Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Teaching a child to play the guitar
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

I bought my daughter (8yrs old) a 3/4 steel string acoustic for her birthday, and am keen to teach her the basics to see how she progresses, further lessons etc. I play myself so am confident that I can start her off without making any major faux pas’ with technique etc.

Has anyone got any advice on the best approach to teaching a child the guitar? At the moment she is full of enthusiasm (she loves her music) and I’m keen to try and preserve this.

lambchop
    Free Member

Just bung on a Decemberists CD 😆

But seriously if she loves her music start by working out some of her favourite songs with basic chords. G C D and maybe a Em can be made to fit most songs!

My lad (9) has seriously gotten into Weezer over the summer and he’s been lent a strat and amp by some friends. He’s shredding all over the place because he loves the music so much. It’s a joy to see.

Is your STW name Decemberists based by the way?

moniex
    Free Member

Get her some lessons? I am never to sure on teaching anyone you are close to….

My son is 11 and plays drums. He is now going for his grade 5 and loves it (he wanted to do the grades, we did not force him). We did change teachers and now have a great one. Music lessons are never cheap, but with the right teacher are worth it. We pay £25 per hour and he has a lesson every other week (mostly).

Also try and find a place where they do “band stuff” with kids. My son did some workshops in Norwich where we live and it was not expensive and very good.

Simone

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Teaching a child to play the guitar’ is closed to new replies.