Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • The best value cycling event……EVER!
  • MoreCashThanDash

Just got back from a Donnington Park Cycle Night – went with my 10 year old son, a mate and his daughter.

Absolute hoot, several hundred riders – and one rollerblader – doing laps of the Donnington circuit. Every age from tots on stabilisers through to a group of more mature gentlemen in tweeds riding Raleigh Shoppers. Lots of MAMILS, lots of MTBers, riding everything from 0-10″ travel at either end.

And everyone having a great time just riding whatever bikes they had in whatever manner they liked. The best £1 entry fee I have ever spent!

loddrik
    Free Member

🙄

I can go riding pretty much anywhere and certainly don’t have to pay for the privilege…

Diane
    Free Member

I think you missed the point Loddrik ….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    loddrik
    Free Member

Nope, I got it, always seems strange that people want to ride around other people, my bike enables me (and the kids) to get away from people.

yorlin
    Free Member

So you logged onto a forum to tell people you don’t like people? 8)

I can’t say riding round a flat piece of tarmac, regardless of how many other people seemed to be enjoying it, would appeal to me either.

Cue cries of ‘it’s all bikes’ and such nonsense. As per loddrik, I already ride my bike ta. T’others can please ’emselves

[/misery]

crankrider
    Free Member

Some miserable s@its on here that’s for sure!

May not be my cup of tea but I can see why it would be a laugh to some… Oh, and donnington is not that flat…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I would say Fort William DH is the best value event.

‘Cause I stay with mum and everything else is magical.

*Edit: I work to earn money to pay for cycling.
    I am a fine misanthropist, but mass participation cycling…I’M IN!

tom13
    Free Member

People need to lighten up and stop putting a downer on things. Sounds class to ride an ace race circuit with some interesting people to talk to on the way round, not only this you can spend an evening with your child riding around with them in relative safety off the roads with friends so you can all enjoy it.

Whats not to like?

crankrider
    Free Member

Whats not to like?

No gnar, 29ers, 27.5ers, beards, IT tech, orange 5’s, audis, 1×10 or southern England to talk about…..

loddrik
    Free Member

People need to lighten up and stop putting a downer on things.

It’s the STW forum. That’s how we roll… 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

you live in Liverpool so we al understand why you need to get away from people. Some of us live in nice areas though with friendly folk 😈

All onions innit?

One person thinks it’s great, I think it would be tedious. No harm done eh?

Yours, 26″ wheeled, stubbly, non-IT, Nissan driving, 3×9, Northerner

loddrik
    Free Member

you live in Liverpool so we al understand why you need to get away from people. Some of us live in nice areas though with friendly folk

We have to ride our stolen bikes somewhere!

takisawa2

Was indeed a laugh. Something different for an hour or so. Well worth a pound.
    That roller blader was shifting a bit… 😯

Great to see all the kids on Islabikes wobbling around on one side of the track while the Team Sky clad domestiques zipped past in full drafting mode on the other.

Anyhow, see if you can spot yourself on takisawa’s one handed video masterpiece…

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGb78xlzi0#[/video]

robdob
    Free Member

I would have loved to have done this, sounds like great fun.

Would like to do Brands Hatch , that is really not flat!!

Nice one takisawa – video evidence that it was actually even duller than I imagined it would be 😐 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Some mates of mine have just come back from a 24 hour race around the Nordschleife – compared to that Brands is a pancake!

takisawa2

I was tempted to go the wrong way at one point…to liven things up a little. 😆

pondo

Some mates of mine have just come back from a 24 hour race around the Nordschleife…

Already on my list for next year – was it good, did they say? Think Silverstone has one this weekend, too? I’ve got a wedding, so can’t make it – me and my brother tried very, very hard to work out a way to do both…

Sam

It doesn’t look to be quite so much fun as when I did a single seater experience there a few weeks back – that was amazing!

MoreCashThanDash

Should have known that the inhabitants of these parts who can’t see beyond the end of their own noses would try and put a downer on what was meant to be a celebration of all inclusive cycling….

Recognised a few folk on that youtube clip but not me, thankfully! I notice the clip doesn’t include the dip and the climb though 😀

Houns

You suffer with asthma taki??

rickt
    Free Member

I think it look good, more so for getting kiddies out on their bikes with their families.

Too many moaners on here.. saying that.. they will be in school at the moment… 🙂

cookeaa

So you logged onto a forum to tell people you don’t like people?

How else will we all know? unless you buy one of these:

(cross post from yesterdays grumpy old git thread)

takisawa2

You suffer with asthma taki??

I might have bloody known someone would pick up on my wheezing… 😆

richmtb

Fair play looks like fun and only a quid.

What’s not to like

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Jeeezuss… that looks sooooo unimaginably dull… wow. 😆

Thanks for the share I am actually laughing out loud in the orifice right now. Must stop.

Each to their own, I suppose… 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Ace.. What a great perspective to view an iconic race track from

scandal42
    Free Member

An excellent event that gives people the chance to see a real race circuit up close.

Riding your bike around the same corners as the great Barry Sheene, following in the racing line of Ayrton Senna, where he put in one of the finest performances in motor racing history and arguably the best 1st lap ever when overtaking 5 cars.

Say’s more about those who ridicule that they can’t see the goodness in such a decent event.

rickt
    Free Member

scandal42 – I completely agree.

Dont forget the 100mph + smash of Nigel Mansell’s in the BTCC

For group rides in slightly more interesting surroundings, why not try a British Heart Foundation charity ride?

Then with your winnings donations, go and treat yourself to a trackday 😉

FFS, I’m joking!

bails

I think stuff like this is great for showing that we actually have a lot of people who like riding bikes (a classic argument against providing any decent cycling infrastructure is “but we’re not like the Dutch, no one wants to ride bikes here”). They’re not even going anywhere and they’ve had to pay (admittedly only a quid) but they still turned up.

They closed the ring road here a few weeks ago and there were loads (thousands) of people on bikes riding around it. Loads then put their bikes back in their cars and drove home. Try to ride it when it’s open to motor traffic and you’d do well to get in one lap before you were wiped out.

D0NK

Sounds a good laugh, definitley consider something similar for when kids are older. Would quite like to have a go on the road bike around a closed well surfaced course. Do they do…erm….less mixed ability days? You couldn’t go hell for leather with all the family/pootlers out.

D0NK

I think stuff like this is great for showing that we actually have a lot of people who like riding bikes

yep 😀

Loads then put their bikes back in their cars and drove home

yep 🙁

fasthaggis

FFS, I’m joking!

Aye right.
    I will put your name down if Edinburgh gets attacked 😉

zilog6128

They do it every year (missed it for this year, was last month!) as a charity event put on by the local Lions club. I will probably do it next year, just to say I’ve done it, although I think it might get a bit dull after a couple of laps.

loddrik
    Free Member

Driving round the Nurburgring was one of the best things I’ve ever done, but riding a bike around it has all the appeal of putting lemon juice on a paper cut.

RustySpanner

I like the sound of that.

Backing, well, skidding, into corners, making motorbike noises?
    Be more fun on an ebike, mind.

oomidamon

I did this back in the summer & thought it was great. Fair play to Donington for putting it on.

Just to wind up the haters – there are Strava segments for the lap, too…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘The best value cycling event……EVER!’ is closed to new replies.