Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tell me about your 1×9 set ups
  • benkitcher
    Free Member

Morning all,

Could those of you who have tried or run a 1×9 set up give me their opinion on the chain device they use? I really want to hear about the following;

Make/model
    Noise
    Drag
    Ease of fitment/ setup

Could you alos let me know what bike and rear mech you use? A pic or two is always nice also if you have one to hand.

Cheers

Ben

GlennG
    Free Member

MRP X.1
    none
    very little
    piece of p1ss

All on a new Soul with an SLX mech, set up was simple but had to do a couple of adjustments after first ride, there is a very small amount of rubbing in top gear and its suprisingly silent, lot of money for a small bit of white plastic and an alu bracket, works well though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

E13 LG1
    A little noise cos the chain rubs on the bottom guide slightly in top & bottom gears
    Not really any drag
    Quite easy to fit, probably not setup 100% but i cant be arsed faffing anymore

On a cotic Bfe, iscg05 mounts, sram x7 short cage mech.

Have also used

E13 SRS but it dropped my chain a few times so i swapped the parts to this
    Blackspire, this was shite
    MRP – good but not adjustable

slowjo
    Free Member

MRP +1

willej

I've been 1×9 since 2005, first on a 456 and then a Sanderson Breath.
    I use an N-Gear Jump Stop on the inside and a bash ring on the outside. Medium cage XT rear mech, chain as short as possible. No noise, no drag, extremely simple setup.
    Here's a couple of pics of the setup on my old 456:

Clink

Just be aware of frame type. I've run 1×9 in past on hardtails with n-gear jump-stop and bashring with absolutely no problems. Just tried to build my new full sus 1×9 and discovered that it will only work with bb mounted chain devices (like the MRP).

I now have a Pauls chainkeeper and N-gear jump-stop for sale, both 35mm. 😳

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Apologies for the hijack – how much are you looking for on the chainkeeper clink ?

ski
    Free Member

29er Inbred

33t front ring
    Rohloff Chain Guide CC
    9 spd XT Shadow Rear mech (long cage) & shifer
    Shimano XT Cassette 11-34
    SRAM pc951 chain

Noise – none
    Drag – no
    Ease of fitment/ setup – Easy, Rohloff easy to adjust and setup.

No problems, fit and forget.

flange
    Free Member

Ben you bell

I've got that XCX for sale that'd fit L'Orange a treat.

Your brother

Clink

how much are you looking for on the chainkeeper clink ?

At work – can't remember how much they are. Can I mail you tonight?

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Im running a middleburn uno single speed ring (not the 9speed on) without a mech or chain device, Done four rides now and only lost the chain once which was before I shortened it and I was down shifting rapidly on a rockey decent.

Have to say im impressed having previously used a standard middle ring and a mech.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Clink – Member

how much are you looking for on the chainkeeper clink ?

At work – can't remember how much they are. Can I mail you tonight?

Cheers Clink – parkedtigerATyahooDOTcom

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Appologies for the hyjack aswell

Clink – YGM re the Ngear jump stop

Rickos
    Free Member

An old MRP thingy with rollers. Got my local machine chap to make the slots longer so I could run it down to a 32 tooth ring. FSA bashguard.

No noise really.

A bit draggy, especially when clarted with mud.

A doddle to set up. It's a BB mount jobbie.

Kona Howler on a X9 short cage rear mech. Found out that a short cage won't work on a cassette bigger than 32 though, so no ultimate climbing gear for me, 32:32 it has to be.

Ideally I'd like a Gamut or a Straitline, but this one works OK for now, so I can't justify it yet.

thomthumb
    Free Member

inbred: dmr chaincage, lots of noise, some drag, lots of jamming. dmr chaincage needs to be modified (read hacked up) to work with a 32T ring.

inbred mkII: n-gear & bashring, no noise, no drag – only dropped once and that was throwing it over a fence.

dmr sidekick: half a dmr chaincage(n-gear style) and a bashring, no noise, drag only in granny gear. didn't drop it. chaincage was higher due to a 36T ring.

all used with a second hand long cage deore mech – thats well old and abused.

n gear and bashring definately the best combo imo

dans160
    Free Member

Gamut P20
    Some noise but only noticeable when pootling along
    No drag
    Easy enough but the bash guard needed some fettling to fit my xtr (m970) cranks.

Mackem

Never used one, Get an unramped, steel Chainring and there's a good chance you'll be fine.

DT78
    Free Member

Tried the mrp for 4/5 rides with short cage mech and shortened chain, was fine but when hitting rough sections fast I occasionally lost the chain (hardtail)

In the end I went back to a triple set up as whilst 1×9 was fine round my local runs I found it too limiting when I went to areas with 'proper' hills.

timbercombe
    Free Member

E13 SRS+ ISCG '05 with BB Adaptor
    Very little noise or drag
    Really easy to fit, fiddled with bb spacers and grinded off the granny tabs and was away.
    X0 SS Rear mech, Cove Stiffee '04ish

rootes1

n-gear + bash – no noise or drag, simples to fix

Frizzer
    Free Member

'10 Evil Sovereign
    Dark Cycles Bash
    RaceFace Atlas crankset with just the 32 tooth ring
    N-Gear Jumpstop

XT rear mech with chain as short as possible.

No noise and faff free.

spock
    Free Member

i used 1×9 for about 6 months, 32:11-34, ive just put the granny ring back on, 1×9 is fine for trail centres but i feel the need for a granny on natural routes which make up most of my riding.

For 1×9 i used deore chainring sram 970 cassete and chain with the front mech left on with the limit screws moved and a long cage lx mech, worked fine.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your 1×9 set ups’ is closed to new replies.