Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • tell me about fox forks,which one for xc riding?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

32's, 36',talas, vanillas…whatsit all about? which is the classic most popular all round xc fork that they have made?
    have they got progressively better each year or have they remained unchanged for a number of years cos there just so good anyway?
    anyone think there not worth the extra investment?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I have 32 TALAS and a 32 Vanilla 140

32 and 36 are the stanchion diameters, 32 will suffice for XC duties (some manufacturers, including older SIDs went to 28mm stanchion, but they are a bit noodly, SIDs are now 32)

so, 32 either Vanilla (coil spring), Float (air spring, a little lighter) or TALAS (adjustable travel, air sprung) depending on the frame your matching with and your weight weenie requirements. I really like the 140 Vanillas but for adjustable travel forks, you'll struggle to beat TALAS (not saying you can't … Revs are good for example)

Are they worth MSRP? Well, I wouldn't pay 700 quid for a fork but then you don't need to as online discounting is very keen, I got my TALAS for half price and the vanilla came with the bike

Downsides; some folks complain of early stanchion wear, I haven't experienced this. Some other folks complain that FOX ask you to clean and oil the top seals every 15 hours of riding, but they never seem to mention that RS require seal lubrication *every ride* on their maintenance schedule so 6 and half a dozen to me.

I like 'em but if I could get the equivalent RS for cheaper I wouldn't fret the decision (I have 2 SID teams aswell …. SUPERB XC fork)

odannyboy
    Free Member

ive got reba race and love em.just intrigued by so many who love the foxxies!

Eggbox
    Free Member

F100s or F120s I would say for general XC stuff. The price difference between FOX and RS is not so big nowadays so that may not be relevant. However, having both REBAs and F100s I have observed that it can be difficult to get all of the travel out of the F100 unless they are run with lots of sag.

I would probably go for a dual air RS with floodgate rather than FOX to be honest.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘tell me about fox forks,which one for xc riding?’ is closed to new replies.