Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tell me about GPS
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I really know nothing about them.
    The only one I’ve peeked at just had an arrow that you sort of followed it was pretty hopeless.
    I’m thinking about one for audax. What I want to know is;
    How easy are they to read on the hoof.
    How easy to program
    Can a numpty download a provided route easilly
    Will batteries see me though more than 24 hours of constant riding
    And what sort of price for about four times a year maximum useage.

geoffj

The Garmin Edge 800, is probably the best option except for the battery life issue.

For that sort of hammer, you’ll need either an extended battery/charger or something that will take AAs.

Something like a Garmin Dakota with MapSource mapping (not OS for those sort of distances) would probably fit the bill.

TheBrick
    Free Member

been looking into this too recently. Garmin Etrex series seem, like the best option, the Edge series have a load of unnecessary bullshit unless you are using it for training. i.e. cadence heart rate e.t.c.

nickjb
    Free Member

GPS enabled mobile phone is my favourite option. It usually works out cheaper unless you go for a top of the range phone You can browse for and download routes and maps straight on the device via wifi or over the network. Battery life is an issue on most although mine will easily do an all day (8hr) ride. You can get external batteries if you need 24 hours.

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah I have a HTC HD2. that can tell me were I am with maps, but I don’t think? it can give me live route finding.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with windows phones but you should be able to upload maps and routes to follow. Not quite sure what you mean by ‘live route finding’ but usually you upload a route as a .gpx file which will show as a line, they then overlay your current position. You can also get turn by turn satnav while on the road just like in a car.

neninja
    Free Member

A Satmap with the lithium battery pack will easily do 24 hours – with the energy saving features switched on it will do up to 50 hours.

Easy to read OS mapping

oldgit
    Free Member

You can also get turn by turn satnav while on the road just like in a car.

That’s what I meant.
    So far I’ve just used what I think is google maps. I think I need to do some delving.

geoffj

For road riding. Something like CoPilot Live for android would be good.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m sure there will be something out there for the HD2 or you might be better off buying a Nokia 5800 for £50 or so from ebay for use when riding. Turn by turn on-road sat nav is free and you download the maps (free on wifi) so don’t need a data connection. Just temporarily stick your sim in it and keep the HD2 for everyday use. Its got some good OS map options too. I’m a fan of Viewranger, you pay for it but its good.

aP
    Free Member

I friend who’s somewhat of a randonneur was very keen on his Dakota last summer as it allowed him to ride for long periods without having to worry about power running out as it takes standard replaceable batteries. He’s winding up currently for his 5th PBP, so might have been around the block a couple of times.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Generally, you do two things with GPS:

Logging. It records a plot of your ride and you can review this overlaid on maps on your PC. I think the simplest solution is to download Endomondo sports tracker software onto any smart-phone. Turn it on and sling the phone in your rucksack and go for a ride. When you get home, it’s already on the website to review – simples

Navigation. You plan a route by plotting it over trails on maps, on your PC, then upload the plot to a handheld. Before you set off, you pick the uploaded route and press Go. It displays a line/arrow to follow showing all the turns. The nice ones show a basic map underneath. Obviously, the handheld needs to be mounted on the handlebar where you can see it while riding. Smart-phones can do this, but are they rugged enough to survive a crash? So most folks buy a dedicated unit, like a Garmin.

The logging is useful for every ride. The navigation is only useful when riding in strange places because it saves wasting time missing or taking wrong turns.

Dogsby

Geoffi,

Does the Garmin 800 come with a wordwide basemap? I was thinking about getting the one with the UK mapping but I also want to use it in Europe and wondered if it had the maps already loaded.

Cheers

Dogsby

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about GPS’ is closed to new replies.