Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Technical descents – North Lakes
  • peterd
    Free Member

Lakes experts, some helpful pointers on the following would be much appreciated, mainly trying to make loops:

1) Is Gasgale Gill descent worth it?
    2) Which is the climb of preference for Whitless?
    3) Rigg Beck; is it worth while or better to go for glory heading East of Causey Pike (have run, hopefully walk/bike this weekend).
    4) What is the best route off Grisdale; Hobcarton End (and then NW or NE?), Sleet How, or down to Coledale Hause and then W as above or East into Coledale?
    5) I remember earlier in the year some talk of East off Dale Head – worth the carry or not?

… and finally anyone tried to ride the “third descent” from Carl Side? Start is similar or if not steeper than the drop off Skiddaw, sort of a huge scary shale half-pipe, but you are rewarded with a sweet technical single track out of the valley.

freeridenick
    Free Member

the third descent, do yo mean slades beck?

peterd
    Free Member

Thats the one.

freeridenick
    Free Member

nice, will have to try that one. tough to beat Ullock pike though..

leebaxter
    Free Member

The descent east off Dale head is the best in the lakes in my opinion. but u need the skillz, coz it is scary tech. ( i aint made it down yet with out dabbin yet). remember it is a footpath aswell!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

1) Is Gasgale Gill descent worth it?
    Yep – not technical, just fun. Does leave you a bit out on a limb though in terms of joining up with anything else.
    2) Which is the climb of preference for Whitless?
    Depends where you start from – from Braithwaite, the fastest option is by Force Crag and left at Coledale Hause.
    3) Rigg Beck; is it worth while or better to go for glory heading East of Causey Pike (have run, hopefully walk/bike this weekend).
    Both directions are good, heading towards Buttermere is the longer option (not really Rigg Beck that side but it tends to be refered to as such).
    4) What is the best route off Grisdale; Hobcarton End (and then NW or NE?), Sleet How, or down to Coledale Hause and then W as above or East into Coledale?
    Hobcarton is the most fun and drops you back onto the red. Dropping down to Coledale Hause is okay, better if you’re then heading up to Grassmoor, Whiteless, or Crag Hill…the run down to Force Crag mine is nothing special.
    5) I remember earlier in the year some talk of East off Dale Head – worth the carry or not?
    It’s okay but it depends where you go next – Rigg Head Quarry gives you a second descent and takes you down to the graveyard behind Castle Crag. If you’re going to bother with the carry, Hindscarth or Robinson are better descents.
    I’d avoid most of the above before about three in the afternoon though – very popular with walkers.

peterd
    Free Member

Parkedtiger, thanks for the beta.

On Rigg Beck do you normally go up one side and then down the other (salt beck) then?

On Dale Head, that route sounds familar from posts earlier in the year, and presumably you are referring to N of Robinson / Hindscarth. Have run both and remember thinking one was good and one less so (although can’t remember which way round!).

Noted on the timing, plan to do a long weekend (up tonight) to help situation…

leebaxter
    Free Member

Dale Head down to dalehead tarn then down miners crag. Forget all others

parkedtiger
    Free Member

A quick Rigg Beck blast is usually something like Braithwaite, up to Barrow Door, right and up between Outerside and Causey, and straight across the col at the top to start the descent – the only sticky point is a left about 200m after the col…can be tricky to pick up if you don’t know it’s there. That eventually brings you out at the purple house (as was) on the Newlands road. Back into Keswick and that’s about a 90 minutes ride (approx). One alternative when you hit the road, take a right over the small bridge, then an immediate left – head across the valley up towards Little Town and there’s a bridleway heads up to Hause Gate (between Catbells and Maiden Moor). The drop down the otherside towards Manesty is a fantastic steppy technical descent, brings you out by Derwent.

Hindscarth’s got fewer carries than Robinson on the way down if that helps 🙂

Not sure how things will be with the weather – I’ve been in bed all week with a virus so have been a bit out of it, but it’s been raining really heavily by all accounts.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

“the run down to Force Crag mine is nothing special.”

I really like that one! The top section is one Scandinavian flick after another, then it gets pretty fast and rocky. I also like the run off Grisedale Pike to get there.

There’s a few listed on this thread I need to try out though.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Sorry Paul ! I guess that highlights the fact that we’re so lucky to have so many choices, I’m maybe being too picky !

karnali
    Free Member

parked tiger is that quick blast route descent from the col picking up the footpath to rigg beck?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Yep.

boxelder

Out yesterday around Eskdale – had forgotten how good the descent from Iron pike was. Also the BW that goes over from Mitredale down to Boot – better than the normal descent from Burnmoor.

peterd
    Free Member

Monday’s “quick blast” was not as planned…

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Bad timing (or good timing depending on your love of snow 😕 ) Where did you get to in the end peterd ?

peterd
    Free Member

Managed 4) and 5) on above list, plus a heap of other stuff. 4) is very good (thanks!), North from Dalehead Tarn is a handful.

Stockley Bridge (Sprinkling / Styhead Tarns) is still one of my favourites and Watendlath is still up there as well.

Hill in photo is Outerside, had to abort and go down Barrow Door – however this was fun in a speedway stylee.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Barrow is brilliant! I would kill myself on it in the snow though I suspect!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

The snow didn’t stick around very long – we did Barrow Door / Rigg Beck last night and it was pretty clear; a few patches here and there, and on the summit of Catbells too. Glad you enjoyed Hobcarton peterd – one of the best 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Technical descents – North Lakes’ is closed to new replies.