Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tell me about Jack Russell terriers
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Dog juggernaut is gathering momentum, i want an English Bull but the wife won’t have any of it. Needs to be smaller, always liked jacks, we have kids and cats, and id like to be able to take it out riding. Do i need to look elsewhere?

supercyril
    Free Member

We have a rescue one. With the kids she is brilliant, never once nipped even though she gets some over enthusiastic cuddles from my 5 year old. I have never tried to take her for a ride though as I think she would do a runner. Overall its night and day compared to having 2 dobermans!

carbon337
    Free Member

It will probably do off down a hole. Although my inlaws JRT is dead soft and lazy but we think there is staffy in him. He has the best nature with kids i have seen again probably a staffy trait.

zippykona

Get a wire hair one ,leave his tail alone and post a picture.
    They will run and run and run. Ours had a heart of gold and never nipped anyone.

theloner
    Free Member

Never had one but my ex-neighbour had 4. They slept on her bed and yapped 24/7. Athletic little buggers thye were too, they would leap a 5′ wall into my garden and wonder into my house for a visit…

cinnamon_girl

Ghastly creatures!

Get a Border Terrier.

martymac

my MIL has one, lovely wee thing it is, but it has growled at the kids a couple of times although its never nipped anyone.

tron
    Free Member

They need a lot of exercise, are often a total pain in the neck, and like killing things.

mooman
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Ghastly creatures!

Get a Border Terrier.

Got to agree.

We had jack russels many years ago. They are more yappy than the border terriers .. some can also be snappy too.
    Jack russels come in an enormous different variety of shapes and sizes too. So unless you see both pareants, you wont really know what it ll turn out like.

Woody
    Free Member

That’s the key – you don’t know what their temperament is going to be like. How much of that is down to the owner is debatable but there are some right snappy little buggers round my way.

Two of them ran 50 yards to have a go at one of my labs (standing beside me) even though he had done nothing but growl and chase them off for the first two attacks. The third time he’d had enough and sorted them both out. The stupid owner then tried to blame my dog, which says it all about some owners really.

I would be very wary of them around kids unless you know their history/parents as ^^

_tom_
    Free Member

Cute but annoying.

Pigface
    Free Member

Dont get the love for Border Terriers the few I have met have been really snappy yappy things. One of them was the laziest dog ever as her owner once observed she is to lazy to conceive.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

Temperament varies greatly and must have little to do with owners as we have two who are both completely different, one is highly intelligent but swarthy and mardy with it, the other is thick as anything but very excitable and friendly, both require a ton of exercise, ours get about 5-7 miles a day and if they get any less they’ll find a way to piss you off, normally by destroying something you care about.

Overall though they’re brilliant, such strong personalities compared to many other dogs

lazybike
    Free Member

I’ve got one, he’s only 4 mths old so still early days for him, but so far so good, we’ve got 4 kids from 6 to 16 and he’s been ok with them, he does the puppy mouthing thing, but hasn’t bitten, he had a spell of jumping up but thats getting better, he’s great off the lead and has good recall, very rarely barks, he’s always slept in a puppy crate, took a week for him to settle but he’s ok now, he’s a bit young for long rides but he’ll do an hour easy, if he gets tired I’ll put him in the rucksack, this is our 1st jrt, as I never liked em, I wanted a border! oh, and he’s been good with all the dogs and wildlife that he’s met, try to get a look at the parents though as they do seem to come in different sizes.

z1ppy

Pigface – Member
    Dont get the love for Border Terriers the few I have met have been really snappy yappy things

+1

We have friends who got BT brothers, they had to get rid of one (re-home) as they were going to kill each other.. seriously kill each other (not playing, chunks torn off).
    Couple of them are walked in our local park, the owners have given up letting off the lead, as they just attack everything else.

Obviously not a representation of the whole Border Terrier breed, but I wouldn’t have one or actually any small yappy dog TBH.

deviant
    Free Member

Current next door neighbour has an English Bull terrier and a previous employer had one too ….dont like them myself, they get much bigger than people realise and both got all fat and just waddled about once their first few years had passed.

I’ve got Jack Russells, great dogs….bonkers personalities, never a dull moment, make me laugh every time they try and stand their ground against dogs several times their size….as other have said; they are fond of digging the odd hole, ours have killed pigeons, rabbits and chickens….they get on great with the cat (seriously) and the yappiness thing is a plus point for me…several people i know have Labradors and they have to be the most boring, pointless dog around….you may as well just buy a stuffed toy instead of a Lab whereas having a Jack Russell around is like having another person in the house!

takisawa2

I had one from a resue place once. She would attack anything. She’d been treated very badly & calmed down to a lovely pet with lots of TLC.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

jeez i could write an essay on this, wifes jack russell is the bane of my life, but two things will suffice…

big dog little body.

everytime you see another jack russell owner you automatically nod and say ‘terriers, they’re all the same!’.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

She would attack anything.

as above; terriers, they’re all the same!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Jack Russell terriers’ is closed to new replies.