Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • teaching profession to be saved
  • anagallis_arvensis

By taking an oath and getting a compass. FFS is it April fools day? http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29482160

ajantom

Yes, because years of pay freezes, massive amounts of pointless paperwork, sudden curriculum changes, and stealing from our pensions have nothing to do with teacher demoralisation. Please give me a compass, I’ll be a good teacher from now on.

anagallis_arvensis

and I thought giving each school a bible was pointless. I’d by happy with some gluesticks and board pens rather than buying them myself. If this retardotwat thinks getting us to swear an oath is a better idea than providing us with some basic tools of the job then they can get **** I’ll be found in the private sector thanks.

bearnecessities

?

Racing ahead: Singapore’s streets were recently used for a Grand Prix

Well, that’s relevant.

Drac

Is the compass to find your way back to school after your long holidays?

Sorry someone had to say it.

anagallis_arvensis

I think the compass is so we can see which direction the current education sec is going to disappear up his own arse in.

Drac

Haha!

oxym0r0n

I have a British friend who is out in Singapore at the moment. He says there are huge expectations that most of the learning and support is done at home (self/supported study) or using private tutors. Very pressured education and not whole child focussed at all. He did not paint a rosy picture for those children that are not very very academic.

I think there is also a tax of £50,000 if you want to own a car too – that would make cycling on our roads a bit safer!

towzer
    ahwiles
    Free Member

the guessing game that is ‘how much more 541t can the labour party get?’ just keeps turning up surprises doesn’t it?

anagallis_arvensis

Private sector teachers get the same pension as state school teachers. Not sure about pay rates but everyone I know who has made the jump to a similar role has been paid more.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dib dib dib dob dob dob, I oromise to do my best for God and the Queen the education secretary

An oath, yes that will fix things. This from Labour after theyve just come within 600 votes of a bu-election defeat.

We absolutely shouldn’t copy Singapore, a hot house sustem of rote learning with no place for creativity and freedom of expression. The political system is such that you will only ever see positive news about Education out of there. Bas mews isnt tolerated, perjaps the UK MPs are hoping for the same

towzer

I think you need to factor in that (imho) the best opportunity most people ever have to negotiate salary raises is at joining time – consider the following job advert – “Fantastic new opportunity, great employer, fabulous conditions, exactly same salary as before” – ? would you bite.

(Also do the private sector take on ‘raw’ teachers from Uni ie are they doing the age old trick of paying a premium salary which is possible as they spend nothing atall on graduate training/employee development type schemes – plenty of smaller IT firms did this, hence most of my contracts now have a 2 year training costs clawback section to stop people getting trained/extra qualifications[paid for by company] and nipping off immediately for a better deal)

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Not that the buffoon has any chance of becoming education secretary.

The only reason I think there hasn’t been a revolt in the lower echelons of the PLP is because any likely candidates are waiting for the inevitable Miliband train crash to happen before picking up the pieces after the election, and of course having risen through the ‘Labour’ hierarchy in the last two decades they are cut from the same cloth.

Maybe UKIP might paradoxically do the progressive movement a favour by causing the ‘Labour’ party to fragment and so opening a vacancy for a really progressive party to take its place.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He has just been on the radio accepting that it was small thing in a large package of measure to improve the perception of teachers and learning within the community/society.
    Whatever we wish to say respect for and admiration of teachers has declined
    Will this work ? I doubt it but it is at least an attempt at the right thing

This from Labour after theyve just come within 600 votes of a bu-election defeat.

What would you say if one of their MP’s left [ then another just after] stood for your main [ right wing]opposition party whacked you into a humiliating defeat as your own vote capitulated in not one but two by -elections with a third to come? Apparently it is not a thing you will just focus on how bad it has been for labour
    Its pathetic distraction attempt for your own parties woes.

you would be better of either
    1. Facing up to the actual challenge UKIP face to the Tories/right wing
    or
    2. Facing up to the actual challenge UKIP face to the Tories/right wing

Shouting about labour’s problems is a bit loony IMHO
    It is ignoring the burning building of the ruins of the tory party to talk about the smoke wafting across labour land.

matt_outandabout

English teaching profession to be saved

FTFY

Yes we still do have all sorts of cuts, too much paperwork and the many varied teaching stresses.
    But, we already have Professional Update where teachers demonstrate their learning and work, including a commitment to ‘Learning for Sustainability’ and core values of teaching.
    We also have Curriculum for Excellence (not perfect, but damn good). This is backed up by Education Scotland and a lot more freedom to teach in the way you see fit. (again, not reflected in all schools yet)
    We also have GTCS (who I have had personal battles with), but who’s mantra is – you want higher standards, train and invest in teachers. Then train and invest them more.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He stands a very good chance of being the next education minister/secretary or given his “hot” status in labour circles even higher roles await. This is what you get when you let politicians get in the way. Why the surprise?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But ‘Labour’ would have to be elected first and I don’t see that happening at the next election.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    If this retardotwat thinks

Even by recent standards, that comment/description is ridiculously wide of the mark.

bencooper
    Free Member

Wait, this is Labour? Not Gove’s latest brainfart?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They stand as good a chance as anyone at the moment.

Ben keep up 🙂 Gove moved on a while ago! Although TBF, TH doesn’t fill your normal labour stereotype does he!

Spin
    Free Member

Finland is the other country we’re regularly compared to and found wanting.

Finland does this Finland does that, how can we be more like Finland blah blah blah?

Simple, more than double the number of teachers so that we have ratios of 1:12 like them. Is that being discussed? Not likely.

As usual money is the nub of it. BS like that being spouted by labour is just to deflect attention away from the woeful lack of investment in education.

anagallis_arvensis

Towzer. Did you read the article you posted. I dont think it says what you want it to. It says that well qualified people get paid less in the public sector.
    Oh and private schools take newly qualified teachers and experienced teachers and dont take on training costs for the most part.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Many prefer to spend money on season tickets or MTB or expensive cars at the school gate than invest in education. You get what you pay for in the end.

anagallis_arvensis

Even by recent standards, that comment/description is ridiculously wide of the mark.

Got anything to add or are you just happy to sling personal insults?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wait, this is Labour? Not Gove’s latest brainfart?

Exactly @ben, just what I thought when I opened it up.

JY with 7 months to go before a general election the Labour party need to be bringing their A game and making a positive impact. So what do they do, they present this hogwash.

bencooper
    Free Member

And a Labour guy called Tristram?!

Ben keep up

I’m trying not to 😀

miketually
    Free Member

If the oath and compass weren’t included, it’s a commitment to qualified teachers and investment in CPD. I think that’s positive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You get what you pay for in the end.

I think you mean get what you can afford to pay.
    All of these things are cheaper than private education and the later is that for 11 years
    Nearest one to me is 10 k per year for example – that is some bike and season ticket holder – not a great car I grant you but it will still have value after 1 year.
    Were you suggesting we pay more tax and invest this in education?

Jam of course their A game would get your vote [just like the Tory A game would get mine] as it is easy to tell you are an undecided floating voter 😉

anagallis_arvensis

If the oath and compass werent included it would just be pointless words.

maccruiskeen

Interesting notion of a ‘master teacher’ and creating a career path that keeps good teachers teaching. My dad was a totally in-the-blood teacher – even when he was a student he’d teach at the same college he was studying at on saturdays – he later dropped out of the Royal College of Art to study teacher training instead. But the nature of the career structure was if you were really good you get promoted out of the class room. By just 35 he’d progressed his way out of schools entirely, into training teachers and then into the IAS, by 50 he’d run out of career and was out of the eduction sector entirely. There are now teacher-training scholarships in universities in countries he’s never even visited named after him, because his teaching was held in such high regard, but the reality is he was only in the classroom for about 10 years

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am not the one making insults, look in the mirror (yes you can report this too) – merely pointing out that your description of Hunt is ridiculously wide of the mark. He may be mistaken here, but he is intelligent and well educated.

Teachers throwing comments involving “retard” is also wide of the mark. But we do have different views on teaching don’t we?!?

Spin
    Free Member

Teachers throwing comments involving “retard” is also wide of the mark

I agree.

miketually
    Free Member

Labour will abolish Free Schools, require all teachers to be qualified, recouple AS and A2.

Sadly, they’re still obsessed with parental choice when most parents just want the school at the end of their street to be good enough.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Instead you get a patronising oath and a cheap compass. As if teachers weren’t committed to doing the best they can for their pupils, ‘Labour’ think they need to swear an oath to do so. That – ‘Labour’s’ attitude – is the problem here. I can imagine many of their teacher supporters reading this proposal and thinking “WTF?!”.

miketually
    Free Member

Teachers throwing comments involving “retard” is also wide of the mark.

Shit, I agree with thm on an education thread.

anagallis_arvensis

am not the one making insults, look in the mirror (yes you can report this too) 

It may surprise you but I have never reported you for anything. If you get banned its not my fault.

Teachers throwing comments involving “retard” is also wide of the mark.

Wide of the mark or inappropriate? The later I can accept, although I’m not in school so dont care. The former I think is correct, its plain **** stupid to come out with such bollocks even if his name is Tristam and hes well educated.

molgrips
    Free Member

The worst thing about this is the subtext blaming teachers.

Clink

The biggest issue being missed here is parental support. The work ethic is not promoted by many parents; without it teachers face an uphill struggle (perhaps we need an altimeter as well as a compass?!?).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed it is – the only factor that seems to enjoy universal support.

Perhaps they could introduce a parents oath – before I put the down payment on the X5 I will make an investment in my child’s education or rather than going for a ride I will spend time reading with them first?!?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘teaching profession to be saved’ is closed to new replies.