Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tel Aviv
  • twixhunter
    Free Member

It’s along shot but doesn anyone have experience of living in Tel Aviv? A job has come up that I might be eligible for but just obviously a bit concerned about the usual stuff.

Thanks

legend
    Free Member

just obviously a bit concerned about the usual stuff.

How close your local trails, pub and Gregs are?

twixhunter
    Free Member

How close your local trails, pub and Gregs are?

Nothing else matters. 8)

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP there are some posters here who live in Israel – @nim for one. If you send me an email I can forward some info based on people I know who have experience of living there

STW user nim

DrJ

Kosher sausage rolls?

project
    Free Member

Been there on holiday great freindly place nearly everyone speaks english quite well, very hot, lots of great cycling, and big hill and rocks, just be aware all the teenagers go in the army or national service , so you get on a bus and they all have rifles with them and all loaded it appears, always avoid sitting near one who has a rifle accross his knees we where told just incase they forget to put the safety on and the bus hits a sped bump, lots of security, expect to be searched or go through metal detectors when you enter any bus station or public building, also expect security staff to look through you as if they have ex ray specs on, and then suddenly smile and wish you a nice day.

Definately go and have a look round first

badnewz
    Free Member

Great place to visit…you would need Hebrew if you were to live out there a long time.

nim

If I was me 20 yrs ago, defo. Great city life, on the beach. Israeli’s get getting used to if you’re not from an Israeli background. The people who don’t speak some English are in the minority. Hebrew isn’t the hardest language to get the basics of (apart from Masculine/Feminine). Folk who live there are also concerned about the ususal stuff but life goes on and if you grab it by the horns, Tel Aviv is a great place to be. Good luck!

globalti
    Free Member

What’s the beer like? I can tolerate anything except crap beer.

isto
    Free Member

I have never lived in there but have spent a fair bit of time out there visiting my wife’s family and travelling all over. Tel-Aviv is a lovely city with nice beaches and some decent surf if you are up for a go. As mentioned above there are security checks going into shopping malls and public buildings. Aside from that as nim has stated it will take some getting used to some of the locals…..especially if you are considering driving in Tel-Aviv 😯

I would recommend a trip down to the Negev area if you do fancy a bit of biking. It’s really taken off down there and I was able to get a decent bike and a guide (which you will need) for a good price.

isto
    Free Member

What’s the beer like? I can tolerate anything except crap beer.

Like everywhere else there are more and more micro-breweries popping up providing decent beer. There is a shop in Jaffa Port which has a good supply of locally brewed beer if you are in Tel Aviv.

llama

Went for work and wasn’t that keen. Can’t quite put my finger on why. It’s not really my sort of city (too new), and apart from the people at work I found the rest of the people I met a bit stand offish. Beach was nice. Beer is shyte and expensive. IME not speaking Hebrew was not more of a problem than anywhere else.

Definately go and have a look round first

+1

badnewz
    Free Member

Although many young Israelis can speak English, in a work context they tend to speak to their coworkers in Hebrew. Most Israeli companies will not employ someone who doesn’t speak Hebrew. More info here.
    It could be different if it is a multinational company I suppose, which asks all employees to speak English. But my experience of working with Israelis is that their English isn’t that great so it would be better if you had Hebrew.
    I work closely with a company in Tel Aviv and love to visit.
    The cost of living relative to salaries is very high, but the economy is very impressive and I think it is only a matter of time until Tel Aviv creates something very big along the lines of a Google or Facebook.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Are thinking of taking your Bird ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tel Aviv’ is closed to new replies.