Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 261 total)
  • TdF Stage 18 – Sporting Stakes [Spoilers]
  • brakes
    Free Member

not seen it – but Europsport article here

is this from today’s paper?

wwaswas

40mpg – have a look at cyclingfans.com – lists most of the major ones.

this came up on my twitter feed. Good grief!

Nobby

Well Bertie’s gone for it already.

jfletch
    Free Member

Anyone seen the l’Equipe article on Froome yet? Not seen any commentary yet.

It is sumarised on Cycling News.

But beware that the internate addage “don’t read the comments” has never been more true.

I dipped my toe in and as expected its full of nutters and conspiracy theorists from the start!

My favourite being that l’equipe can’t be trusted as Sky are British and ASO are part of the same group as L’equipe and the tour is coming to Britain next year 😯

brakes
    Free Member

this came up on my twitter feed

‘F’ I reckon, although ‘Y’ does have some rather ample thighs.

brakes
    Free Member

these are the interesting bits from the Equipe article, Grappe’s observations:

First observation: His power drops off normally

“The relationship between power and time is similar to what is known and is observed in all the riders that have been established in the record power profile (RPP),” Grappe told Equipe.

“It shows, for example, a significant and normal power reduction of 60 watts (0.88 w/kg) between twenty and sixty minutes efforts. On average an athlete loses fifty watts in this time interval. The RPP that Froome has over two years does not seem to show any abnormality in its fundamental structure. In other words, the power data of the last two years is consistent with the profile that it represents. The performances he made on Ax 3 Domaines and Ventoux were to be expected in view of his PPR. During the last two years, his profile has not changed. It appears that the potential that he has today is similar to the one he had in 2011.

Second observation: an exceptional aerobic potential

“The extremely high maximal aerobic power (efforts of five minutes) confirms that he has an extraordinary high aerobic potential, which means he has a V02 max (this has never been measured in the laboratory by his team) close to the limits of known physiological science.

“The exceptional power that he is able to develop during maximum efforts of five minutes gives him a certain reserve (of strength) compared to other athletes. This gives an indication of why he is capable of performing on the final climbs. It is estimated that, compared to his main rivals, he has a margin of 20 watts extra power. It is this difference that can be seen for example between him and his main rivals on the climbs and Ax 3 Domaines du Ventoux.”

Third observation: a very stable weight

“His average weight over the two years is 68 kg (in the morning) with less than 900g variations. This shows that the power he develops over two years is relatively stable when expressed in watts per kilogram (W/kg), a very important indication of the performances he has shown.”

Fourth observation: excellent recovery

“It is evident that to be able to operate with a power profile near 100% of his maximum, Chris Froome must have excellent ability to recovery between stages. Because if the level of fatigue accumulates too much, it is no longer possible to be close to his records.”

Grappe also studied Froome’s performance in Wednesday’s time trial, saying: “the average power output was still a very well integrated into its power profile once, and therefore completely expected.”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The forecast at Alpe d’Huez is not good and there are fears the second ascent at Alpe d’Huez may have to be cancelled because the descent from the Col de Sarenne (1,999m) to La Ferriere that precedes the final climb will be too dangerous. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, because Eurosport have just broadcast an interview with Tour event director Jean Francois Pescheux who says the riders will just have to deal with whatever weather the gods throw at them. Unless the roads are actually washed away, he says, they’ll be going up Alpe d’Huez twice.

Too right, they are supposed to be the best bikest in the world, and should be able to decend. Might sort them out a bit.

jam-bo

Unless the roads are actually washed away, he says, they’ll be going up Alpe d’Huez twice.

is that a MTFU?

swavis

Sounds like it 😈

portlyone

Unless the roads are actually washed away, he says, they’ll be going up Alpe d’Huez twice.

Now that swapping bikes is positively encouraged why don’t they carry a mtb just in case of this? 😉

Spud

Too right, they’re not f***ballers!!

scud
    Free Member

Of any from that lead 9 riders, would love to see Jens Voight do it!!

tinsy
    Free Member

What are Roche & Paulinho doing? There must be a Saxo plan, but you would have thought they would be sticking with Contador… What am I missing in the tactics plan?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Listening to Phil Lig where the hell is bourg d wosian??

nedrapier

someone’s suggested that they’re staying out there to help Contador ping past and away later on.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Listening to Phil Lig where the hell is bourg d wosian??

I’ve never been sure how to pronounce the name of that Bourg D’Oisans, and I’ve been there twice.

(Cant tell if you’re joking or not, but its at the foot of Alpe D’Huez)

scaredypants

What am I missing in the tactics plan?

Contador tries to get a gap either on the climb or descent, then catches his mates who tow him back round for the last ascent

fisha
    Free Member

During the last two years, his profile has not changed. It appears that the potential that he has today is similar to the one he had in 2011.

I think this is an interesting point … the following question being “what has changed/been removed with the other riders for their performance to decrease / fall away ?”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep know where it is, think I spotted a couple of mates after the Bourg roundaboout

llama

well roche is back – what’s going on there then – must be a change of plan

crazy-legs

Having a team-mate up the road is very good tactics. Firstly it means you/your team doesn’t have to chase; secondly, when all the other teams have exhausted themselves chasing the move down, you’ve got two fresh riders there to help launch you/your team leader to the win.

There’s the other factor (bit of a double edged sword) that if the team leader crack, you’ve still got two riders who can push on and get a high placing but equally, they’re not there to help if TL does fall to pieces…

rOcKeTdOg

i’m sweating sat here watching them #toughjob

16stonepig
    Free Member

Was that a Cornish flag?

tinsy
    Free Member

Nah just a pirate…

tinsy
    Free Member

Flippin idiot supporters in the way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Contador tries to get a gap either on the climb or descent, then catches his mates who tow him back round for the last ascent

the only flaw is that he is slower than Froome so he cannot drop him on climbs

he will be caught whatever he tries but he will try something

crazy-legs

I’d laugh if they just rode tempo all the way. The commentators all giving it the “oh this is the queen stage, it’ll blow to hell on the second ascent…”

Be funny if they just let a few random attacks go and just sat there watching… 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Those fans seem more in the way than usual .I`m surprised one hasnt collected a proper smack in the gob by now

eth3er
    Free Member

Help a fellow out, is Bertie Contador? Also how would you correctly punctuate that sentence so it isn’t even remotely confusing. Ta

molgrips
    Free Member

If I were a pro I would not be able to stop myself smacking a few in the gob, I must say.

imnotverygood

I agree. I wish the crowd had just one face, so that someone could punch it.

molgrips
    Free Member

A clothesline would be fairly effective, easy to do, and very amusing.

crazy-legs

Wow, who’s given Schleck an injection of go-faster juice?

crazy-legs

Oh poor Tommy V. 🙁

tinsy
    Free Member

Wow, who’s given Schleck an injection of go-faster juice?

I think he may have read the rubbishing he took on STW & is showing us what he can do…

brakes
    Free Member

Help a fellow out, is Bertie Contador? Also how would you correctly punctuate that sentence so it isn’t even remotely confusing

yep. Alberto = Bertie.
    not sure how you’d punctuate it though – help a fellow out, is Bertie, Contador ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Help a fellow out. Is “Bertie” Contador?

eth3er
    Free Member

Thank you dear sirs.

tinsy
    Free Member

Do you think he mudded himself?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got the sound off – who was that going off at that corner? And the other guy he was with now seems to have dropped the camera motorbike.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 18 – Sporting Stakes [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.