Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tell me about….2nd hand forks
  • magowen100
    Free Member

Help! Advice needed!
    I'm after forks for my Cotic Soul – now I know it'll take up to 140mm but my old bike (2001 GF Big Sur) had 80mm Manitou SX elastomer forks that I've never really liked, especially when putting the power down out of the saddle. So what I need advice on is:
    1. Given I found 80mm travel sapping on climbs am I going to 'get on' with longer forks? Or another way of putting it is; Have newer forks come along way in terms of technology and the ability to resist diving?
    2. I've got a budget of about £150, what forks should I look out for/avoid? For example I haven't tried Fox forks but it seems they need alot of TLC so they're a no no in my book (or tell me I'm wrong!) similarly Marzocchi's seem to have a bad rep for the last couple of years so am very hesitant about buying them 2nd hand.
    3. Is the extra weight of U-turn worth it? Do people actually use the feature or am I better off going for something like a 100mm Recon which (I believe) you can alter travel by adding/removing spacers?

Apologies if this is a bit confused but I've tried to research as best I can but get lost in the 351/302/tora/recon/reba/rev/318/TAT5/ETA/compression/rebound/floodgate/SL/Dual air/solo air mess.
    Cheers
    Matt

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

I've got a lovely set of Recons for sale if you're interested! Haha
    😉

Everyone has differing opinions when it comes to forks – some swear by Fox. Others think they are the Devil incarnate and should not be let anywhere near the front of a bike. Same with Marzocchi. Rockshox appear to be very good when it comes to overall satisfaction (value for money vs. performance vs. reliability). I'm not just saying that because I've got some for sale – check out reviews etc.

As for your Manitous – yes, forks have come on leaps and bounds since then!! The addition of lockouts, travel adjustment and things like that mean that you can dial them in so you don't get that energy sapping movement when climbing etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

magowen100 – Member

Manitou SX elastomer forks that I've never really liked, especially when putting the power down out of the saddle.

Learn to pedal better. Seriously. Modern forks are better but if you want them to work they will bob a bit.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

2007 or earlier marzocchi coil/oil forks are easily the most reliable of any fork. You only really need to service them once per year, if you can be bothered. They are fine without it though.Nost sure which are the good xc ones though

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    2007 or earlier marzocchi coil/oil forks are easily the most reliable of any fork. You only really need to service them once per year, if you can be bothered. They are fine without it though.Nost sure which are the good xc ones though

+1. Early MZ Bombers were by far and away the most reliable forks I've ever used. Service them, or don't. It doesn't matter. They'll still work.

tomhughes46

I have some old SX's! They were great (at the time).

Modern forks have come a long way (in my opinion), however for XC use a lock out is still pretty useful if you are more a 'stand up and grind' than 'sit and winch' kind of rider.

Of the people I know who have travel adjust (including me), they have played with the travel adjust for the first week, then left it at one setting (usually the longest).

All of this is of course a shameless plug for my 140mm lockout equipped forks: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-marz-am3-125-posted

magowen100
    Free Member

Zaskar your comments kinda confirm what I'd already thought i.e. RS are probably going to be my best bet (but I do like the look of Magura's). I'm possibly interested in the recons – do the SL have motion control? And do you know if they can be lengthened?
    Cynic-al – thanks for that pearl of wisdom its really helpful.
    David – cheers out of interest what are your thoughts on the All mountains? Have seen some AM 1/2/3's for sale 2006 onwards for £100 ish (maybe a bit less)?
    Thanks again for the replys.
    Matt

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Old bombers….mmm. Katie is running Z2 Atom 80's (from 2002?) on one of her bikes. I've serviced them twice i think but they didn't really need it either time. Was talking to someone yesterday who had a set of Z1's they'd never serviced and were still going strong.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP I am being serious. You see so many people pedalling so badly with their forks pogo-ing up and down…you may be one!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pre 2008 'zocchis are fine. they are very reliable – in part because they use an open bath design ( mainly) which means they are far better lubricated than many forks and the seals are better. Downside is the damping can be a little crude and they are a bit heavier. I have bought two sets secondhand and both are fine.

Personally I would avoid fox as the way they are lubed means they are very sensitive to the type of treatment they have had.

I have also bought coil pikes secondhand and they were fine as well.

Rockshox are Ok – but as on the toays therd the multitude of set up options confuses folk badly.

I (obviously) have no issue buying forks secondhand off here – but either collect in person or check out the seller to be sure.

Pre 2008 zochis for the win MX pros?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've some magura menja's, yes they bob a little and the damping is a little basic (rebound adjustment only and a lockout).

But they are sooooooooo plush!

£180 posted (got some enduro fork seals for them going spare for £20 if anyone wants them).

Olly
    Free Member

reliable forks for a soul.

you need:

2004 or 2005 Marzocchi MX Comps in 120mm.

MX comps are awesome.
    once they get warmed up, and the oil gets sloshed around, they are as plush as any other fork in my opinion, and they NEVER need servicing.

mine are…. 6 to 7 years old. (105mm versions)
    never done anything to them, other than put air in them, and lower the oil levels a little to create a more linear spring curve at the cost of top end sensitivity.

if your more inclined to keep ontop of service intervals, i realy like my 2009 revelations. dual air with U turn. 100-130mm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about….2nd hand forks’ is closed to new replies.