: can I retract this on grounds of pomposity?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

But these stances are bound to particular sects of a religion, aren’t they, lots of people have managed to incorporate acceptance of homosexuality and so on within their own christian belief system.

Yep, it’s just a shame that non-acceptance seems to have a level of ‘official’ sanction, which affects the popular view of religion as a whole and skews conversations like this one.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Arse. Pheck.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘The Emporers Not Wearing any clothes….’ is closed to new replies.