Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tell me about the Marin & Penmachno
  • jimmy

Going on a stag do next weekend and I’ve been ask to ‘guide’ the biking day around some Welsh trails near Betwys Coed.

Now, I’ve never done the full Marin trail (only a small section actually) and I think I’ve done Penmachno, but a few years ago so can’t remember it.

My concern is for the fitness of the group which, quite frankly, isn’t going to be too high. Having said that, I don’t think there are any serious beefers and most go to the gym or play a bit of sport. And have a sense of adventure.

So what I’m after is something comparable to the red trail at GT – certainly no harder in terms of fitness or technicality. A blue run equivalent might be better but it would be good to have a bit of interesting to it.

I think Penmachno’s shorter, but Marin might be more easily bail-outable to BC, right? Any reccomendation from the 2? And its not about a decent trail for the experienced rider so please remember the target audience…

flyingmonkeycorps

Marin is VERY fireroady, but there’s some fun singletrack. You can always session the last descent? Penmachno is pedally (I hate it when I’m knackered, love it when I’m not) but much more singletrack, especially if you do both loops.

Coed y Brenin too far?

jimmy

Both loops of Penmachno? Is there an option to do just one short loop?

How far is Coed y B? Baring in mind we’re stating in Llandudno

flyingmonkeycorps

Yep, part way round Penmachno you get the option to either continue on loop 1 or do loop 2 as well and join back onto loop 1 further down the fireroad. It’s a good “escape route” kinda thing.

Coed y Brenin is what, maybe 45 minutes from Betws y Coed? I rate it over the Marin certainly, it’s a lot different to Penmachno with more trail choice and a nice cafe.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Found some of the singletrack at CYB fairly badly eroded on my last visit in March compared to when I was there in December. Especially the MBR trail.
    Penmachno will be quiter than Marin at a weekend!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Might see you on the Marin/Penmachno…I trust the stag will be suitably attired?

loddrik
    Free Member

If fitness may be an issue then cyb may not be the best option unless you do the tawr trail, mbr beast and dragons back have longer climbs than marin or penmachno

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Penmachno is simply a ball ache if your fitness level is low – but probably the better bet if its wet, the Marin can get very boggy in places.. but as suggested CyB has all the choices and its the only one with a trail centre.. Although there is a nice cafe near the bridge as you come back into Betsy when you finish the Marin..

carlos
    Free Member

Rode them both on the same Saturday with jay week before last, loved them both as it had been so long since the last visit, personally I’d choose Penmachno though.

My 2p, as already said you have the choice of a shorter or longer route and at one point a decision can be made by the group as to which you go for.

Carl

MikeWW
    Free Member

I really like Penmachno but Marin is an easier ride whilst still being a lof of fun.You also have a number of short cuts if you need them

jaycmx1
    Free Member

last saturday we did all of penmachno in the morning then did the marin after dinner.penmachno is ace!,the marin is FIRE ROAD!!!! but the finish is really good.still a really good day

dyls

CYB is more technical than the Marin & Penmachno. It’s also about 1hr:15min away from Llandudno.

Fitness wise Penmachno Loop 1 is roughly equivalent to the Marin (calories burned). Penmachno loop 2 is quite flat and pedally. Also for some reason Penmachno seems to hold water on the track longer than the Marin – so if it’s been raining recently you’ll get a proper soaking at Penmachno whereas the Marin drains better. (But getting wet and muddy is part of biking!)

I’d go for the Marin, ok the climbs are mostly forestry roads but there are plenty of single tracks with a very good last descent to the car park.

If they have some experience have a stab at Penmachno Loop 1, probably a little bit more technical then the Marin but nonetheless a great blast.

zokes
    Free Member

Marin boggy in places? WHERE??? Not seen it boggy in 6 years of riding it.

Why you would want to go to CyB after the past three years of the FC ruining it is anyone’s guess. Do Penmachno and be happy instead!

Ironmaiden
    Free Member

I’d go for Marin. Simply because, as stated before, the climbs are mainly fireroad so if anyone’s really shattered they can get off and push / lie down on the floor etc etc without getting in the way.

Also as has been previously mentioned, it’s a bit of an easier bailout if necessary.

I’m sure you will have plenty of fun watching them all crash! 🙂

jimthesaint

Penmachno can be intimidating for ‘first-timers’. The singletrack in places is just that, there is only enough width to the trail for a tyre. Also the wooden bits on loop 2 are really slippy if it’s wet.

The Marin is generally a wider trail and is technically easier for first-timers but the distance and climbs can be a bit much if your not in great shape or your suffering with a hangover.

Personally if was taking a group of blokes on a stag do out on bikes I’d drive an extra 30mins and go to Llandegla. It’s not technical at all (but fun for first-timers) and if somebody is not coping they can stay in the cafe until you’ve finished.

Driller
    Free Member

The Marin is classic ‘Fire-Road up and singletrack down’, good for relative novices, and having ridden it recently after not going there for ages I think it’s brilliant and the standard of the DH bits are as good as anywhere.

I definitely wouldn’t agree with the poster who said it gets boggy in the wet. Most of the singletrack is hardpack and holds up really well in wet conditions.

Ride it, yes it’s not a new trail, but you won’t be disappointed, unless you’re one of the weird people who like climbing better than going down.

I’d say ride the Marin on Saturday, have tea and cakes in Betws then ride Penmachno on Sunday, you’ll know after Saturday who might struggle and who might not. Penmachno isn’t a massive undertaking by any means.

mAx_hEadSet

I’d think some of the climbs would cause a few of your mates to spit out feathers if they are done after a night on the town, You see a lot of enthusiastic mountain bikers , possibly from Holland or Norfolk, if your mates are not mountain bikers of any conviction I would avoid taking advice of the trail gods, if its wet the rock sections are easy to hurt yourself on if you are not used to riding them. I agree with Jimmy the Saint and suggest you nip down to Llandegla where the only real climb is not steep and once at the top those with no fitness could have a good ride down the blue and feel like they have mountain biked if you dont mind a few short sharp climbs along the way do the red. You can eat before or after the ride and get good coffee.

You can get there drive back east along the A55 to St Asaph then straight down the A525 passes the entrance to Llandegla about 50 minutes to an hour, to avoid the traffic at St Asaph turn off in Bodelwyddan and cross the bridge or next turn after the marble church passing through the business park, both routes will take you into St Asaph, journey about 50 minutes to an hour

jimmy

Thanks everyone. I’m going to put it to them in the pub on Friday and see what they wanna do. I’m erring on the side of the Marin, but like the loops set up of Penmachno. Is Penmachno the one with a long long singletrack descent at the end? I relaise thats not very descriptive but thats what sticks in my mind from memory.

zokes
    Free Member

Both of them have that, I think it’s obligatory for trail centres…

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Ive been twice – not my local ride but on both occassions encountered…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm26IWkKTBY&feature=related

end bit of this video…

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’d say Llandegla given the company. Cafe/Shop is a pleasent and cool base. The main climb gentle if long. And the black runs are safe enough if they show a bit of respect to the trail.

Marin has some of the best sections I’ve ever ridden but completely ruined by mile after mile of fireroad both up and down.

Can’t comment on Penmachno but some riding buddies who went said it was great but fairly tough compared to a lot of stuff up there.

CYB is great but again, I wouldn’t fancy taking relative novices up there – some of the armoured stepped sections up there gave my fairly novice mate a torrid time…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the Marin & Penmachno’ is closed to new replies.