Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about living and working in Oslo / Vienna?
  • floki
    Free Member

Ok, possibility of moving overseas to work.
    Two options are – Oslo or Vienna.
    My limited experience of Norway says its so cripplingly expensive that I couldn’t buy a beer.
    Vienna – I haven’t got a scooby about.
    So what is the collective wisdom from you all?
    Thanks.

CaptainSlow

I like Oslo but was staying in a hotel and had meals etc expensed. Had to buy my own beer and yes it is more expensive, but I don’t recall it being more than Sweden and maybe also Denmark. You could perhaps drink a little less?

Lovely city, nice people, I’d happily work there again. I wouldn’t live there but that is because I like it here…

If your long term living there, learn the lingo. There’s a nice young lady giving lessons on youtoob iirc.

Flaperon

Vienna – beautiful city, friendly people, expensive.
    Oslo – friendly people, very expensive, scenic (if you like fjords).

WackoAK
    Free Member

Not been to Oslo but have a mate who works in Vienna. Amazing city, regularly top or near the top in all the best cities to live surveys. Transport is ace – large underground system and extensive tram network. Loads of cycling lanes also.

Only negative my mate comments on is the mildly right wing/ racist attitudes although never noticed it myself.

MrGrim

Have you not heard of the trolls?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEo7H9tqSM[/video]

br
    Free Member

Only negative my mate comments on is the mildly right wing/ racist attitudes although never noticed it myself.

Yep, only place I’ve worked where I was asked whether the UK had a ‘Jewish Problem’…

Taxes are higher in Norway, but so are the benefits – although its only when you have a family you’ll really gain. I’ve spent a fair time in Oslo, good standard of living and good work/life balance, just avoid the beers and you’ll be fine.

Squidlord
    Free Member

racist attitudes

I have to agree with this. Lot of casual racism there. It’s a bit insular.

Mackem

Dunno about Oslo, but Vienna is great. I lived there for a year.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Norweign rates of pay match the tax/cost of living though and the services there make the uk look like a third rate country.
    House prices are surprisingly low for what you get.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about living and working in Oslo / Vienna?’ is closed to new replies.