Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • (Computer) Techie forum recommendations
  • z1ppy

I know lots a stuff gets answered on here but then occasionally you get no replies at all, as it either beyond what most ppl do or you miss the techie guys.
    As I’ve just moved to Windows 7 (we’ll see if it last), from XP missing out that stain of an OS called Vista there a bunch of silly stuff I’m missing and can’t be bothered to spend hours trawling google until I get the correct search parameters to find the answer I want..

So looking for a techie forum that’ll answer the daft stuff without snorts of derision, but could also be useful for more indepth stuff.

Or if you think you can answer them? Off the top of my head I wanna know..

1) Why no “show desktop” button on the task bar anymore, yes if you right click the taskbar the options there, but I want a button, again I reckon I could recreate it, but why’s it not there any more?

2) Why do pinned shortcuts become ‘full’ windows and not stay shortcuts? I love the shortcuts, and may open multiple “explorer” sessions (it was a struggle to get ‘my computer’ on the taskbar without it changing it open my libraries, ffs I don’t want “my libraries” I want “my computer” – I got there but grrrr), you can’t do this using the current setup unless I’m missing something or right click it again and select ‘explorer’ but this is not intuitive..

Stoner
    Free Member

Bottom right hand side of task bar is “show desktop” button. No icon, just a panel.

RHC on taskbar, properties, Taskbar tab, Taskbar buttons “Never Combine”

z1ppy

EDIT: you’ve edited, I’ll re-read and re-post…

Stoner
    Free Member

take your mouse to the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar, press the left hand mouse button 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

right hand click on the task bar select “Properties”/On the taskbar tab of the propertie sdialogue box, go to the heading 5 rows down called “Taskbar Buttons”, slect “Never Combine” from the drop down list.

z1ppy

nope already got that set.. I believed it was to stop multiple session of say IE becoming one on the taskbar, again a pet hate of mine. It doesn’t stop the pinned shortcut staying as a shortcut.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, I get what you mean. Hang on…

z1ppy

Bottom right hand side of task bar is “show desktop” button. No icon, just a panel.

Err do you have a picture of this? Cause all I have on the right hand side are the icons and notifications.
    You mean the panel that appear when you right click, yes I knows it’s there but I don’t understand why they removed it as a pinned shortcut.

1) Why no “show desktop” button on the task bar anymore, yes if you right click the taskbar the options there, but I want a button, again I reckon I could recreate it, but why’s it not there any more?

Appreciate the help btw, even if I seem a bit slow..

Stoner
    Free Member

my show desktop button is pinned.

do you have aero peak of desktop turned off?

z1ppy

yay, got my quicklaunch/show desktop back! Many thanks, hmm what the next link you posted..

I’m not sure my graphic’s card support aero peak, as the option “preview desktop with aero peak” (taskbar properties) is grayed out. Using an older PC which actually runs quite well with Win 7, as I don’t do anything much other than browsing on it, it’s all I need for now (we have an i5 laptop).

z1ppy

Cheers the quick launch hold shortcuts properly (or at least how I want them), WTF is the point of pinned programs compared to the quick launch?

Hey ho, again cheers Stoner.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘(Computer) Techie forum recommendations’ is closed to new replies.