Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The "cheaper" Scwalbe Hans Dampfs…any good?
  • BillOddie

Does anyone have any experience of the £24 Hans Dampfs seen here? I know the expensive 45-50quid ones are supposed to be great but how much of a step down are cheaper ones?

honourablegeorge

Why not get a €28 “expensive” one, instead of a £24 cheapo one?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k295/a53673/hans-dampf-evo-snake-skin-pacestar-235-tl-ready-folding.html

mtbfix

I hired a Cube at Whinlatter with HDs. As they were an OEM tyre I imagine they were not the top bangers. Grips was very good though. My neighbour has the posh pairing and is well impressed.

kimbers

I’ve got one been running it on the front and it’s been pretty good, sheds mud well and rolls fast considering the width cornering is great but in very slippery rootty stuff its let go a couple of times, very hardwearing too still looks like new even after some rocky welsh dh. so I’m sticking it on the back where I think it will be excellent and putting a chunky monkey up front

honourablegeorge

FWIW – a mate had the cheaper ones, and went to the expensive ones – said the expensive ones were miles better. I have the expensive ones, rat them highly.

kimbers

x2 post

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gonna say, I got a pair of the decent ones for £50 Dan, will find the link when I get home.

Ordered them on a wednesday, had them on the friday..

ryreed
    Free Member

I got a Pacestar/Trailstar pair for about £50 and they are great. I’ve had OEM tyres in the past which were a harder compound and the difference between these and ‘proper’ compounds is pretty clear in my experience. Same with Maxxis.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The harder compound of the ‘performance’ range is ok actually, i’ve ridden a few bikes with them on.

The big difference is as others have mentioned on root/slippery rock sections, they are a bit hairy compared to the better compounds.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Mate o mine has the “cheaper” one on the back. He says it’s grippy as chuff, but draggy.

He recommends. He paid £22 from nextdaytyres.

tutgareth
    Free Member

root/slippery rock sections, they are a bit hairy compared to the better compounds.

this was confirmed for me at the whinlatter loop on a hired dune rr with HD’s firtted. I had 3 “offs” on stuff that I’d normally breeze over with my minions, so far i’m not convinced with Hans dampf tyres

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had one of the £24 (nextdaytyres.co.uk) on the front of my main bike for nearly a year now and Im very pleased with it. Grips well and wears well too.
    Running it with tubes rather than tubeless mind.

mrelectric

CRC price isn’t bad until you look at http://www.bike-discount.de. Like the man said, why not get the performance version for 3euros more? Delivery is 6euros; still ~£30 less than UK.
    Ordered mine and should be here this week to replace the very good Canyon std issue tubeless rear Nobby Nic & Fatal Bert. Will put these on th 2nd bike when the Nokian ice tyres can come off.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The "cheaper" Scwalbe Hans Dampfs…any good?’ is closed to new replies.