Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Temporary bike for the alps, hire or buy?
  • mattjng
    Free Member

I am off to the Alps early in the summer with a friend who is bikeless at the moment. He does not get to ride much regularly anymore so does not want to own a bike so he was intending on hiring a bike for the week we are out there.

I was thinking about this today and wondering if he may be better off getting something off the classifieds, using it for the week and then selling it when he gets back, hopefully for a similar price.

I was thinking this might give him more of a choice in what he gets for the week, and may end up cheaper but can not make my mind up. Any thoughts?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was thinking about this today and wondering if he may be better off getting something off the classifieds, using it for the week and then selling it when he gets back, hopefully for a similar price.

If you can do that, that's the way to go IMO. I would. If you're canny you might even make a profit! – Split the bike up or buy here then flog on Ebay. 🙂

steveh

It'll cost best part of £100 per day for a bike in most places in the alpes so it'll be a lot cheaper to buy a second hand freeride/dh bike for 1200-1500 quid and sell it when you get back. You'll probably spend £100 on tyres, brake pads etc when you get back and then sell it for roughly what you paid as long as you got a decent deal.

jonzo
    Free Member

Don't hire, they're overpriced and absolutely paggered!
    I've got a Marin Quake with Deetraks for sale it the classifieds which I've take out twice and ridden in the Uk for 2 years.

simon_g

From what I've seen of hire prices, I'm very tempted to pick up something secondhand off here or SDH, freshen it up if needed then sell when I get back.

toys19
    Free Member

I'd say 2nd hand too, hire is 100-150 a day euros for anything semi decent..
    Dont forget to factor in the airline expense for carrying your bike when you do your sums.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Be careful if you buy one second hand before going.
    I did just that. Bought a Kona Coiler off ebay with the intention of selling it when I got back. I liked it so much I kept it. Still got it 3 years down the line.

SB

Olly
    Free Member

you could avoid one way air fairs by seeing if you could buy an ex hire one once your over there?

toys19
    Free Member

Olly – Member

you could avoid one way air fairs by seeing if you could buy an ex hire one once your over there?

For my personal slightly pessimistic outlook I can see a multitude of problems, there are just too many unknowns. If you buy out there and discover its knackered and hard to fix you can ram it down the throat of the shop you bought it off. Or you might arrive the week after the head the great morzine 2nd hand bike sale and all the bikes are gone. Also How are you going to sell it back again, or do you bring it home? The tactic to getting a good price when you buy or sell is to bide your time, you wont have much of that on tap on holiday.

As a do it myself kinda guy I would buy a couple of months before and make sure all was well and get it set up to suit me to prevent any last minute problems ruining my 365day longed for trip whilst fixing up an unfamiliar bike/waiting for parts/dealing with gallic nonchalance/trying to find a correct length stem to suit your odd shaped body..

Jerome
    Free Member

Depending on what you are riding, any bike would work.
    Had most riding the downhill trails on hardtails, just put on the biggest tyres we could get..
    J.

chakaping
    Free Member

If he buys a secondhand one he might even get the bug and decide to keep it.

Olly
    Free Member

v true toys19.

i know a few guys who are over in whistlooorrrr guiding, and they end up buying ex demo bikes v v cheap, but they are there all summer, so have the time, and are first in the queue when they come on sale.

nasher
    Free Member

It depends where you go

I have found places in ski resorts charge ridicilous amounts for a knackered bike

We hire new lapierres for €200 for the week and when you coniser hassle, extra aircosts, wear and tear new pads and tyres the real cost is less than a €100

jonzo
    Free Member

If you're gonna buy and fly, buy earlier rather than later so you give yourself plenty of time to get used to the bike as your skills will be tested!
    Likewise hiring a bike you've never ridden (good or bad condition) then immediately subjecting yourself to some of the most testing terrain you can imagine is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Temporary bike for the alps, hire or buy?’ is closed to new replies.