Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • That didn’t last long. RIP Saracen
  • prawny

Only got it last April, warranty request sent in already, got to suffer public transport for a bit though now 😥

Balls, how does Flickr work on here?!

simondbarnes

That definitely looks broken 🙁

teethgrinder

Looks like a sticker to me

superstu
    Free Member

Image not loading here?

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Try this site for picture hosting, it seems reliable.

http://postimages.org/

prawny

That’s better, but big though!

Definitely cracked, it’s from the drain hole at the back almost all the way round. Anyone had a warranty claim with Saracen before? They any good?

damascus
    Free Member

Which saracen is it? I’ve got an Avro. It’s been fantastic so far

Klunk
    Free Member

sticker

prawny

It’s a Tenet. Don’t think they make them anymore so I’m hoping they come up with something with a bit more clearance as a replacement.

I can’t see them turning down a warranty, don’t know how you damage it there without obvious damage.

hatter

If memory serves their Alu non-suspension frames have a lifetime warranty so you should be fine.

psycorp
    Free Member

Tenet 3? I’ve got he same if so.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Yikes- no doubt there, that’s proper broken. Poor drilling/cleanup around the hole during build I guess.

rOcKeTdOg

Saracen = sportline = madison who are usually pretty good done via a sportline dealer

prawny

Yeah the 3. It’s been a pretty good bike to be fair, done 13500 miles on it with no major problems until now.

I thought they had a lifetime warranty, glad someone else is in agreement. Just the waiting now, and the catching the train 😡

Daffy

13k miles since April?

tjagain

At that age although ( counts on fingers) its more than 6 months old its the retailer not the manufacturer who shuld be sorting you out. Thats their legal obligation.

prawny

13k miles since April?

Yeah last year, it’s 18 months old ish now.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for a replacement!

I never even thought to try a claim for my Saracen Pylon8, that cracked on the seat tube ~5 years after buying, but then I replaced the rigid fork with a Recon Race.

tjagain

Ah – 16 months – fair enough to let the manufacturer have a look at it but its still your contract is with the retailer

Daffy

That’s still a fair whack of mileage. Chapeau.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t see them turning down a warranty, don’t know how you damage it there without obvious damage.

You’ve clearly been pedalling too hard.

But yes that is a lot of miles, flippin eck.

CrispyCSW

My experience of Saracen warranty is excellent. Had a Myst DH bike which had a crack on a weld, took it into my LBS and had a replacement next day. Rode it for 3 plus years, giving it lots of abuse in the meanwhile, then spotted a hairline crack around the BB. Back to the LBS and got a shiny new frame with carbon rear triangle as they didn’t make the aluminium version anymore. Can’t fault them.

prawny

Had a reply from Winstanleys, they say just to send it back and they’ll replace which is good. They’ve been quite vague so far though, not said whether to send just the frame or the whole thing, and just given me a link to the returns form. I’d be fairly happy with that for a jersey, not so much with a whole bike.

I’ll be happy if they replace the whole bike though, that’d be nice, even though I’ve just put 2 new sets of brake pads on. £4 they cost!

I might try and convince the family into a trip to blackpool and we can pop it in on the way 😆

Edit – They’ve come back with more info now, cancel the lynch mob, they’re waiting for the nod from Sportline and they’ll arrange a collection for me.

Ur bik iz Sarcin innit

prawny

It was ar 😆

jonnyboi

13k miles since April?

Yeah last year, it’s 18 months old ish now.

jekkyl

commute by mtb?

prawny

I did think about it but it’s too far for me. It’s a 40 mile round trip all on the road and I’ve not got any slicks.

A mate had offered me his hybrid which I might take him up on for Thursday and Friday. I need to be early tomorrow and Wednesday so can’t risk the unknown.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Good experience here too

Genesis grapil snapped, replaced with Saracen kili flyer quickly.

Bushings bolt rounded off when servicing after 18 months and they sorted that too.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d call and ask them if they need the whole bike or not. Otherwise, sending the frame is good for both parties – they don’t have to strip and rebuild it or end up with a load of unwanted parts, they don’t have to send you new parts, and you get cheaper postage.

prawny

Saracen have apparently asked for the whole bike back, so I’m going to put it back to as standard as I can with what hasn’t already broken and they’re picking it up on thursday.

Hopefully that means I’ll get something shiny and new to replace it. But it probably means I’m going to have to fork out for new mudguards. Not the end of the world, one of the stays is only held together with thoughts and prayers anyway.

prawny

Just had the awful news that although they asked for the whole bike back, they’re just replacing the frame, so I’m hoping that the mech and that didn’t get too battered in transit.

Also apparantly they’ve managed to source a replacement Tenet frame, so will have to continue with tight clearances and no room for ice tyres.

Oh well, at least they’re doing exactly what they should do. I’ve just got to wait now, hopefully it wont take too long because riding my old Bizango to work is crippling me.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

13,000 miles in 18 months is a lot for an mtb! 😉

That’s 722 miles per month, or 166 per week.

I don’t get much more than that on the roadie, when I’m training for an event.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Good news that you are getting a replacement frame. 🙂

jonnyboi

if you were a real man you’d single speed the bizango

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    13,000 miles in 18 months is a lot for an mtb!

That’s 722 miles per month, or 166 per week.

I don’t get much more than that on the roadie, when I’m training for an event.

POSTED 21 MINUTES AGO #

It’s not an MTB it’s a road bike .

prawny

jonnyboi – Member
    if you were a real man you’d single speed the bizango

It’s only got one speed – slooooooooooow.

No way I could single speed it on the road, its far too heavy and un-aero, I didn’t realise until this week how unsuitable it would be as a commuter.

If it wasn’t notionally Mrs Ps bike I’d swap it for a cross bike.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I thought of you and your long commute when I saw the Raleigh Strada e-bike Black Friday deal, £1250 directly from Raleigh. I did post the deal at Bikeradar. 😉

prawny

Arse, I missed that.

Although it’s still over budget by about £1242 😆

jonnyboi

I ran one for a while, felt the same as you do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘That didn’t last long. RIP Saracen’ is closed to new replies.