Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tapered forks – yeah, whatever!
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

No wonder there are so many cheap offers for after-market tapered steerer forks. The headsets to fit them are like rocking horse doo-dah.

Have I bought into a “technology” (I use the term loosely) that the industry has not fully bought into, or am I suffering from being an early adopter (of something that has been around a while!)?

Bike build has been in pieces for weeks now 👿

tree-magnet
    Free Member
    ooOOoo
    Free Member

I’ve gone for the Cane Creek XXc, which will run normal or tapered.
    You are suffering as ze early adaptor of course!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Hope do one..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

tree-magnet, that is the ONLY one I can find in stock that doesn’t cost a bomb (pardon the pun). I bought an FSA reducer headset thinking I could buy a 1.5″ crown race to adapt it, but no one has the crown race in stock. I’m reluctant to spend more money

wwaswas

I’m reluctant to spend more money

I think you’re in the wrong sport/activity/pastime 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Whoo hoo! Timely good news. Looks like the crown race is back in stock – someone must be watching me type this 😯

stilltortoise
    Free Member

wwaswas, don’t I know it. I used to climb and ski a lot. Must find cheaper hobby 😕

ben
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare King & reducer race if you’re interested?

neninja
    Free Member

Try giving Balfa a call 01442 826007 – they import Acros headsets (German brand). I know Acros do a tapered headset and they are typical German quality.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ll keep it in mind thanks chaps, but looks like my luck is in. The FSA 1.5″ crown race I’m after is back in stock

goosander
    Free Member

I had the same problem – got a very good deal on some tapered Talas forks for my Ti456 but then had to find a suitable headset.

In the end I end I went for this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Gravity-By-FSA-DX-Pro-Internal-MTB-Headset_30765.htm

Orderered it and it arrived in a few days. Syncros also do one that a couple of places have – google it. Another option if stuck is to order from Germany (www.hibike.com) as they seem to have a fair selection of them.

santacrews
    Free Member

I had same problem after purchasing some new FOX Van RC tapered forx,

Ended up getting a Chris King one about 3 Months ago one of the new inset ones, which were strangely advertised at the interbike show recently as not out yet ?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

goosander, that link is for a headset for a tapered head tube. My headtube is not tapered, it is just the steerer on the forks that is tapered. Cheers anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tapered forks – yeah, whatever!’ is closed to new replies.